ADVERTISEMENT

Zion officially 6-6.....across

1. easy...his knees will not take that pounding at a high weight
2. see 1
3. at his weight vs height, of course....have you ever seen that Canadian white guy dunking videos? that is a freak athlete is making millions of nothing in the NBA
Just a question on #3.

Did the Canadian white guy play D1 basketball in a power 5 conference and average 22.6 ppg on 68% shooting?

Many people on here are (clearly) going to act like complete goofs about Zion almost no matter what. The reality is that he was an obvious #1 overall choice, and has a tremendously high ceiling. He is very comparable to Julius Randle, who has turned into a solid player, except he's vastly quicker and more explosive. He doesn't struggle with length the way that Randle often did, because he can get past and over guys in a way that Randle never could. Borne out by the college stats, BTW.

Williamson is too explosive not to be at least good. Great will come if he develops his other skills, most clearly shooting, but also passing. On that front, though, he was a more willing passer last year than Barrett, as the ball didn't stick to him the way it did with Barrett.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catzman
I think his ceiling is Charles Barkley 2.0

Has to develop some type of reliable jumper. He’s okay when he has forever to set up. Absolutely no midrange or pull-up game like Barkley had.

Weight is weight so far as gravity is concerned; muscle or fat, it's having a debilitating effect on his knees having to absorb impact from 300 lbs. coming back to earth.

Exactly. Plus the way he plays he puts tons of pressure on his lower body. He's actually lucky his shoe blew out last year. On that cut, something had to give. If not the shoe it would've been a joint or ligament.

He'll have some nice highlights. Will be interesting to see how he is officiated. That will really be key. But I expect alot of help side blocks due to his height.

My guess, he will be another typical Duke player in the NBA and have a good career but never live up to the hype of being a Great. How many of K’s former players ended up being world beaters in the league?

That was his height at Duke where he measured 6’7 in shoes. In any case he will still be very good to great in the NBA. Height means absolutely nothing
Stamina does though and this guy with so much body fat is going to physically struggle the long season

Btw 8 min longer games and 24 sec clock. They sat zion through preseason. That’s telling

I think Reddish ends up having the best NBA career out of the three Duke Diva rookies.
That’s quite the prediction! I know the Hawks GM would be glad to hear that.
Was Reddish not able to show his talent with the priorities?

In a couple of years, will we be asking how did Duke not go undefeated with the talent they had?

giphy.gif
Ok Gene. You're getting Wilder everyday.

Reactions: FFWhite
It will be interesting to see when he gets hit by the big boys and he looks at the official with that "Hey I am a Dookie, I played for the Rat Faced Bastard , your supposed to call that for me "

Barkley is the best comparison. Barkley lost weight as his career went along. If he has the discipline to do that he will be a hall of famer

It is really too much weight no matter the type for his body to carry doing what he will have to be doing. The joints will go...

It's crazy that one of the best centers in the league is KAT and he is 7' and weighs about 250. While Zion is 6" shorter and outweighs him by 35 pounds. There is no way a body with that much mass having that much force put on it will hold up very many years. Especially with the potential to play 90+ games a season.

I'd be surprised if he makes it more than 4 or 5 years without a major injury of some kind. Probably a knee going out. Could you imagine how hard it will be to recover from a major knee injury with all that weight on it?

Reactions: BBUK
I M wx
[QwxpeTE="Jakarii, post: 8260432, member: 57583"]That was his height at Duke where he measured 6’7 in shoes. In any case he will still be very good to great in the NBA. Height means absolutely nothing[/QUOTE] I am leaning to injury and bust

Zion's game relies solely on attacking the rim and using physicality and explosiveness to muscle through or out jump the defenders. He has absolutely no pull up game, zero. He either plows to the basket or shoots wide open set shots, which he doesn't shoot very well. I can't see him becoming a super star that way and he hasn't shown any ability to play any other way.

Zion's game relies solely on attacking the rim and using physicality and explosiveness to muscle through or out jump the defenders. He has absolutely no pull up game, zero. He either plows to the basket or shoots wide open set shots, which he doesn't shoot very well. I can't see him becoming a super star that way and he hasn't shown any ability to play any other way.
The question then, is if he's so one dimensional, why couldn't anyone on the college level even come close to stopping him? His stats were unprecedented. He closed out the season with a 7 game ACC/NCAA Tournament stretch in which he averaged 26.4 ppg on 67% shooting.

He's certainly going to need to expand his skills. That's true of every single player who's ever come into the NBA, at least for the last 30-40 years. But the ability to smoke defenders off the dribble, which he very clearly has, has been the foundation for many of the greatest player in NBA history. What separated Michael Jordan when he came in the league? Or Kobe? Or LeBron? None of them were really great shooters. What makes Giannis Antetokounmpo so good? Definitely not shooting.

Zion is a 280 lbs athletic force of nature that handles the ball like a guard. That is not a guarantee of a HOF career, but it's one hell of a building block for that.

The question then, is if he's so one dimensional, why couldn't anyone on the college level even come close to stopping him? His stats were unprecedented. He closed out the season with a 7 game ACC/NCAA Tournament stretch in which he averaged 26.4 ppg on 67% shooting.

He's certainly going to need to expand his skills. That's true of every single player who's ever come into the NBA, at least for the last 30-40 years. But the ability to smoke defenders off the dribble, which he very clearly has, has been the foundation for many of the greatest player in NBA history. What separated Michael Jordan when he came in the league? Or Kobe? Or LeBron? None of them were really great shooters. What makes Giannis Antetokounmpo so good? Definitely not shooting.

Zion is a 280 lbs athletic force of nature that handles the ball like a guard. That is not a guarantee of a HOF career, but it's one hell of a building block for that.

This... When I see people calling Zion one dimensional and saying he wont be able to play. Its just based off hate. You can improve your skill set you cant just magically get the tools and God given gifts that this kid has. Not only does he have them he knows how to use them to their fullest. Too often we see kids with un real athletic ability just waste them with a mediocre motor or the inability to control their body.

Zion is explosive yet nimble. He is big yet light on his feet. Injury is a concern yes but baring a major career injury everything about this kid screams star. Rather he elevates his game to MVP\superstar level will be determined on how his skill set improves.

You're trying to compare him to three of the best to ever play (two of them 2 guards) and the current MVP? I understand players develop shots and can improve their shooting, but to use those guys as an example is a bit ridiculous. My point is, at no time in Zion's life has he ever shown the ability to do anything but go to the hole or hit the occasional wide open, set three. Can he improve on those areas? Sure. I'm just of the opinion that based on how he plays the game and his shooting mechanics, it will be difficult for him to add that dimension, and his college game will only translate so much.

Reactions: Blueaz
The problem with Zion is that he's an athlete first. If he loses that athleticism, through any multitude of injuries, he doesn't have true basketball skill to fall back on.. at least not to the level of top5 draft picks. His skill is that nobody can stop him

Reactions: Blueaz
The problem with Zion is that he's an athlete first. If he loses that athleticism, through any multitude of injuries, he doesn't have true basketball skill to fall back on.. at least not to the level of top5 draft picks. His skill is that nobody can stop him

We talk about his knees but don't forget his back. His style of play with his weight is terrible on the back over a period of years.

We talk about his knees but don't forget his back. His style of play with his weight is terrible on the back over a period of years.

Feet, knees, hips, back... Joints, bones, muscles..You name it. being 280 lbs is not good for the body. The hope for him is that the NBA calendar will help him lose weight and get into more playing shape.

But that's the game here: does he lose weight and avoid injury, or does he get injured and gain weight?

Feet, knees, hips, back... Joints, bones, muscles..You name it. being 280 lbs is not good for the body. The hope for him is that the NBA calendar will help him lose weight and get into more playing shape.

But that's the game here: does he lose weight and avoid injury, or does he get injured and gain weight?
It'll be fun to check back on this thread in a few years. Edit: not saying anything about your comment in particular, it was just the most recent here.

It'll be fun to check back on this thread in a few years. Edit: not saying anything about your comment in particular, it was just the most recent here.

He could very well be fine. Nobody really knows. But what is known is that he CAN NOT gain much more weight. He has next to zero room for error here. If Zion were to somehow get up to 300lbs, it's only a matter of time before something gvies on him.

ADVERTISEMENT