ADVERTISEMENT

Zags says Duke favorite for Barrett....

On5-3-.gif

I'm pretty sure that CoachX had something to say about the media always saying that Duke was leading for every recruit (and also Kansas to an extent). I believe he said that Duke and KU put out info that they are leading for many recruits whether it's true or not just to make themselves look good. He also said that Cal takes the opposite approach and downplays how well we're doing with a recruit.

Maybe I just dreamed that up or maybe CoachX wasn't the guy who said all this, but I remember reading something along those lines on CI at one time or another.

And when they go to UK, they can go run to Goodman and any others that "things were fishy" in the recruitment and that's why they didn't end up with them. Self and K (and Capel) would NEVER get their hands dirty...

Reactions: Mr_GG
Yeah, a lot of people said Knox to Duke and Bamba to Duke. Where did they sign? Certainly not Duke. I believe in Cal and when he goes all in on a recruit, he gets that recruit quite often.

Calipari sold Knox on being able to play the 2 when Diallo was on the fence between leaving to the draft and coming back which is what pushed him UK's way. Knox wasn't going to take away playing time from Grayson Allen at the SG position.

Between Diallo, Knox, Washington, Vanderbilt and Gabriel...one of those 5 McDonald All Americans is going to be unhappy with their PT next year. [winking]
The only one that'll be unhappy is you.

I used to let the prognostications of all the best players choosing Duke bother me. After a while, I realized that it doesn't mean a thing, and that Cal is the best at what he does. Plus, when they do not choose Duke, it makes it look like Cal, and UK, stole them away.

Haven't they landed the entire top 50 for the past 30 years?
That would be UK, Kentucky has landed 21 RSCI Top 10 recruits since the HS Class of 2009 when Calipari became coach compared to 10 for Duke.

The dirty truth that Big Blue Nation doesn't want to acknowledge is that Cal literally owned Duke in recruiting for the first 5 years while he was at UK piling up 15 RSCI Top 10 recruits compared to just 3 for Duke.

Only recently has Duke caught up producing 7 RSCI Top 10 recruits in the past 4 year's compared to UK's 6.

That was said about UNC/Smith, didn't happen.
It was said about Kansas/Williams, didn't happen.
It was said about Louisville/Crum, didn't happen.
It was said about UCLA/Wooden, didn't happen
It was said about Indiana/Knight, sort of happened except 1997 and 2002.
Syracuse on launch pad. Temple left, St. Johns is trying to recoup, Notre Dame is standing pat (not surging/not failing).
umm thats exactly what happened to UCLA, louisville has basically been irrelevant on a national level for years (they will be even more irrelevent once they don't have the pitino/ky story line to make it interesting), Indiana's program is basically division 2 these days

That would be UK, Kentucky has landed 21 RSCI Top 10 recruits since the HS Class of 2009 when Calipari became coach compared to 10 for Duke.

The dirty truth that Big Blue Nation doesn't want to acknowledge is that Cal literally owned Duke in recruiting for the first 5 years while he was at UK piling up 15 RSCI Top 10 recruits compared to just 3 for Duke.

Only recently has Duke caught up producing 7 RSCI Top 10 recruits in the past 4 year's compared to UK's 6.
Pretty sure theres no 'dirty little truth' that we're not acknowledging. We know we owned you all in recruiting, but that was before the almighty Coach K decided that recruiting one and dones was OK and now everyone thinks its the greatest thing since Betty White and praises Coach K for adapting while slamming Cal for starting it. Wentzel was joking, but clearly that escaped you.

Has UK ever been the favorite for elite talent?

Pretty sure theres no 'dirty little truth' that we're not acknowledging. We know we owned you all in recruiting, but that was before the almighty Coach K decided that recruiting one and dones was OK and now everyone thinks its the greatest thing since Betty White and praises Coach K for adapting while slamming Cal for starting it. Wentzel was joking, but clearly that escaped you.
Exactly per the "experts" Duke leads for every top 10 recruit every year ... Until they sign elsewhere.

Reactions: gracetoyou
Duke has been heavily involved for Barrett and is in regular contact, with one source saying it’s his “favorite school.”

Who would have thought? Is there any recruit under the sun that all analyst do not say that Duke is the favorite?

Duke has been past the sweet 16 five times since the year 2000 & and their players NBA success is a joke compared just to UK in the last 8 years.

I guess Team USA? I guess perception about Coach K rules the day? Perception is reality unfortunately!

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/07/31/canadian-star-rj-barrett-targeting-reclass-announcement-august/

Don't they have two titles compared to UK's one since Cal started?

Where's all the titles? 5 in 37 seasons with more Mcdonalds all america
Don't they have two titles compared to UK's one since Cal started?

Read all of my posts throughout this thread

I can't comprehend how this kids can watch Duke and "like" Duke. I can't think of a team that has had more unlikeable players than Duke, and I can't remember the last time they had a player who was at all likeable - Jefferson maybe?

Compare that to douchebags like Grayson Allen, Justice Winslow, Miles Plumlee, Austin Rivers, etc etc.. Even their "star" player last year, Tatum, had a bad reputation as a selfish player and was vilified by Duke fans for 90% of the season.

I know I'm biased, but UK has had a ton of great kids in the last few years. I can even look at a team I hate - UNC - and admit they seem to always have a lot of likeable kids on their teams - Berry, Justin Jackson, Marcus Paige, etc.

I will never understand the Duke love from so many of this kids.

Calipari sold Knox on being able to play the 2 when Diallo was on the fence between leaving to the draft and coming back which is what pushed him UK's way. Knox wasn't going to take away playing time from Grayson Allen at the SG position.

Between Diallo, Knox, Washington, Vanderbilt and Gabriel...one of those 5 McDonald All Americans is going to be unhappy with their PT next year. [winking]

No, Knox's dad basically said going to UK was the safest pick for his son's future. Sited Cal's record at developing and getting players the best prepared for NBA.

No, Knox's dad basically said going to UK was the safest pick for his son's future. Sited Cal's record at developing and getting players the best prepared for NBA.

No, he said this:
KK: We never took that into consideration. That's why the experts never had Kentucky as one of Kevin's final two. We knew what Cal said from the first day he saw him and what he was going to be and that never wavered. He's a 2-guard. He's so similar to Kevin Durant, Paul George and that's scary. He said, 'we're going to play him as a guard.' Point blank period. Cal said watch Malik Monk because when he leaves, you're going to fill right in.

Here's your link:

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Bolt/...sses-Kentuckys-rare-recruiting-upset-52713696

UK has (only) 3 titles since field expanded to 64. Duke has the most of any school with 5. To make it fair, let's look at the last 3 titles for each.

If you add up the seeds each team beat to win it and divide by 6 (wins it takes to win it), you get the avg seed faced for each tourney.

UK
96 - 6
98 - 6.3
12 - 6.1

Duke
01 - 6.6
10- 6.3
15 - 5.6

You then take the sum of those scores and divide by 3 (years measured) and you get an average "difficulty" of seeding.

UK - 6.13
Duke- 6.16

So basically you don't know shit and the difference between the amazing runs your cats have made and the "cakewalks" that Duke has faced is .03.
How many Power 5 conference champs were in Duke's region in 2015? How many on Duke's entire side of the bracket? So, basically you don't know shit. I'll hang up and listen.

No, he said this:
KK: We never took that into consideration. That's why the experts never had Kentucky as one of Kevin's final two. We knew what Cal said from the first day he saw him and what he was going to be and that never wavered. He's a 2-guard. He's so similar to Kevin Durant, Paul George and that's scary. He said, 'we're going to play him as a guard.' Point blank period. Cal said watch Malik Monk because when he leaves, you're going to fill right in.

Here's your link:

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Bolt/...sses-Kentuckys-rare-recruiting-upset-52713696

You do realize there are other articles after his commitment. His dad DID say this in one of the last articles.

No, he said this:

Here's your link:

"Play him as a guard." That's the key phrase. Cal plays his 2 and 3 both as guards. Knox knows Cal will play him "as a guard" at the 3 spot, most of the time.

I expect to see Knox in the Monk/Murray role with Diallo in the Briscoe role, on the offensive end. Knox is the better shooter of the two and will come off screens like Monk/Murray. Diallo will be used more as a slasher off the dribble like Briscoe. Knox will guard the other teams 3 on defense with Diallo guarding the 2.

Knox would play the 4 for Duke. Not a bad gig, worked for Parker, Winslow, Ingram, and Tatum. Just wasn't what he wanted to do.

Knox will be a wing as he should be. Cal will expect him to do things a 3 and a 4 would do. Knowing Cal, utilizing his height when he is cold will be a point of emphasis. Not wasting his height on the boards will also be expected. With Cal's system it is easy for him to tell a 6-8 player he can play guard if he can handle, shoot and pass like a guard. In the end, he will play wherever it is best for the team.

UK has (only) 3 titles since field expanded to 64. Duke has the most of any school with 5. To make it fair, let's look at the last 3 titles for each.

If you add up the seeds each team beat to win it and divide by 6 (wins it takes to win it), you get the avg seed faced for each tourney.

UK
96 - 6
98 - 6.3
12 - 6.1

Duke
01 - 6.6
10- 6.3
15 - 5.6

You then take the sum of those scores and divide by 3 (years measured) and you get an average "difficulty" of seeding.

UK - 6.13
Duke- 6.16

So basically you don't know shit and the difference between the amazing runs your cats have made and the "cakewalks" that Duke has faced is .03.
That's a great made up statistic, who would've known if you take two numbers close in range and divide them twice they'd be similar to each other.

UK
96 - 6
98 - 6.3
12 - 6.1

Duke
01 - 6.6
10- 6.3
15 - 5.6

UK - 6.13
Duke- 6.16

Not counting the opening round games cause those are a gimme.

2010: Duke played Cal, Purdue WITHOUT Hummel, their star player, Baylor, WVU and then BUTLER

2012: UK played Iowa State (Royce White was one of the best players in the country), Indiana, Baylor, Louisville and Kansas

2015: Duke played San Diego State, Utah, Gonzaga and Wisconsin

If you don't see the difference in the teams UK and Duke had to face, I don't know what to tell you.

But there in lies the problem. Thinking of which SFs have come through here and been successful in the NBA (Gilchrist maybe, paid well but not an elite player). When you look at the list of players, they are either centers/PF or guard. It is more positional than overall.

21-10 in Favor of Kentucky
7-6 in favor of Duke

Don't think I would exactly consider that as "caught up"

Reactions: Mr_GG
I just wanna know what happened to my post in response to this new Duke fan. You know, the one about him with balls and another body part. Did the mods delete it? I know @Willy4UK saw it. [laughing]

UK
96 - 6
98 - 6.3
12 - 6.1

Duke
01 - 6.6
10- 6.3
15 - 5.6

UK - 6.13
Duke- 6.16

Uh...dipwhit if the committee puts you in a bracket with poor teams the seed doesn't mean crap.

That was said about UNC/Smith, didn't happen.
It was said about Kansas/Williams, didn't happen.
It was said about Louisville/Crum, didn't happen.
It was said about UCLA/Wooden, didn't happen
It was said about Indiana/Knight, sort of happened except 1997 and 2002.
Syracuse on launch pad. Temple left, St. Johns is trying to recoup, Notre Dame is standing pat (not surging/not failing).

Just a comment.

Louisville technically hasn't done anything since Crum since every good accomplishment is about to be gone.

UCLA seems to be pretty down. They won one but other than that for history of school it's not much.

Uconn is disappearing fast.

Duke very possible could.

Indiana for most part has lost quite a bit.

We'll see if Florida. Seems to have a good hire there to sustain or built up on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT