ADVERTISEMENT

Zags haters, hide your eyes

Live look at Gonzaga fans coming to a Kentucky forum at 9:45 am after their team lost not even 12 hours ago:

ea98b306a6b3b462179ae769da3a054bbfb94ead.gifv

Jesus, go away already..
Jesus will never go away. He will never leave us nor forsake us.

As for me, I had 10 replies in my in box when I woke up and responded to some. Have a great day.

I don’t hate the Zags, I don’t even care if they win a title to be honest, I just didn’t want them to go undefeated in a non-standard year and have to hear about it from the Bennies for the next half century. It would have always had a large asterisk from me.

EXACTLY. The best teams in the nation, especially Gonzaga, could not have had an easier path to an undefeated season in modern times. 8 less games. No true road games.. I mean, hell.. COVID helped knock out Gonzaga's #2 (Iowa), #3 (Kansas) and #4 (Virginia).

No other fanbase particularly wants to see a team go undefeated... but certainly not in conditions like this. The Basketball Gods made sure some nonsense like that didn't happen.. Basketball Gods and Timme's beard kisses..

I don’t hate the Zags, I don’t even care if they win a title to be honest, I just didn’t want them to go undefeated in a non-standard year and have to hear about it from the Bennies for the next half century. It would have always had a large asterisk from me.
excellent point...that would have been terrible

excellent point...that would have been terrible

Honestly.. that could have been the last and only undefeated team in modern times.. and it might have been that way for decades.

You're just not going to roll through 34 games, many in tough road environments, and not slip up somewhere.

No team, not Gonzaga Baylor or anyones else, deserved to have an undefeated season this year.

Wait, Bobio has been a Zags fan this whole time? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Zags fan, Kentucky respecter. I think a Grady/Zegarowski backcourt would be amazing for UK if it could happen, if not the kid from Tiledo or Carr would be a nice pan B. I like Mintz coming back for veteran leadership. I just don't know if Cal is the right man for the job anymore, this season is HUGE for Kentucky basketball.

I was quoting a specific poster. He kept talking about ''blame" and being the glass half full kinda guy that I am, I asked him why blame anyone? Why not give Baylor the credit they deserve for playing incredible? Who wouldn't they have blown out yesterday?
You’re on someone else's message board, you're just going to have to deal with it.
You should see how UK fans are immediately treated on non-UK boards.
You get no sympothy from anyone on this board. Sorry, nobody is going to give you what you're craving.

Obviously not, because if those teams were so good, they would've been facing Baylor in the championship game last night and not the Zags.

Oh....that's right, I was actually referring to this years tournament and not some alternate reality where teams from yesteryear can play in hypothetical matchups that can't actually occur in real life.
I guess it takes a bit of common sense to understand what I was getting at. Here, I'll explain.

Gonzaga 20/21 was being compared to all the greatest teams that ever played. They were undefeated and were supposed to have an unstoppable offense, so when you get those kind of accolades, you're going to get compared to other teams that were proven to be great.

Gonzaga was down by 20 at one point, yes, Baylor is good, but a team that is supposed to be one of the greatest of all time, doesn’t get blown out like that when the stakes are at their highest.

I guess it takes a bit of common sense to understand what I was getting at. Here, I'll explain.

Gonzaga 20/21 was being compared to all the greatest teams that ever played. They were undefeated and were supposed to have an unstoppable offense, so when you get those kind of accolades, you're going to get compared to other teams that were proven to be great.

Gonzaga was down by 20 at one point, yes, Baylor is good, but a team that is supposed to be one of the greatest of all time, doesn’t get blown out like that when the stakes are at their highest.
By who? Got a link? Great team? Yes, many pontificated on that. Greatest ever? I haven't heard that once by anyone of note and think this is more of a figment of your imagination to justify your hate for the Zags. The better team won last night and it wasn't close. Props to Baylor.

I don’t think they’ll ever win one. Unless they can skate without playing a physical and athletic team all the way through. I’m trying to tell people, their conference hurts them. Been saying it all year this year and for many, many years.
I agree, like I said earlier I don’t know if he will build a better suited team to win. He may, their recruiting is taking off now but he’s had upperclassmen and he’s had talent now. Still can’t get over the hump. He’s a heck of a coach but it will hurt knowing he was this close again.

By who? Got a link? Great team? Yes, many pontificated on that. Greatest ever? I haven't heard that once by anyone of note and think this is more of a figment of your imagination to justify your hate for the Zags. The better team won last night and it wasn't close. Props to Baylor.
Oh, you're going to play dumb now.
No, I don't have a link to what Jay Bilas, Seth Greenburg, Rece Davis and Laphonso Ellis said on college gameday multiple times.

We were beat over the head with it all season long, but here you are playing dumb. Nice job.

Lets use common sense here, Gonzaga was undefeated going into the tournament and a heavy favorite to win it all. Naturally people are going to ride that "historic" train.

Honestly.. that could have been the last and only undefeated team in modern times.. and it might have been that way for decades.

You're just not going to roll through 34 games, many in tough road environments, and not slip up somewhere.

No team, not Gonzaga Baylor or anyones else, deserved to have an undefeated season this year.
What kind of a statement is that. That doesn't make a lick of sence

What kind of a statement is that. That doesn't make a lick of sence

34 games being the number for a NORMAL regular season.. which means 40 games total for a perfect season (6 from the tournament).. Not 32 which is 20% of the season hacked off.

Deserving of a title is NOT the same as deserving of an undefeated season. Both Baylor and Gonzaga were deserving of a title. But I don't think any team this year is deserving of an undefeated season with how COVID changed this year's basketball season.

A game or two less is one thing.. not 20-25% less games.

Last edited:
As a Kansas fan, I consider Zags every bit a top 10 program over the last 10-15 years and probably a top 5 now. The analytics don’t lie and they don’t have bias.

They’re going to be stacked next year.

Also, why do people put so much stock into one game? Did 2015 Wisconsin really **prove** they were better than Kentucky? That’s beyond dumb. They were on one night, but so what?

Put it this way: Baylor beat us, then lost to us this year. Diff games on diff nites. IF we could beat Baylor Zags sures hell can

If they got those 3 guys to play front court. I think they would have the same problem not athletic aka white

Nobody hates Gonzaga. Truth to tell, we only hate the hype. Monson built a decent program and Few took it further. The only thing I had against them this season was the hype. It's also so strange to have this board littered with Gonzaga fans talking shit. I expect UNC, Duke, UL, Tennessee fans coming by, especially when we had our worst season ever. But Gonzaga? What's next, Loyola-Chicago fans on here demanding respect?

All you people hyping up Zags and on Few’s nuts need to find a new board. I’m sure the 20 people on the Zags board, that can name 6 players in their entire history, should have some good discussions for ya.

Nobody hates Gonzaga. Truth to tell, we only hate the hype. Monson built a decent program and Few took it further. The only thing I had against them this season was the hype. It's also so strange to have this board littered with Gonzaga fans talking shit. I expect UNC, Duke, UL, Tennessee fans coming by, especially when we had our worst season ever. But Gonzaga? What's next, Loyola-Chicago fans on here demanding respect?

But we may not be hearing much from UNC and Louis in coming few years. I don’t think either will be a threat for a while

I have no idea what the future holds. We're in a new era.

It’s the perfect time for Zags to be elite. Coach K is almost 75, Roy retired, Kansas might be on probation, Arizona fires Miller, Kentucky struggling with OAD, big budget footballers (Florida, Texas, Ohio St, USC etc) spinning wheels.

This will be a very rocky transition period for the sport and the landscape might permanently change. Just like it did early 1980s when the urban schools (Houston, DePaul, GTown, SJohns, Dayton, Nova) supplanted the campus schools.

Then it went back a bit once the P5 conf revenues exploded circa 1996ish.

What big time program becomes the football equivalent of faded glories ie Nebraska, Tennessee, penn state?

I think preseason rankings this early are absurd, especially not knowing who's in and who's out and the transfer portal, but the Zags are the early favorites by Espn ,Jeff Goodman and now 247. A Kessler, Timme, Chet frontcourt will be absurd, but the backcourt losing Suggs and Ayayi will take a step back, imho, not to mention no more Kispert. Nembhard at the point will be very good, but I just don't think Sallis is anywhere close to Suggs level.

Ayayi will not be missed.

If they got those 3 guys to play front court. I think they would have the same problem not athletic aka white
There you go talking about white people. If someone says spmething about black people they would be suspended from this board. Come on moderaters, this racist shit goes both ways, doesn't it ? Or can anything be said about white people and that is fine, but turn it around and rhen you would want to hang someone.

i just took the first google hit.

EXACTLY. The best teams in the nation, especially Gonzaga, could not have had an easier path to an undefeated season in modern times. 8 less games. No true road games.. I mean, hell.. COVID helped knock out Gonzaga's #2 (Iowa), #3 (Kansas) and #4 (Virginia).

No other fanbase particularly wants to see a team go undefeated... but certainly not in conditions like this. The Basketball Gods made sure some nonsense like that didn't happen.. Basketball Gods and Timme's beard kisses..
Excellent post. I couldn’t have said it any better myself. If Gonzaga had pulled it off, the narrative would’ve switched to whether they were better than the 2015 UK team. Hell, it already had. Actually, the talking heads would’ve claimed they were better. 😆

The answer is no, no they weren’t. Kentucky 2015 would’ve thumped this Gonzaga team. They couldn’t even come close to matching Baylor’s speed and athleticism. What makes people think they could’ve matched 2015 Kentucky?! What a joke.

i just took the first google hit.
Ugh this is just blasphemous. This Gonzaga team shouldn’t be put up there with those other great all time teams that didn’t win it. The media love affair is just absurd.

For one, none of those teams were blown out or got beat wire to wire. Two, the weak schedule Gonzaga played. They didn’t beat any blue bloods. Kentucky beat at least four in 2015. Furthermore, Gonzaga had the advantage of this being a shortened Covid season. No road games either. Just isn’t the same, no matter how they try to spin it.

Reactions: Nuke99m
I agree. Nobody was going to beat the Baylor team that showed up last night.
No team this season. Teams of seasons past, absolutely. There wasn’t a team this season that would beat any of the top 6 teams of 2015. That was an incredible year in college ball and Kentucky was the best. Officiating and Cal’s mismanagement cost them.

2012 UK and 2015 UK

Plenty more than that to be honest.

I also don't think Baylor is as truly good as they played. At one point they were around 80% from three and up until the last 7 or so minutes they were what 56%? Sorry, no team is that good. It balanced out when the game was out of reach sure, but they shoot under 42%. Still great, but not getting up 19+ points in the game by hitting 80%+. They were hot. They also averaged about 69% from the FT line throughout the season but were 88% in the title game.

The refs also let them play very, very, physical defense. That alone made it near impossible for Gonzaga to get going. A different officiating crew and Baylor is backing off because they wouldn't have had enough players to finish the game otherwise.

Several UK teams would have beat both Gonzaga and Baylor. But just going from the 2000s Both Villanova title teams. Every team in the Final four in 2008. 2009 UNC. Probably 2006 and 2007 Florida. 2004 UConn. 2012 and 2015 UK. Maybe a few others.

Just my opinion of course, but college basketball was fairly weak this season.

Zags fan, Kentucky respecter. I think a Grady/Zegarowski backcourt would be amazing for UK if it could happen, if not the kid from Tiledo or Carr would be a nice pan B. I like Mintz coming back for veteran leadership. I just don't know if Cal is the right man for the job anymore, this season is HUGE for Kentucky basketball.
I guess you prefer Billy G.

Excellent post. I couldn’t have said it any better myself. If Gonzaga had pulled it off, the narrative would’ve switched to whether they were better than the 2015 UK team. Hell, it already had. Actually, the talking heads would’ve claimed they were better. 😆

The answer is no, no they weren’t. Kentucky 2015 would’ve thumped this Gonzaga team. They couldn’t even come close to matching Baylor’s speed and athleticism. What makes people think they could’ve matched 2015 Kentucky?! What a joke.

I don’t see the logic. You could apply that standard to most champs and get the same answer. “No way does <insert winner> beat 2015 Ientucky!”

That’s likely true but it has no meaning really.

As a Kansas fan, I consider Zags every bit a top 10 program over the last 10-15 years and probably a top 5 now. The analytics don’t lie and they don’t have bias.

They’re going to be stacked next year.

Also, why do people put so much stock into one game? Did 2015 Wisconsin really **prove** they were better than Kentucky? That’s beyond dumb. They were on one night, but so what?

Put it this way: Baylor beat us, then lost to us this year. Diff games on diff nites. IF we could beat Baylor Zags sures hell can
NC State got more titles than Gonzaga and likely will for a Very long time lol

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT