ADVERTISEMENT

Your Bourbon Collection? RANT!!!!

I try to find decent bourbons in the $30 range, right now:

Elijah Craig Small Batch (12 yr off the bottle is a disappointment)
Russell's Reserve Small Batch 10 yr
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Jim Beam Signature Craft 12 yr (I think they quit making this but I like it a lot)
Rittenhouse Rye
Eagle Rare 10 yr
Elmer T Lee (was $27 when I first started buying it, last time $47. Now I can't find it)

A couple other bottles
Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch
Angel's Envy
Boundary Oak - Patton Armored Diesel (haven't opened this, have it just because it is near my home. I can't imagine that it is any good.)

If anyone has any suggestions in that $30 range...

Several solid 30-$40 bottles that are usually on the shelf and easily found in east tn.

Old grandad 114
Henry McKenna 10 yr
Evan Williams single barrel

One of my friends is a bourbon snob. Has 100 bourbons in his bar with a laminated list of them. Loves Four Roses. I filled an empty bottle of FR with some old Yellowstone 90. All night he drank it and lectured us about his good bourbons. The Yellowstone doesn't even have the same color much less tast the same.
I have a bottle of 12 PVW full of Very Old Barton 100 proof that never gets questioned. This is from guys that have had it before. I have several Stagg’s and Stagg Jr’s and 2 PVW 12’s along with a host of Willets, Four roses small batch, single barrel and some other stuff. It’s a good collection but my good stuff is not getting restocked because I refuse to wait all night or pay exorbitant prices for it. I will just keep buying Johnny Drums and Makers with the occasional splurge for some Woodford. Woodford is as good as any of it IMO.

Kind of view it like the cigar boom. A little luck, like Fuente Warehouse fire, causes shortage and demand rises. Then, every Jimmy thinks they can make a bourbon, or cigar, and sell it. To think people are investing in equipment to make bourbon that won't come to market in years makes me shake my head.
The Asian demand though, makes me think it may last a little longer than the cigar boom.
Still better than "wine guy".

I have a bottle of 12 PVW full of Very Old Barton 100 proof that never gets questioned. This is from guys that have had it before. I have several Stagg’s and Stagg Jr’s and 2 PVW 12’s along with a host of Willets, Four roses small batch, single barrel and some other stuff. It’s a good collection but my good stuff is not getting restocked because I refuse to wait all night or pay exorbitant prices for it. I will just keep buying Johnny Drums and Makers with the occasional splurge for some Woodford. Woodford is as good as any of it IMO.

Personally, Woodford is probably the only major producer I don't care for. There's a weird "metallic" after taste that is really off-putting for me. Don't get me wrong, I drink it at the track and when it's the only legit option, but I'd rank it far behind the other major labels, including it's own sister-label, Old Forester.

But anyone who thinks you have to go ultra-rare or expensive to get great bourbon is ignorant. Standard Buffalo Trace is excellent bourbon. Heaven Hill produces about 10 fantastic bourbons for under $35, including one that is 10 years old and bottled-in-bond (Henry McKenna). Their 6 year old Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond is around $11. It's as good as a lot of $60+ bourbons. I have 200+ bottles of whiskey at home, thanks to my website, and I drink as much Old Fitzgerald Bonded and Heaven Hill 6yr Bonded as anything at home. Those are both under $15.

The one caveat is that if you like barrel proof bourbons, they can be hard to find or a lot pricier. You can find a lot of Four Roses private picks that are all barrel proof, but they'll run $65. Booker's is readily available, too, for that same range. Maker's cask strength is about the same if you prefer wheated bourbon. For me, the most underrated high proofer out there, and probably (dollar-for-dollar) the best thing Jim Beam makes is the Knob Creek Single Barrel (especially if you get a solid private pick). $40-45, non-chill filtered, 120 proof, and great tasting.

Last edited:
Reactions: KINGBEAST
For the experts on this topic, I appreciate all the input. I'm relatively new to the bourbon market. Was always just a beer drinker. i find all of these discussions very interesting. there is so much out there it gets confusing.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
ADVERTISEMENT