ADVERTISEMENT

Your best five-man team in your lifetime

FurdTerguson

Freshman
Jan 9, 2009
Don't pick the best player at each position or just the best five players period. Put a team together that you think would be the toughest to beat.

I'll go with...

PG Kyle Macy. Kyle could score, hit the big shot, hit clutch free throws, and with defense at other positions I'm not worried about his.
SG Doron Lamb. The forgotten assassin. Clutch. Consistent.
SF Derek Anderson. He gives you offense, defense, whatever you need.
PF Jamal Mashburn. Creates mismatch problems for almost all opponents. Don't have to ask him to play great D (creating foul problems) because of...
C Anthony Davis. I'd be surprised if anyone went with anyone else at this position. He gives you defense, athleticism, scoring when needed, and he's clutch.

Born in ‘90 but I’m gonna just do from like 01 when I started watching the Cats

Wall
Joe Crawford
Prince
Hayes
AD

Joe is my favorite all time cat and I how could you not want Chuck Hayes on the court?

I'm going by players I can recall. My UK consciousness starts at about the 95 season.

Ulis
Delk
Anderson
Willis
Davis

Ulis, Delk, and Anderson are all stingy, can handle, and stretch the floor. Davis is an obvious member. Any list without him is probably wrong. Willis is a controversial inclusion, but he had 67 TS% in the one season playing with Ulis. Playing alongside a skilled backcourt with defensive chops and a monster in the paint, Willis' ability to stretch the floor from the 4 seems like a perfect fit.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I'm going by players I can recall. My UK consciousness starts at about the 95 season.

Ulis
Delk
Anderson
Willis
Davis

Ulis, Delk, and Anderson are all stingy, can handle, and stretch the floor. Davis is an obvious member. Any list without him is probably wrong. Willis is a controversial inclusion, but he had 67 TS% in the one season playing with Ulis. Playing alongside a skilled backcourt with defensive chops and a monster in the paint, Willis' ability to stretch the floor from the 4 seems like a perfect fit.

You ever heard of Jamal Mashburn? Just messing man, but trust me...my UK memories start about 1988...Mash was unreal.

1988- present for me:

Point Forward-Mashburn
G-Delk
G-Anderson
F-Mercer
C-Davis

We don't need a true PG...let's run.

I’m going with players I’ve watched growing up with a mix of my favorite players.

Wall
Sparks
Prince
Mashburn
Davis

1978 on, for me. That’s my first season as a fan.

PG Kyle Macy
SG Tony Delk
SF Ron Mercer
SF Jamal Mashburn
F/C Anthony Davis

I’d love to have Wall’s speed & athleticism with these other guys but Macy was my first favorite Cat & I’d be a hypocrite if I started a PG who can’t shoot. Mashburn is an ideal small ball 4. And, AD & Mash would get all the 1 on 1 situations they could handle with those other 3 on the perimeter.

Didn’t watch Cats until middle school, so not including the 70’s.

Ulis
Murray
Anderson
Mashburn
Davis , but considered Bowie

You ever heard of Jamal Mashburn? Just messing man, but trust me...my UK memories start about 1988...Mash was unreal.
Absolutely! He was the epitome of a super efficient hybrid forward. We haven’t had one like him since. IMO, T Jones probably is the closest comparison as far as skill set. Still, he was nowhere near in Mash’s league.

Didn’t watch Cats until middle school, so not including the 70’s.

Ulis
Murray
Anderson
Mashburn
Davis , but considered Bowie

So tough. Already considering changing to:
Ulis
Murray
Mashburn (I know he played PF for us)
K.Walker
Davis

Obviously no wrong answer. really had to think. Each position is based on total game, both ends of the floor and generally what each position is most needed contribution. Example, the PG is to run the offense, set up teammates, and score if needed, but not the #1 job as the lineup will have scorers. Will not just pick best offensive player for each position, only 1 basketball. College performance is only part of their career considered.

PG - Wall Averaged 16.6 PPG 4.5 rebounds and 6.5 Assist. Not to mention lighting fast, causing nearly 2 steals galore of D. Fox would have also been fine pick.

PG2 - Dirk Minniefield - All time leader is assist at 646. The PG position personified. Thought hard about Rondo.

SG - Murray / Lamb very close. Creativity and handles was decider.
SG2 - Monk Sentimental pick Rex. Mercer, Meeks also worthy. Early kid UK fan favorite - Kevin Grevey

Combo Guard - Delk. Others worthy - D. Anderson, SGA, Bledsoe and Macy.

SF - Mash - Do it all, play all 5 potions, handles like a guard, super strong.
SF2 - Sky Walker. Several others worthy. Prince, A. Walker, Goose, and MKG.

PF - Julius Randle
PF2 - Bam. Just missed - Patrick Patterson.

C - AD
C2 - Boogie Sentimental - Bowie Worthy Noel

All underrated / glue guy team :

Azubuike
Deandre Liggins
Joe Crawford
Marquis Teague
Sean Woods
AA Harrison
An harrison
Winston Bennett
Anthony Epps
T. Jones
Wayne Turner
Keith Bogans
Chuck Hayes
Darius Miller
Little General (Travis Ford)
NAZR
Ed Davender
Archie Goodwin
Derrick Hord
James Blackmon
Ramel Bradley

Travis Ford
Tony Delk
Derek Anderson
Mashburn
Boogie

Highly unorthodox pg pick I know. But Ford was not only a sharpshooter, he could pass a basketball through seven feet of concrete in a way that I’ve never seen consistently since. And the people he’d be dishing to here. Plus he brings a BB IQ that accounts for pace, momentum, opposing defenses, and other factors on a level basketball started to lose in the late 90s.

Delk’s defense offsets the defense I’m losing by going Boogie over AD….somewhat. But with the firepower on this squad you don’t need great defense. You just need defense.

It hurts me a bit not to play my man John Wall. But this right here is the squad you need to kill everyone in basketball. At least, in a hypothetical world where Boogie can run 40 minutes.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Travis Ford
Tony Delk
Derek Anderson
Mashburn
Boogie

Highly unorthodox pg pick I know. But Ford was not only a sharpshooter, he could pass a basketball through seven feet of concrete in a way that I’ve never seen consistently since. And the people he’d be dishing to here. Plus he brings a BB IQ that accounts for pace, momentum, opposing defenses, and other factors on a level basketball started to lose in the late 90s.

Delk’s defense offsets the defense I’m losing by going Boogie over AD….somewhat. But with the firepower on this squad you don’t need great defense. You just need defense.

It hurts me a bit not to play my man John Wall. But this right here is the squad you need to kill everyone in basketball. At least, in a hypothetical world where Boogie can run 40 minutes.

Cotton Nash SF
Jamaal Mashburn PF
Dan Issell C
Tony Delk SG
Louie Dampier PG

6TH man Keven Grevey

Travis Ford
Tony Delk
Derek Anderson
Mashburn
Boogie

Ford was ****ing tough as nails!

Reactions: BlueSince92
ADVERTISEMENT