ADVERTISEMENT

Yeah, So Maybe Brock Isn’t a 5 Star Talent

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
As some have said, they just don’t see it.

And maybe he isn’t that level of physical talent.

He’s just a smidgeon slow on reads and gets sacked too much, but he always bounces back up pretty damn quick.

But you have to give him this: at a minimum, he’s one big, nasty, redneck kid that is willing to gut it out, lower his head and get behind his pads and get tough yards.

And his fourth quarter, fourth down pass was a Five-Star kind of play.

You just have to like the guy.

He’s getting better every week. That’s the most important thing. He just needs game experience. We have three winnable games ahead of us before heading to Knoxville. We SHOULD be 6-2 going into that game. Hopefully we don’t throw another clunker like we did against USC.

My only complaint is his inability to throw it away. He's taken some brutal hits from holding it too long. OC has got to give him a blocking back he can throw the ball at their feet if he gets pressured on slower developing plays and can't get out the pocket. But his accuracy when he's had time and finds his receiver has been pretty exceptional.

I think the book on him was he had all the tools, he just hasn’t played QB in the SEC.

That’s what we’re seeing. Early on we were frustrated, but you cannot expect a guy to jump right in and figure it out all at once. He’s improving, and I think he’s turning into a solid QB. Which is awesome. I think things are on schedule for him and our team.

Does he have another year of eligibility?

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
He is improving. I still don't see "it" but we can win a lot of games with him as QB given our defense, running backs, and WR core.

I was never down on him. The Oline play was atrocious early on. Think how much better he would have looked against SC with a decent Oline. The good news is that BVG and the Oline are improving.

Seems like the processing speed is improving. Instead of “first read, pressure, run like hell” he’s either stepping up or using good footwork to reset and then looking back downfield again.

And he’s only started five games. I’m liking the improvement.
He looks awfully comfortable rolling out to his right.
And on the TD to Key, he felt the pressure and made a nice move to his left and there’s a beautiful ball.

Just hope he doesn’t start totally locking in on Key…unless of course he is always open!

As some have said, they just don’t see it.

And maybe he isn’t that level of physical talent.

He’s just a smidgeon slow on reads and gets sacked too much, but he always bounces back up pretty damn quick.

But you have to give him this: at a minimum, he’s one big, nasty, redneck kid that is willing to gut it out, lower his head and get behind his pads and get tough yards.

And his fourth quarter, fourth down pass was a Five-Star kind of play.

You just have to like the guy.

He's everything you want in a qb. Really good arm, nearly elite athlete, tough, focused.

Hes just inexperienced. That causes him to make some bad decisions with pocket movement and indecision on letting the ball go. Both those things cause drive killing sacks.

If he keeps improving, we really have something. Our offense really moved the ball well vs some elite defense this year. We have a hard time finishing drives because our margin for error is so slim and these inexperienced decisions kill a drive.

He'll be a top SEC QB if he comes back for a 2nd year. I think he's better than Carson Beck. Beck is a game manager who can't move in the pocket. What Kirby wants in his QB's.

Reactions: BurgLife
Vandagriff had almost identical stats to Heisman wonder boy Dart:

Vandagriff: 18/28 243 Yd. 1 TD - 0 Int
Dart: 18/27 261 Yd. 1 TD -0 Int
I thought he honestly outplayed Dart.

A couple of Dart's long passes (especially the last one) were more about our inept secondary than anything special he did.

Brock actually hit some narrow targets a few times. He looked a lot sharper to me. Just be more aware of the pocket breakdowns and we've really got something.

1. Brock is a step slow at times reading the D and having that internal clock to throw it away vs. taking hits/sacks. He could help the Oline out by quicker reads
2. Brock, to me, has not shown he's good a read option. Doesn't pull it or give on the read part at times.
3. Brock is a solid runner....not amazing...but solid. I think he's Will Levis-ish with his feet. I still don't get why we pull Brock to run Wimsatt....feels like a waste of snaps. Just let Brock run the game and taking him off the field only to come back with 2nd and 8. Feels more like were trying to keep Wimsatt content vs. just make the offense best it can be.
4. But these type of throws below.....Brock has been dang good in multiple games. Brock can really attack vertically....his accuracy on 20 yard in routes is above average. Hits guys in stride for YAC. Levis wasn't this accurate on intermediate stuff.....Leary was awful on accuracy on these throws IMO. Jaxson Dart is not near as good on pushing the ball down field....he has to put alot of air on his deep throws.

If Brock improves on #1.....UK has as good a QB as you'll get in SEC. He's come a long way in 4 games.

^#3: why the QB rotation, especially if GW is only going to run the one play the same way every single time? As you stated, put us behind the chains nearly every time once OM stopped thinking it was going to be anything other than a QB keeper. Don't understand the logic of that at all.

Agree that the intermediate passes he's thrown look great. Accurate, leads the receiver - need more of those to more receivers, imo.

Would love to see a RB screen with OL out in front vs bubble/tunnel screens to WR.

BV has improved. If he continues to do so, he'll be pretty darn good this year overall.

Reactions: K_TIME
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT