ADVERTISEMENT

Yeah, So Maybe Brock Isn’t a 5 Star Talent

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
As some have said, they just don’t see it.

And maybe he isn’t that level of physical talent.

He’s just a smidgeon slow on reads and gets sacked too much, but he always bounces back up pretty damn quick.

But you have to give him this: at a minimum, he’s one big, nasty, redneck kid that is willing to gut it out, lower his head and get behind his pads and get tough yards.

And his fourth quarter, fourth down pass was a Five-Star kind of play.

You just have to like the guy.

He’s getting better every week. That’s the most important thing. He just needs game experience. We have three winnable games ahead of us before heading to Knoxville. We SHOULD be 6-2 going into that game. Hopefully we don’t throw another clunker like we did against USC.

Seems like the processing speed is improving. Instead of “first read, pressure, run like hell” he’s either stepping up or using good footwork to reset and then looking back downfield again.

And he’s only started five games. I’m liking the improvement.

My only complaint is his inability to throw it away. He's taken some brutal hits from holding it too long. OC has got to give him a blocking back he can throw the ball at their feet if he gets pressured on slower developing plays and can't get out the pocket. But his accuracy when he's had time and finds his receiver has been pretty exceptional.

I think the book on him was he had all the tools, he just hasn’t played QB in the SEC.

That’s what we’re seeing. Early on we were frustrated, but you cannot expect a guy to jump right in and figure it out all at once. He’s improving, and I think he’s turning into a solid QB. Which is awesome. I think things are on schedule for him and our team.

Does he have another year of eligibility?

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
He is improving. I still don't see "it" but we can win a lot of games with him as QB given our defense, running backs, and WR core.

I was never down on him. The Oline play was atrocious early on. Think how much better he would have looked against SC with a decent Oline. The good news is that BVG and the Oline are improving.

Seems like the processing speed is improving. Instead of “first read, pressure, run like hell” he’s either stepping up or using good footwork to reset and then looking back downfield again.

And he’s only started five games. I’m liking the improvement.
He looks awfully comfortable rolling out to his right.
And on the TD to Key, he felt the pressure and made a nice move to his left and there’s a beautiful ball.

Just hope he doesn’t start totally locking in on Key…unless of course he is always open!

Vandagriff had almost identical stats to Heisman wonder boy Dart:

Vandagriff: 18/28 243 Yd. 1 TD - 0 Int
Dart: 18/27 261 Yd. 1 TD -0 Int

I’ll give him this, he has the smarts to know what a weapon he has in Dane Key. He trusts Dane to make plays. Cant catch em all, but they are a great combo.

Reactions: JC-3
As some have said, they just don’t see it.

And maybe he isn’t that level of physical talent.

He’s just a smidgeon slow on reads and gets sacked too much, but he always bounces back up pretty damn quick.

But you have to give him this: at a minimum, he’s one big, nasty, redneck kid that is willing to gut it out, lower his head and get behind his pads and get tough yards.

And his fourth quarter, fourth down pass was a Five-Star kind of play.

You just have to like the guy.

He's everything you want in a qb. Really good arm, nearly elite athlete, tough, focused.

Hes just inexperienced. That causes him to make some bad decisions with pocket movement and indecision on letting the ball go. Both those things cause drive killing sacks.

If he keeps improving, we really have something. Our offense really moved the ball well vs some elite defense this year. We have a hard time finishing drives because our margin for error is so slim and these inexperienced decisions kill a drive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT