ADVERTISEMENT

Yante Maten Returning to Georgia

Talent on the floor has never really been the problem, IMO, it's been coaching. The ACC has 4 coaches who have won 11 titles. The SEC has 1 with 1.

All that expertise from the ACC didn't show much in the tournament this past year compared to the SEC, with their lesser coaching background.

Talent on the floor has never really been the problem, IMO, it's been coaching. The ACC has 4 coaches who have won 11 titles. The SEC has 1 with 1.

I think there's another side of that.

The ACC had an expansion that added some basketball programs. They don't get credit for some of those titles. Syracuse won theirs in the BE, Pitino was both of his in other conferences (1 of them Sec).

That leaves 8 titles and they belong to two programs that were won on the back of ACC teams. And one of those teams was cheating and the other has had the same coach since rocks.

If we're talking conferences here then the context should center around which conferences they won the title in, imo.

The SEC has some really great coaches right now. The talent level actually has been an issue of late imo. Auburn wasn't recruiting top 25 classes and neither were some others. The talent level and coaching level are both rising quickly.

You're right though, it's a lot of old guard coaches in the ACC right now. In 5 years they'll all be gone and the ACC gets to start over, including UNC, the right way for once.

Last edited:
He waited this long to return? Must hate Georgia and only went back because he had to.

Eh

I think it's obvious that Briscoe wanted out. Not hate UK, wanted out.

I think Diallo will leave if he can. So not hate UK, but prefers to leave, yea.

Both only returned and will only return if have to. Yes.

Lots of guys return with money on the line. So there's a choice here.

We've seen our fair share leave given that choice. Some without guarantees or draft picks.

Safe to say this situation and our typical situation aren't similar.

There's just nothing to see here to stir the pot this bad imo. But I'm not the director so, as you were.

I
M
O

My point wasn't about the titles coming in or out of the ACC, it was about the coaches. If the SEC hired a handful of coaches who won titles at other schools, the conference would almost for sure start getting better because the coaching would be better. It's starting to get some good coaches to go along with the talent, so I'm optimistic.

BTW, this just got me thinking about how many active coaches have won a title. Let me see if I can remember them all.

Tubby Smith
Cal
Pitino
K
Williams
Boeheim
Ollie
Self
Izzo
Wright

That's it, right? Only 10 active coaches out of almost 350 Div 1 coaches, and 7 of them have 1 title.

Last edited:
Eh

I think it's obvious that Briscoe wanted out. Not hate UK, wanted out.

I think Diallo will leave if he can. So not hate UK, but prefers to leave, yea.

Both only returned and will only return if have to. Yes.

Lots of guys return with money on the line. So there's a choice here.

We've seen our fair share leave given that choice. Some without guarantees or draft picks.

Safe to say this situation and our typical situation aren't similar.

There's just nothing to see here to stir the pot this bad imo. But I'm not the director so, as you were.

I
M
O

If you think there are kids who put their name in the draft that would prefer to stay in school, you've lost your mind. The ones who withdraw quickly (no Pitino) are ones who don't like the feedback they get.

To act like a guy who goes through the whole process had to be dragged back kicking and screaming is just the latest version of the Diallo situation that hurts their feelings. But at least he'll be a true Wildcat if he returns. I've been pacing the floors at night.

My point wasn't about the titles coming in or out of the ACC, it was about the coaches. If the SEC hired a handful of coaches who won titles at other schools, the conference would almost for sure start getting better because the coaching would be better. It's starting to get some good coaches to go along with the talent, so I'm optimistic.

BTW, this just got me thinking about how many active coaches have won a title. Let me see if I can remember them all.

Tubby Smith
Cal
Pitino
K
Williams
Boeheim
Ollie
Self
Izzo
Wright

That's it, right? Only 10 active coaches out of almost 350 Div 1 coaches, and 7 of them have 1 title.

I know what you meant. I just wanted to add that in.

You forgot Crean, NCAA s16 Champs '12. Gonna miss him.

Pretty crazy that's all the champion coaches right now.

Maten is a good player. Reminds of Chuck Hayes. I wish we had Maten honestly. He'd be my starter anyday.

Tubby Smith
Cal
Pitino
K
Williams
Boeheim
Ollie
Self
Izzo
Wright

Tubby got his with Pitino's guys. Ollie basically had Calhoun coaching for him form the stands.

K, Roy, Pitino, and Boeheim are old as dirt, will be retiring soon.

Cal, Self, Izzo, and Wright are still in their primes. In about three to five years, those four will dominate college bball. I think Cal is the best of the bunch, but I think Self and Izzo probably get one more title a piece. Not sure about Wright.

That alone will keep Georgia tough, Hugh Durham had loads of talent and won a lot of games but it's just hard to keep it going at a football school. They have been pretty good over the years in basketball too.

Tubby Smith
Cal
Pitino
K
Williams
Boeheim
Ollie
Self
Izzo
Wright

Didn't Ben Howland get one @ UCLA?

He didn't have a choice he reinjured knee against UK is SEC Tourney per AJC sat out NIT game

Not a good look for Mark Fox risking him like that

Maten was projected 2nd round, and when you hear weak draft next year, perhaps like Deng, they can sneak in the 1st round with a big year.
Makes Ga more competititve, but in 7 years, Fox has 2 NCAA appearances and 0 wins. I think Ga knows what they have in basketball after 7 years.

The BBN would not accept anything near that result.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT