ADVERTISEMENT

Yahtzee

https://247sports.com/Article/Kentucky-football-Joko-Willis-147644043/

Kentucky has landed a commitment from Independence (Kan.) C.C. linebacker Joko Willis (6-3, 215). He chose the Wildcats over offers from Kansas State, Mississippi State and Arkansas.

Willis had been recruited by inside linebackers coach Jon Sumrall. UK was one of several programs to offer the linebacker out of Troup County High School in Lagrange, Georgia. He was rated a .8527 by the 247Sports Composite and is considered the nation's No. 47 inside linebacker.

Oats will not be playing this fall and this kid won't be at UK till January at the earliest. That said, very good and needed pickup.

Any updates on OATS' issue that you can share?

I'm really surprised that no whispers have made it to our board, yet, but I appreciate the family's request...

Go CATS!

Any updates on OATS' issue that you can share?

I'm really surprised that no whispers have made it to our board, yet, but I appreciate the family's request...

Go CATS!

I know as much as the avg fan out there, which is nothing. Only thing that I do know is that he apparently won't be playing this year. I do not know if his situation is a career ending type deal or not, but whatever it is, it has obviously been deemed a very serious situation.

I know as much as the avg fan out there, which is nothing. Only thing that I do know is that he apparently won't be playing this year. I do not know if his situation is a career ending type deal or not, but whatever it is, it has obviously been deemed a very serious situation.

thanks...

Go CATS!

Anybody seen him play? At his position care about two things. Does he have the quickness to cover and how hard and how sure of a tackler is he?

It has to be infection. If it was cancer, he’d be doing outpatient. If it were injury, there would be mention of surgery, as there always is.

So are you saying I should just leave it at that? Wondering what kind of player he is, is just not right? Just wondering what you mean.
Since football recruiting is a specific interest of mine, I will offer my take on this.

Wondering what kind of players our recruits are is the basis for all these recruiting threads. For the most part, these are great discussions for our fans. (Until, that is, someone hijacks the thread to reiterate their dated, redundant complaints about our school, or to personally attack fellow fans. Thankfully, that kind of distraction seems to be declining a little bit.)

When we discuss hs and juco football players, there are a variety of ways to assess skills and upside. When possible, we can go watch the player play football, but that is limited to players who live and play in our area. And even in these cases, we must understand that the competition the players face in hs is not close to the competition they would face in the SEC.

We can watch their highlight videos on the internet. But when we do that, we must realize that their highlight videos are selectively produced. They have been put together by their hs to show their best plays of the season so as to stimulate interest in the player. They do not show the player's weaknesses, and they do not necessarily show how the player will perform at the college level against bigger, faster opponents.

We can read player rankings on internet sites. But when we do, we must realize that these rankings are made by unanimous employees of the website who may or may not actually have seen the player play football, probably haven't talked with the player or his hs coach, definitely haven't seen his transcript, and definitely have not seen all the other hs and juco players in the country who play the same position. Regardless of whether or not a given fan is a believer in these player rankings (and there are plenty of people on both sides of this debate), we must realize that player rankings are not an exact science. In fact, UK fans have watched lowly rated and lightly recruited Josh Allen, Benny Snell, and Bunchy Stallings become All Americans in Mark Stoops' program. While that may not be a universal indictment of player rankings, it certainly gives our fans reason for a more flexible point of view.

Then, we can consider Mr. Schwump's point. Our coaches have talked with all these players, their families, and their hs coaches before offering UK scholarships. Multiple times, our coaches have watched all of our recruits play football in person and broken down their film. They know each player's hs academic status. Based on their professional experience, they know how a hs player's skills will fit on our roster and play at the SEC level. And our coaches have a track record.

Because coaches' careers depend on successful recruiting, I don't believe there is a better metric for talent than a player's offer sheet. But that isn't perfect either. If a player firmly commits early in the recruiting season, that alone can limit his offer sheet. Players can get distracted during their senior year of hs and screw up their academics. Players can get injured, or take drugs, or read their own press clippings, or just get lazy. So no method of evaluation can give fans all the information they want in every instance.

So when Mr. Schwump suggests trusting our coaches' evaluation skills, he has a point.

Still, discussing each player is entertaining as long as the discussion remains clean and unaffected by those who wish to attack our fans and our school. Discussing recruiting is one of the two reasons I visit this board.

Last edited:
Trust your coaches who have likely seen much more film on this player than a fan ever will. Otherwise, Google the guy and watch the film yourself. Easy peasy.
You seem to imply I am leary of this recruit. Coaches get the best they can get. Did not even have a thought about bashing player or coach. Just looking for insight on what type of player we can expect.

Just looking for insight on what type of player we can expect.

Reading the “tea leaves” of recruiting, he sounds very promising. Along with offers from Mississippi State and Arkansas, as a JUCO, he had a TAMU offer in high school. For a Georgia HS player to receive interest from A & M, he has to be pretty good.

You seem to imply I am leary of this recruit. Coaches get the best they can get. Did not even have a thought about bashing player or coach. Just looking for insight on what type of player we can expect.
Not at all, I'm just saying he has film out there. Just takes a minute to find it then you can see for yourself. To me he looks like an SEC athlete, nice closing speed.

Not at all, I'm just saying he has film out there. Just takes a minute to find it then you can see for yourself. To me he looks like an SEC athlete, nice closing speed.
Any player can look good/great on a "hightlight" video...offer sheet is always best barometer l think. He has a good one, but then there are the Josh Allen's of the world.

Last edited:
3930e797880981de61cf76c484377c79.jpg

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Since football recruiting is a specific interest of mine, I will offer my take on this.

Wondering what kind of players our recruits are is the basis for all these recruiting threads. For the most part, these are great discussions for our fans. (Until, that is, someone hijacks the thread to reiterate their dated, redundant complaints about our school, or to personally attack fellow fans. Thankfully, that kind of distraction seems to be declining a little bit.)

When we discuss hs and juco football players, there are a variety of ways to assess skills and upside. When possible, we can go watch the player play football, but that is limited to players who live and play in our area. And even in these cases, we must understand that the competition the players face in hs is not close to the competition they would face in the SEC.

We can watch their highlight videos on the internet. But when we do that, we must realize that their highlight videos are selectively produced. They have been put together by their hs to show their best plays of the season so as to stimulate interest in the player. They do not show the player's weaknesses, and they do not necessarily show how the player will perform at the college level against bigger, faster opponents.

We can read player rankings on internet sites. But when we do, we must realize that these rankings are made by unanimous employees of the website who may or may not actually have seen the player play football, probably haven't talked with the player or his hs coach, definitely haven't seen his transcript, and definitely have not seen all the other hs and juco players in the country who play the same position. Regardless of whether or not a given fan is a believer in these player rankings (and there are plenty of people on both sides of this debate), we must realize that player rankings are not an exact science. In fact, UK fans have watched lowly rated and lightly recruited Josh Allen, Benny Snell, and Bunchy Stallings become All Americans in Mark Stoops' program. While that may not be a universal indictment of player rankings, it certainly gives our fans reason for a more flexible point of view.

Then, we can consider Mr. Schwump's point. Our coaches have talked with all these players, their families, and their hs coaches before offering UK scholarships. Multiple times, our coaches have watched all of our recruits play football in person and broken down their film. They know each player's hs academic status. Based on their professional experience, they know how a hs player's skills will fit on our roster and play at the SEC level. And our coaches have a track record.

Because coaches' careers depend on successful recruiting, I don't believe there is a better metric for talent than a player's offer sheet. But that isn't perfect either. If a player firmly commits early in the recruiting season, that alone can limit his offer sheet. Players can get distracted during their senior year of hs and screw up their academics. Players can get injured, or take drugs, or read their own press clippings, or just get lazy. So no method of evaluation can give fans all the information they want in every instance.

So when Mr. Schwump suggests trusting our coaches' evaluation skills, he has a point.

Still, discussing each player is entertaining as long as the discussion remains clean and unaffected by those who wish to attack our fans and our school. Discussing recruiting is one of the two reasons I visit this board.
Very good points throughout your post. Family, academics, high school coaches, recruits demeanor/personality, desire/attitude are many factors our coaches must be aware. It's a full time yearly job that requires constant evaluation, our staff does an amazing job. The on field performance and academics since Coach arrived has been outstanding, it's and indication of a man with a plan and working that plan. Families trust our staff and allow their children to become men under their guidance. A very under rated part of recruiting is winning over Mom and Dad, if they don't trust the coaches their not coming. Coach Stoops and staff gave created a family atmosphere that beyond reproach, therefore the continued success in recruiting. IMHO it's going to continue because of the foundation that been built.

Bottom line...if a kid has a commitable offer, probably means the Coaching staff believes he can help the team.

Everybody seems to look good on tape to me. Closing speed type stuff is what I am looking for. What his strengths are. If he is fast as an ILB that is what we are looking for. Get speed at every position and their backup. Next is how well he hits. Some players rougher than others. And finally football instincts. Some have and some not as much.

Appreciate the closing speed comment. That would be a big thing to start with.

Very well said. Is nice to have a staff you can place your unwavering confidence in and trust that they are bringing in the right pieces. I’ve seen no reason to start doubting them now...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT