ADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo Sports call for Louisville to receive death penalty......

Wetzel is right on this one. The ink was barely dry on the probationary documents before a Louisville coach was paying a recruit's father his rent money. If ever there were an instance when the "repeat offender" clause should be enacted, it's this. The rest will come out, too.

Dan probably should go back and read up on the details of SMU then. The death penalty is so severe that it shouldn’t be used in situations where it would be merely punitive.

It should only be used when it is needed to perform a curative function, in addition to being punitive. This means it should be resevered for situations where a school has demonstrated an unwillingness to change in the absence of such a severe punishment.

For SMU, they continued rampant cheating while on probation and members of the institution all the way to the board of governors were involved. You’ll never clean that type of situation up without a death penalty level intervention.

In UL’s case, they’ve cleaned house already, all the way up to the University President. This included firings that were deeply unpopular among the fan base and which have cost the school significant amounts of money (had to pay to get rid of Jurich and Pitino is still costing them money).

Regardless of how obnoxious some of their fans are, if I’m on the committee, I’m voting for punishments other than the death penalty. It would be overkill at this point.

lol, what?? That’s exactly what U6 did (continued to cheat after being busted on the hooker scandal) and didn’t change until after they were caught again

This post makes zero sense, lol

From the link:

“He does know something,” Code is heard saying on wiretap when discussing Pitino with Dawkins. “He doesn’t know everything … plausible deniability.”

What happens if the second in command of the basketball team personally handed over cash to the father of an incoming freshman, all while he is staying at a hotel/apartment complex that would raise red flags as the housing choice for nearly anyone, let alone a former police officer living off disability?

The NCAA’s stated criteria for implementing the “repeat violator” legislation and enacting the so-called death penalty is straightforward:

“Following the announcement of a major case, a major violation occurs … within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case,” NCAA documents read. “The second major case does not have to be in the same sport as the previous case to affect the second sport.”

In this case it isn’t just the same sport, men’s basketball, it’s the same coaching staff, Rick Pitino’s. And forget five years, Louisville didn’t make it five months.

The first, with the strippers and the prostitutes, occurred because of the direct actions of director of basketball operations Andre McGee, who was gone by the time the sanctions hit. This one, if true, would be the associate head coach.

Perhaps even worse for Louisville, this trial isn’t even half over. The prosecution has already stated, without details, that another assistant coach, Jordan Fair, paid $900 to a separate student athlete at an undisclosed time. It is also possible that a secret recording of a meeting in Las Vegas may be introduced featuring Fair. That’s three separate members of Pitino’s staff that would be implicated."

[smoke]
They done.

lol, what?? That’s exactly what U6 did (continued to cheat after being busted on the hooker scandal) and didn’t change until after they were caught again

This post makes zero sense, lol

Might want to re-read it because you completely missed the point. What you stated has nothing to do with my argument.

IF they don't receive the death penalty, Just think if a TV ban is part of the sanctions. It would be hard for them to schedule out of conference games. Face it, basically all D1 games are televised somewhere. Who would agree to play UofL knowing that the game would not be televised and they'd miss out on the revenue stream.

Think about it in the UK circumstance. Our game with them is always a nationally televised game. Why schedule them if we lose the exposure PLUS the dollars.

I keep seeing a fallacy being propagated. It is an easy one to fall into, I was doing it myself for a while. Everyone keeps stating that U6 had their title stripped, then started paying for players. No. They were then CAUGHT paying for players. Does anyone think they were not paying the entire time? Bowen is the easy example because it was done so poorly. "Oh! Here's this great recruit. It was a miracle! He just fell into our laps. We didn't even recruit him!" . Someone talking like this is wanting to get caught. Pitino will go to his grave denying it, but leaving UK ate him away so much he went psycho, and his subconscious was revolting.

I don't want to see a death penalty because of the impact on the city - both in terms of being on the hook for the arena and the hit business downtown would take. The real world takes precedence over a sports beef. But they do deserve and will likely get some pretty serious additional punishment. I could see a 2-3 year postseason ban, serious scholarship and recruiting limits.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Something else that is interesting to me. So, not that many repeat violator cases in modern history, at least that I can find. One of the few times the NCAA has actually considered handing down that penalty - University of Louisville, 1998.

From a CBS News report dated August 10, 1998:

"The University of Louisville is appealing to the NCAA Infractions Committee not to impose the death penalty on the men's basketball program over recruiting violations.

At a nearly four-hour closed meeting on Sunday, enforcement investigators and university officials discussed, among other things, an assistant coach's telephone call in 1996 that may have broken the five-year probation imposed by the NCAA two years ago."

Tom Jurich was in his first year as AD when he and others went to plead their case. I know Committee membership has no doubt changed since then, but you know institutions have memories. And the Louisville AD looked them all in the eye and expressed due contrition, and made promises about this kind of thing never happening again on his watch. Same AD that was in charge when i) they ran hookers through the basketball dorm and ii) had coaches promising and paying big dollars to recruits. A small factor, but it might come into play.

I am not a fan of the "Everybody else is doing it" defense. I agree that the death penalty is not good. It is terrible for the entire local community which penalizes business folks who had absolutely nothing to do with the infractions. However, multiple post season bans, scholarship restrictions, roster limitations, etc should all be part of the equation.

Those same business folks profited even more so when said team cheats to have a better season and thus brought in even more revenue.

It's the same thing when a company shuts down a business downsizing. It happens everywhere.

IF they don't receive the death penalty, Just think if a TV ban is part of the sanctions. It would be hard for them to schedule out of conference games. Face it, basically all D1 games are televised somewhere. Who would agree to play UofL knowing that the game would not be televised and they'd miss out on the revenue stream.

Think about it in the UK circumstance. Our game with them is always a nationally televised game. Why schedule them if we lose the exposure PLUS the dollars.

Maybe they could just make the ul players invisible on tv.

Reactions: BlueBomb
From the link:

“He does know something,” Code is heard saying on wiretap when discussing Pitino with Dawkins. “He doesn’t know everything … plausible deniability.”

What happens if the second in command of the basketball team personally handed over cash to the father of an incoming freshman, all while he is staying at a hotel/apartment complex that would raise red flags as the housing choice for nearly anyone, let alone a former police officer living off disability?

The NCAA’s stated criteria for implementing the “repeat violator” legislation and enacting the so-called death penalty is straightforward:

“Following the announcement of a major case, a major violation occurs … within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case,” NCAA documents read. “The second major case does not have to be in the same sport as the previous case to affect the second sport.”

In this case it isn’t just the same sport, men’s basketball, it’s the same coaching staff, Rick Pitino’s. And forget five years, Louisville didn’t make it five months.

The first, with the strippers and the prostitutes, occurred because of the direct actions of director of basketball operations Andre McGee, who was gone by the time the sanctions hit. This one, if true, would be the associate head coach.

Perhaps even worse for Louisville, this trial isn’t even half over. The prosecution has already stated, without details, that another assistant coach, Jordan Fair, paid $900 to a separate student athlete at an undisclosed time. It is also possible that a secret recording of a meeting in Las Vegas may be introduced featuring Fair. That’s three separate members of Pitino’s staff that would be implicated."

[smoke]
They done.
All those rogue assistants, eh? Poor Pitino. He can't catch a break, surrounded by rogue assistants and unable to control any of them, and they were constantly disobeying the direct orders he gave them to never engage in anything dishonest or that could be considered a violation. But what do they do? They break the rules all on their own.

You know? If I didn't know any better, I'd say every single coach on that staff did exactly what they were instructed to do and every single one of them were likely told they'd be cut loose if they ever got caught while Rick would skate with "plausible deniability." Nah, it can't be! Rick's tell-all book makes it clear he is simply a victim of evil administrators and assistants, so it must be true.

By the way, if anyone believes a word of that drivel I just typed, I have some ocean-front property in Montana for sale for a great price and I'd love to make you a deal. :D

All I know is recruiting is very dirty. When I was coaching we had a division one power five school recruit Who had a offer from ul and many others who offered things. Vanderbilt seemed to be the worst. Nc state was bad also. They gave us coaches t shirts and gift cards. Hell kelly “king” rice from Vanderbilt was the worst. All he talked about was how he was the pg with Jordan. He talked shit on Arkansas

Last edited:
Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't care to see UL receive the death penalty. With all the other crap going on with UNC, Penn State, Baylor, Michigan State and others, paying some players is really no big deal.

I feel just the opposite, I could care less what UNC or those other schools do, I want to see them sink U6 in the deepest part of the Ohio River then shove that effin yum center on top of em..

Last edited:
Death penalty no, better punishment is a lengthy probation that sets them so far back their fans would be wishing for the death penalty instead.
I still can't get over the fact that UNCheat got NOTHING, NADA... not even an acknowledgement that they cheated.

Based on your posts in the paddock this is not in the least bit surprising to hear.

Sorry...don't see the point in the entire city of Louisville suffering for the misdeeds of a few clowns. Economically, a death penalty for UL would be terrible for the state of Kentucky.

Though I am sure the livelihoods of people are of no concern of yours since you clearly come off as a bitter person who probably doesn't have much in his life.
Not if an NBA team comes in

I still can't get over the fact that UNCheat got NOTHING, NADA... not even an acknowledgement that they cheated.

because It didn't involve ONLY STUDENT ATHLETES, it involved all.. NCAA does not govern what goes on with non athlete students so therefore since it involved any student there was NO athlete advantage gained per say...that was a loop hole, yeah they cheated but they ALL cheated. If U6 had been buying hookers for any student for instance they would have probably got off ( no pun ) too...

because It didn't involve ONLY STUDENT ATHLETES, it involved all.. NCAA does not govern what goes on with non athlete students so therefore since it involved any student there was NO athlete advantage gained per say...that was a loop hole, yeah they cheated but they ALL cheated. If U6 had been buying hookers for any student for instance they would have probably got off ( no pun ) too...

...Except that there was precedent set years earlier at the University of Georgia where a basketball class was taught to (open to all students)- automatic A's were handed out- and the program was placed on probabtion.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Look they already let the worst scandal in the history of the sport go unpunished, yes you cheating bastards at UNCHEAT I am taking to you !! If they let UofSmell get off with out the death penalty, and then don’t drop the hammer on Kansas the NCAA should really just go away !!

All those rogue assistants, eh? Poor Pitino. He can't catch a break, surrounded by rogue assistants and unable to control any of them, and they were constantly disobeying the direct orders he gave them to never engage in anything dishonest or that could be considered a violation. But what do they do? They break the rules all on their own.

You know? If I didn't know any better, I'd say every single coach on that staff did exactly what they were instructed to do and every single one of them were likely told they'd be cut loose if they ever got caught while Rick would skate with "plausible deniability." Nah, it can't be! Rick's tell-all book makes it clear he is simply a victim of evil administrators and assistants, so it must be true.

By the way, if anyone believes a word of that drivel I just typed, I have some ocean-front property in Montana for sale for a great price and I'd love to make you a deal. :D
Damn it!!! I was hoping everything west of Montana fell off and the ocean was there now...

Reactions: awf and IL Wildcat
I really have no idea what will actually come of this. But if UL doesn’t get a death penalty, then it may as well not exist. They got a title stripped (no pun intended) and put on probation for hiring hookers for underage kids and then immediately, IMMEDIATELY start paying straight cash for recruits. There is no shame whatsoever in their actions and if losing a title wasn’t enough, nothing but death penalty will be.

Very good points in this post. They did not care to start cheating as soon as they could and thought they were untouchable. They deserve the death penalty for at least 5 years. UK can replace them with some other team to play.
And for those who says it would hurt the community don't you think the community knew what was going on with the hookers . Something like that is hard to keep quite.

I understand the program not being penalized, not really because they knew, but if a student takes a bogus class the class doesn't count which voids their eligibility so every game they played in should be forfeited...that cannot be disputed, ignored but disputed.

I recall in U6's appeal their main argument was that hookers and prostitutes were available to ALL students.

I would have LOVED to see the looks on the NCAA Appeals Committee when they read that. [laughing]

What's going to be the argument this time? Just because yet ANOTHER "rogue assistant" paid Bowen money while they were just recently put on probation, then Kansas got away with paying TWO players while U6 only paid one? [laughing]

It's just comedy gold at this point. Lol.

Reactions: awf
I don't want to see a death penalty because of the impact on the city - both in terms of being on the hook for the arena and the hit business downtown would take. The real world takes precedence over a sports beef. But they do deserve and will likely get some pretty serious additional punishment. I could see a 2-3 year postseason ban, serious scholarship and recruiting limits.
But it would also force the city to stop pussy footing around when an nba franchise becomes available...theyve had opportunities before and pissed it away bc a community college was more important

Damn it!!! I was hoping everything west of Montana fell off and the ocean was there now...
I also was thinking maybe they had a huge earthquake and Montana was now the west coast..............

I am 100% in favor of the death penalty for UL. Judge them on what they did not what may or may not have happened to other schools. The coaching staff and administration were involved in this and on top of the other transgressions they were on probation for. If this doesn't deserve the death penalty nothing does.

We received the death penalty for players shaving points. Our coaching staff had nothing to do with that and we still got the maximum penalty. Since UL is currently on probation for their transgressions and crimes, take it to the next level and shut them down. Justice

DeCourcy is probably my favorite - in part because he's relentlessly optimistic. Or however he'd want to be described. Point is, we live in an age of hyperbolic negativity. Forde is a great example - it's like he thinks he's in a context to be the most snarky, most condescending, most critical. Not sure what the glass half empty view is? Pat's your guy. There's no situation which can't be sifted to reveal a bleak take. DeCourcy doesn't do that. This is true to his nature. My guess is he's probably right - the NCAA has always said they wouldn't do it again....

But, i) the world was full of experts saying Louisville shouldn't worry about that title banner coming down, since it had never happened before. until it did. And ii) the point about Louisville firing everyone, so they should get credit for that......Sorry. This isn't a case where a school ran off wrongdoers at the first sign of trouble. They kept the President, the AD and the Head Coach through more scandals than you can count. They got the most severe punishment in recent NCAA history, and they were so contrite about it that within 2 weeks they were paying a recruit six figures. That kind of cheekiness has to be punished. Probably won't get the death penalty, but they are going to get hit hard. Another factor not in their favor is the NCAA is fighting right now for credibility. my guess is the NCAA thinks it has to hit someone hard here or else appear completely feckless. The most likely candidate for getting hit really hard is the only repeat offender among the bunch.....

Reactions: VikingCat21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT