ADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo Sports call for Louisville to receive death penalty......

Mojocat

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
https://sports.yahoo.com/louisville...evelations-college-hoops-trial-225857521.html

Dan Wetzel has a column detailing the NCAA repeat violator rule, aka the death penalty, and it’s application to the University of Louisville.

He concludes thusly:

“If the committee on infractions doesn’t have the courage to implement the death penalty on that, then the NCAA should just give up and take it off the books.”

Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't care to see UL receive the death penalty. With all the other crap going on with UNC, Penn State, Baylor, Michigan State and others, paying some players is really no big deal.
I am not a fan of the "Everybody else is doing it" defense. I agree that the death penalty is not good. It is terrible for the entire local community which penalizes business folks who had absolutely nothing to do with the infractions. However, multiple post season bans, scholarship restrictions, roster limitations, etc should all be part of the equation.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't care to see UL receive the death penalty. With all the other crap going on with UNC, Penn State, Baylor, Michigan State and others, paying some players is really no big deal.
Maybe not. If they do get it, it won’t be because of some judgment that paying kids is a big deal. Rather, that would just be the proverbial last straw. No other team caught up in the paying players mess is in danger of the death penalty. Louisville is because it’s incorrigibly corrupt. Aka, a dumpster fire in all material respects....

https://sports.yahoo.com/louisville...evelations-college-hoops-trial-225857521.html

Dan Wetzel has a column detailing the NCAA repeat violator rule, aka the death penalty, and it’s application to the University of Louisville.

He concludes thusly:

“If the committee on infractions doesn’t have the courage to implement the death penalty on that, then the NCAA should just give up and take it off the books.”

The NCAA doesn't have the gonads to do it. They can't take away the memories of what is happening now. I'll never forget, will any of you? Let it be UofIlls legacy, a dumpster fire.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Dirty birds front and center on ESPN website. Just found a reason to crack a beer while enjoying the Baseball game. Also, Yahoo news is from outer space, so take it for what it's worth.

Death penalty no, better punishment is a lengthy probation that sets them so far back their fans would be wishing for the death penalty instead.

A couple years with no post season and scholarship reduction is what is called for. Also maybe a ban on televised games for 2 years as well

Reactions: jace2012
Make them play with no TV, no post season, 3 scholarships for 5 years. Mack would quit and most of their recruiting would be at the YMCA. The ACC would kick them out and the OVC would laugh at them. So I'm against the death penalty. Call it the life support penalty.

The death penalty is exactly what they deserve. You are on probation for whoregate including having the ncaa title vacated and you decide to kick it up a notch by paying players. Shut that ghetto trash down for a couple of years. Hopefully that leads to their expulsion from the ACC. I want this to permanently affect UL basketball and lead the entire athletics program back to non power 5 conference oblivion.

Last edited:
I really have no idea what will actually come of this. But if UL doesn’t get a death penalty, then it may as well not exist. They got a title stripped (no pun intended) and put on probation for hiring hookers for underage kids and then immediately, IMMEDIATELY start paying straight cash for recruits. There is no shame whatsoever in their actions and if losing a title wasn’t enough, nothing but death penalty will be.

Whether they “deserve” the death penalty or not, who knows. But will they get it, or something close? I believe so.

Why? The media, in a general sense, has little invested in Louisville. And the NCAA enforcements office is not much other than the media circus enforcements office. If the media likes you (UNC, Duke), you’re untouchable. Louisville is expendable and I think overall the sports media will be happy to make them a scapegoat, unless someone better comes along.

The death penalth should never be used or threatened with use again if it's not applied to UL. They are a classic case for it. Far worse than SMU football.

I'd give them a 4 year post season ban and 8 scholarship reductions, gaining 2 back each year until the 4 years are up, plus 6 years total probation. It has become apparent that the punishments doled out thus far have not been sufficient.

I doubt the NCAA would even go that far, though I think they should.
One thing for sure I'd like to see is them get kicked out of the ACC and back to the Missouri Valley or Metro.

Reactions: Ugoff
UL fans would absolutely be calling for the death penalty on UK, with glee. UL will never stop cheating and they’ve proven that by repeatedly cheating while on major probation for cheating. They stole a title from cbb by cheating, the right people repossessed that though.

UL needs what SMU got because that is the only thing that’s going to make that school stop cheating. You want to know why teams cheat? Because the reward is more than the penalty, teach UL that it’s not. Send a message to all schools that cheating might not be worth it.

Last edited:
I don't want them to get the death penalty for selfish reasons. It would deprive me the pleasure of watching them lose. And where they're headed, there'll be plenty of losing.

I just have to ask, what was Chris Mack thinking jumping into this cesspool?
If you read their boards, some of the posters even think Mack is beneath them.

It’s always the same, UL must pay for the NCAA being mad at UCheats. Let it happen. :)

I just love it. This is such bittersweet karma for those idiot UL fans over on the their boards. Like that dumb bastard @Steelers2012 For YEARS we heard how cal cheated , we’d have banners stripped and get on probation.

Now we’re reading legit (for yahoo ) articles about UL getting the death Penalty (after having banners stripped and coaches fired for cheating)

@WildCard @KerryRhodes @zipp

Last edited:
Make them play with no TV, no post season, 3 scholarships for 5 years. Mack would quit and most of their recruiting would be at the YMCA. The ACC would kick them out and the OVC would laugh at them. So I'm against the death penalty. Call it the life support penalty.

I change my mind about the death penalty if ul ends up in a YMCA league.

Reactions: awf
Based on your posts in the paddock this is not in the least bit surprising to hear.

Sorry...don't see the point in the entire city of Louisville suffering for the misdeeds of a few clowns. Economically, a death penalty for UL would be terrible for the state of Kentucky.

Though I am sure the livelihoods of people are of no concern of yours since you clearly come off as a bitter person who probably doesn't have much in his life.

Well you better accept the fact that life isn't fair. Louisville, along with some others, ALL deserve the death penalty. batting .300 is better than .000

And from Louisville's standpoint, they did some horrendous things. I'd argue that much worse probably went down at Louisville than many others you'd name. Didn't women actually die on campus and a subsequent coverup ensued?

• Local corruption on a massive scale led by the powerful administration of ULouisville
  • Prostitution provided with university funds by university employees for recruiting purposes.
  • Underage youth were involved in sexual acts with hookers.
  • Underage youth were subjected to sexual actions against their consent.
  • Hundreds of thousands potentially paid to steer recruits.
  • habitual offender.
I don't agree with the conclusion that UNC did nothing wrong. They should have had titles removed and bans in place, potentially reaching the death penalty. Baylor, Penn State, whoever, in a perfect world they'd all go down. But my opinion on that doesn't disqualify Louisville from adhering to the standard those schools were able to evade. Louisville is well beyond dirty enough to punish with extreme harshness.

What's going on here isn't even that. Louisville will more than likely not receive the death penalty and the sports media and most anti-NCAA people are fully aware of that. This is basically an engineered attempt to discredit the NCAA further, death by 1,000 cuts.

Whether or not someone agrees with that, or doesn't, that's what I think is really happening with these positions.

Last edited:
Read their boards... they still are sick at their stomach because “everyone that breathes knows cal cheats” .... line from their scout board [roll]

Nope. People want to believe cal cheats. It’s U6 that everyone knows that cheats now lol.

In a day and age where sunlight has exposed vast corruption within the game, and the media has maintained a fixated state of attention toward Cal this entire time, you'd think that maybe......

maybe

just maaaaaaaaaaaayyybe.....

It would be their sign. But I also assume that because we live in a time of "my thruthism", it doesn't matter what the actual truth is anymore.

He concludes thusly:

Dan probably should go back and read up on the details of SMU then. The death penalty is so severe that it shouldn’t be used in situations where it would be merely punitive.

It should only be used when it is needed to perform a curative function, in addition to being punitive. This means it should be resevered for situations where a school has demonstrated an unwillingness to change in the absence of such a severe punishment.

For SMU, they continued rampant cheating while on probation and members of the institution all the way to the board of governors were involved. You’ll never clean that type of situation up without a death penalty level intervention.

In UL’s case, they’ve cleaned house already, all the way up to the University President. This included firings that were deeply unpopular among the fan base and which have cost the school significant amounts of money (had to pay to get rid of Jurich and Pitino is still costing them money).

Regardless of how obnoxious some of their fans are, if I’m on the committee, I’m voting for punishments other than the death penalty. It would be overkill at this point.

Ppl can say the death penalty is too harsh but they couldnt help but cheat not even 5 months after the whole scandal. Theres no telling what else went on up there under Jurich across the whole school.

In 20 years wku will be a bigger school than uofl as far as athletics.

Reactions: awf and Ky grandpa
They paid for hookers for underaged kids. Some kids didnt want hookers and had them forced upon them. Approximately 3 months after being severely punished for that they were straight paying kids.

ADVERTISEMENT