ADVERTISEMENT

Xaviers, Kaiser Gates staying in draft..

We have to accept the trend that young people want it now. They are being told by followers that you must fear tomorrow because of things that could happen. The lack of fundamentals in even very good players today is astonishing and it makes me understand that some do not want to put in the work to be an all around great player in time.

We have to accept the trend that young people want it now. They are being told by followers that you must fear tomorrow because of things that could happen. The lack of fundamentals in even very good players today is astonishing and it makes me understand that some do not want to put in the work to be an all-around great player in time.
Im going to respectfully disagree. Today's studs are as equal to any in any generation and id argue better. Much better, better all around. Kids work just as hard as they did ever. We've had some guys that were not as skilled but your seeing them as FR with all their flaws and not as a SR which is probably what your pointing to as a player from the "good old days".

Im going to respectfully disagree. Today's studs are as equal to any in any generation and id argue better. Much better, better all around. Kids work just as hard as they did ever. We've had some guys that were not as skilled but your seeing them as FR with all their flaws and not as a SR which is probably what your pointing to as a player from the "good old days".

Nope, doesn’t have anything to do with the good old days. Fundamentals are not taught today in high school. It’s easy to see that players don’t know how to set picks, take a charge, or make a free throw. When it’s dunk, dunk, dunk all the time, there doesn’t seem to be a need for a mid range jumper to practice. You seem caught up in athletic ability which I agree it’s much better today but give me a complete basketball player like Magic and Bird any day.

Plenty of complete players. But i know its futile, things are always better in the past. Always.

Not so, there are players who weren’t complete players but are now after they got into the pros. Heck let’s just do UK players, Wall, Towns, AD, and Cuz are just four who were not fundementally sound in college but became more complete players in the NBA. Name me your list of basketball players in the last 5 years who left for the NBA who you think were complete players in college? Since I’m not great remembering names we can discuss your picks.

Im not suggestin any FR is a complete player. Same way Bird and Magic were not as FR.

No no, I wasn’t assuming you thought that. I just wondered if you had any names of players leaving for the pros that you thought were complete players.

Back to the subject. In some ways I like these other team player's choices only because it makes Kentucky look less ridiculous with some of our players decisions.

I missed Brandon Sampson going pro. That hurts LSU, but they should be pretty awesome with three five-stars coming in next season to go with Waters, Mays and the C transfer from Oregon, Bigby.

Gotta wonder whether poor academic performance gives these kids no choice but to go

Like how you slanted your post to say Freshman. Sort of like who has had the best outcomes in the past and then select a specific number of years to make it to your favor.

Nothing in life stays the same. What happened in the past isn't better or more worthwhile than what happens now.
The converse is also true. What happens today isn’t necessary better or more worthwhile than what happened in the past.

Where did I say it was? The struggle and work is the same, either you put it in and succeed or don't. If someone thinks they are owed something and haven't prepared they will fail, just like in the glory days of yore

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Watched them a lot. He's good but basically the 6th or 7th option on his team. He's making the same mistake Christon made but nowhere near as accomplished in college. Maybe both will be playing in China.

If those guys were putting up those numbers at uk they would have a shot at being drafted given with what they play against. On the other hand, our bigs trying to go don't have a shot because they are freshman and need another yr to develop except for weynen and he's just not ready yet. Pj=undersized can't make fts. If he comes back he will be a first rounder next yr. Vanderbilt=has to prove he can stay healthy, in order for a team to draft him solid first round. If he we're to come out he would be late 50s, while pj would be early 50s at best. As for weynen, if he comes back with the others and puts up a little better numbers he will be a solid early second round pick. That's his ceiling. Maybe late first depending on the class, but highly unlikely

Morals are inherently subjective. It's not as if younger generations can't look back at generations past and ask, "How the hell did they think that was acceptable"?

This country was founded on a lack of morals. Slavery, Violence, Brutality, Extermination of the Native Inhabitants.on up to the not too far back Segregation. There has only been an illusion of morals that the self-righteous pretend to uphold.

Nope, doesn’t have anything to do with the good old days. Fundamentals are not taught today in high school. It’s easy to see that players don’t know how to set picks, take a charge, or make a free throw. When it’s dunk, dunk, dunk all the time, there doesn’t seem to be a need for a mid range jumper to practice. You seem caught up in athletic ability which I agree it’s much better today but give me a complete basketball player like Magic and Bird any day.

mid range jump shoot (worst shot one could take) = fundamentals

Mid-range is worth having. There all worth having. Towns is a great example of a guy here that was as fundamental as any player that has come and went. A historically great player as it turns out.

You cited jump shooting and used Magic Johnson as an example of a complete player.

If Magic is complete, why isn't Westbrook? If Bird is complete, why isn't LeBron?

Look at guys like Towns, Davis, Embiid, Jokic, etc. Today's bigs are as complete as any big of all time.

Not to mention the league continues to trend upward in 3 point percentage, even with an increased number of attempts. They shoot as well or better from the free throw line than at any time in history. Assist numbers are right in line with where they've always been.

Players can be more athletic and just as fundamentally sound. They don't exclude one another.

The morals and values of the past are better than what we have now and it is not even close.

Morals are inherently subjective. It's not as if younger generations can't look back at generations past and ask, "How the hell did they think that was acceptable"?

This country was founded on a lack of morals. Slavery, Violence, Brutality, Extermination of the Native Inhabitants.on up to the not too far back Segregation. There has only been an illusion of morals that the self-righteous pretend to uphold.

lol when?

open your eyes moron.

You cited jump shooting and used Magic Johnson as an example of a complete player.

If Magic is complete, why isn't Westbrook? If Bird is complete, why isn't LeBron?

Look at guys like Towns, Davis, Embiid, Jokic, etc. Today's bigs are as complete as any big of all time.

Not to mention the league continues to trend upward in 3 point percentage, even with an increased number of attempts. They shoot as well or better from the free throw line than at any time in history. Assist numbers are right in line with where they've always been.

Players can be more athletic and just as fundamentally sound. They don't exclude one another.

The first post was about complete players coming into college or leaving college into the pros. No one is saying the players you mentioned did not become complete players, just mentioned two players who learned fundamentals in HS and were complete players early on. Discussion was that kids that leave today are not fundamental sound when they come to college or the pros. But no I don’t think kids like Diallo who are athletically great are fundamentally sound, jmo.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
ADVERTISEMENT