ADVERTISEMENT

Wow.. who starts first game?

It will be:
Richards
PJ
Johnston
Green
Hero

Just like in the Bahamas, Cal will sub Travis for Richards and Travis will get more playing time. Green has the experience so he is not coming off the bench in the beginning of the season.
I dont agree with Travis subbing, for Richards, but I agree with you on the starting lineup. I do see Quickly maybe taking the starting position by end of the season.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
If he starts his best five (based on what we've seen so far):

Quickley
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

But I bet he starts the same five as in the Bahamas until it doesn't work. Travis is mature enough not to care that he comes of the bench. He didn't come here to be the man and average 20 and 10, he's already done that at Stanford.

So, as they say, "if it ain't broke..."

Quickley
Green
Johnson
Washington
Richards

Reactions: Catzman
Cal is gonna start the returners with out a doubt. He keeps showing his hand in the BW teams and Bahamas.

Quickley
Quade
Johnson
PJ
Nick

THATs it take it to the bank

Reactions: Catzman
Platoon 1: Quade, Quickley, Johnson, Washington and Richards.
Platoon 2: Hagans, Baker, Herro, Montgomery, Travis.

I think we at least platoon most of the first half for the first few games. I think as the flow of the game goes along, Cal may adjust to the successful individual match ups game to game for the 2nd half. As the season progresses that could change, but to start, I think you have to utilize the insane depth and high level of talent across the board. We can gas almost any team we play within the first 20, and then utilize the best match ups to further inflict our will and demoralize teams the 2nd half.

I would love to see Cal platoon in the early, non-conference part of the season.

I also like the idea of doing it in the first half and then playing the best guys/matchups in the second half, like you said.

It could help us in at least two ways:

1. It gives the staff the opportunity to see every player against good competition.

2. It will help keep the guys fresh as the season progresses.

I will go with Quickly, Johnson, Washington, Travis, and Richards. That line up would be large. I would love for Herro to be that 6th man/instant offense type for this team. Green with some of that as well.

If I had the keys to the bus ( and I'm glad I dont) I'd go with big line up.

Richards
Travis
Washington
Herro
Quickly

Quickly just doesn't look ready, to be our starting pg imo. I like the combination of Herro and Green who seem to get better penetration, pass better and shoot the 3 very well.

I thought Green might play the SG position, but we have so much perimeter shooting that I'm not sure now. Cal may decide to play with 2 PGs.
Green
Quickley
Johnson
Washington
Richards

That leaves Hagans, Herro, and Travis coming off the bench and getting serious minutes.

But, who knows what Cal will decide to do. We have a stacked team this year.

Don't want to start a whole new thread, but does Cal change how he coaches this team as opposed to some others? Will we see a difference in pace of play,1/2 court offense or anything that jumps out as in "hey we haven't seen this before" type stuff?
It's possible, but I have noticed that no matter how Cal starts the season he always reverts back to a familiar style by the end. I think he has a way, and a rotation that he feels comfortable with, and when the games start to get important he goes back to what he likes.

I thought Green might play the SG position, but we have so much perimeter shooting that I'm not sure now. Cal may decide to play with 2 PGs.
Green
Quickley
Johnson
Washington
Richards

That leaves Hagans, Herro, and Travis coming off the bench and getting serious minutes.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Montgomery. I suspect he's going to get some clock too.

Quickly just doesn't look ready, to be our starting pg imo. I like the combination of Herro and Green who seem to get better penetration, pass better and shoot the 3 very well.
Quickley, the guy who posted an 8:1assist to TO ratio and shot better than 50% from 3 in the Bahamas doesn't look ready to start at PG?

Reactions: CatfanMike47
They all soo goooddd

Like Cal said .Few players will separate themselves.

We just have to wait and see.

Is that Jamal Johnston? [laughing]

I'm kidding. Hey... Calipari has one helluva a good problem deciding who his starting 5 will be. He's doing a great job this season and hasn't played one official game yet. [smoke]

No, good catch. It so happens I am business wise dealing with a person with the last name of Johnston so I think when I type anything close to that name well that's what ends up! So from now on I will make sure to type Brad Johnson (oh wait a minute)?

Yet he didn’t start in the Bahamas nor on the starting team for the Blue White scrimmage. Someone can say “no way Nick and PJ don’t start since they started for this team last year”

No way Travis doesn't start. Dude would have been arguably the preseason Pac-12 POTY.

I scrolled down to see if anyone else caught this before responding, it’s like the guy didn’t watch Quickley play, because anyone with two eyes can clearly see he has easily been the best pg on the team (no slight to Hagans who has been good but has more bad moments by far)

Quickley, the guy who posted an 8:1assist to TO ratio and shot better than 50% from 3 in the Bahamas doesn't look ready to start at PG?

Reactions: Cindog28
Zero chance he doesnt start his 3 sophomores. After that its 2 spots. Keldon gets 1/2. He’ll view Herro the same way he did Booker, a spark of scoring off the bench. It’ll be Quickley, Quade, Keldon, PJ, Nick. Anyone who thinks Reid starts over Nick is crazy. He started Nick all last year when he was basically just a moving afro. Our best 5 was the blue team last night.
Which is crazy to think knowing we have Herro, Hagans, Travis, EJ and even Baker off the bench.
Reid is not coming off the bench. Love how Richards has developed, but Travis is better, experienced, and tested.

If your going to google stats like your the super stat man, at least post the correct stats (stat man) lol.
4.5/.5 would be the correct ratio.
Quickly shot 40% from 3 and 30% fg, so he had better numbers, than I recalled.
I was going off the scrimmage where my boy ( Green )had 9 assists, to what 2, for Quickly and Quickly wasn't shooting very well either. Still would rather have an experienced Green at point, if Cal is playing 1 pg and if he's playing Green as the pg, if not then Green at the 2 and Quickly at the 1.

Putting Herro on the bench is laughable. Cal said the best players will play the most.. He has been the best and he's more than a shooter...

Quikley (Only because Cal seems to want QG off ball)
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

I doubt that it is the starting lineup, but I was impressed with the 'big' lineup that Cal used in the blue/white game. I believe that they had Richards at the 5, Reid at the 4, Washington at the 3, Baker at the 2, and Quade at the 1.

Green
Quickley
Johnson
Washington
Richards

AND Montgomery who has the highest NBA ceiling as a legit 6'10 face up 4. Those bench guys are gonna get between 15 and 20 mpg.

Reactions: KY Long Rifle
ADVERTISEMENT