ADVERTISEMENT

Wow.. who starts first game?

It will be:
Richards
PJ
Johnston
Green
Hero

Just like in the Bahamas, Cal will sub Travis for Richards and Travis will get more playing time. Green has the experience so he is not coming off the bench in the beginning of the season.

Reactions: eb4ukcats
Awesome talent on display last night.

So many options.

I will go with:
PG Quickley
2G Herro
SF K. Johnson
Pf Washington
C Travis

Sophmore Nick Richards or even EJ would work as well but then who do you sit out?

We are loaded!
We can effectively go 10 deep. Not sure it matters who starts.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Platoon 1: Quade, Quickley, Johnson, Washington and Richards.
Platoon 2: Hagans, Baker, Herro, Montgomery, Travis.

I think we at least platoon most of the first half for the first few games. I think as the flow of the game goes along, Cal may adjust to the successful individual match ups game to game for the 2nd half. As the season progresses that could change, but to start, I think you have to utilize the insane depth and high level of talent across the board. We can gas almost any team we play within the first 20, and then utilize the best match ups to further inflict our will and demoralize teams the 2nd half.

Last edited:
Depends on the opponent. Cal has so many chess pieces he could use.
He knows our guys are going to D up no matter who he puts in there, but if he wants to win the opening tip and set the tone early, he's starting Nick, this is what he did last year, then Nick rode the pine.
I think the real tricky part is pg. He COULD go with Green to start, but I think he's going to go with Q at the 1 and either Herro or Green at the 2.
I would start Herro, spread the court with a couple of great shooters and set the tone early.
But there will be times Hagans gets the start just to see how he does kicking the game off.
In the Duke game, I think he goes with Q, Green, Keldon, Washington and Richards to start. He'll use that lineup to push the pace and test Duke's depth, then he'll sub in Travis, EJ, Herro and Hagans.
Think about that. While you're sucking wind, UK is bringing 4 dudes in that can light you up from the inside and outside at any moment.
Good luck.

Zero chance he doesnt start his 3 sophomores. After that its 2 spots. Keldon gets 1/2. He’ll view Herro the same way he did Booker, a spark of scoring off the bench. It’ll be Quickley, Quade, Keldon, PJ, Nick. Anyone who thinks Reid starts over Nick is crazy. He started Nick all last year when he was basically just a moving afro. Our best 5 was the blue team last night.
Which is crazy to think knowing we have Herro, Hagans, Travis, EJ and even Baker off the bench.

We have an embarrassment of riches and Cal has the great problem of figuring out how to play them.

Early in the year I think there are 2 guys basically guaranteed to not start, Baker and Hagans.

I also think there are 2 guys guaranteed to start, Washington and Johnson.

That only leaves 3 guards, 2 of which will start, Herro, IQ and Green

I want to say Green for experience and IQ as lead but I dont know how you start Green in front Herro. Oh well, I'll go with Green but only early.

And that leaves 3 bigs, only 1 of whom can start, Montgomery, Travis, Richards

I think Richards starts by default.

So I have:

IQ
Green
Johnson
Washington
Richards

Glad I'm not trying to figure this one out for real.I think Washington,Green and Richards are locks,as to the others I'll go with Johnson and Herro.I can see Tyler coming off the bench with Quickley as the starter.

The same 5 that started the blue team last night were the same 5 who started the Bahamas games, correct? I think that the 5 who started for the blue team last night are what Cal is planning to go with to start the season.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I always got the feeling Cal kinda promised Quade he would start, to insure he stayed.

Agree with most. I think Quade, PJ, and Richards are essentially a lock. Then you have KJ, Herro, Quickley and Travis for the final two spots. I could see the starting line up being somewhat fluid depending on opponent.

Would think it is more about the total minutes and who finishes the games rather than who starts.

Having so many options is a good problem to have.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I always got the feeling Cal kinda promised Quade he would start, to insure he stayed.
Quade was a really really good player last year for how little pub he got amongst the other guys. 45/38/80 is very good shooting stats for a guy who played mostly out of position last year. He scores really well off ball and is great in PnR. Personally idt Cal had to promise him much of anything, Quade is a great, heady college player.

Agree with most. I think Quade, PJ, and Richards are essentially a lock. Then you have KJ, Herro, Quickley and Travis for the final two spots. I could see the starting line up being somewhat fluid depending on opponent.

Would think it is more about the total minutes and who finishes the games rather than who starts.

Having so many options is a good problem to have.
Agree with this,Cal seems to reinvent the wheel in some way every year.There is always something new that we haven't seen before.This team may not have a #1 draft choice or even one in the top 10 or so but we have a bunch of really good players that he can put on the court in multiple combinations.This group may have the highest basketball IQ's of any team Cal has ever had (here for sure) and maybe anywhere else.

He has multiple players who can do multiple things. they can shoot,run the court,pass the ball,pressure the ball on defense,rebound and play physical.

I know it was a glorified pick-up game but we had 10 guys out there who can come in a game and play.Baker started slow(but who wouldn't in his situation) but by the end of the night he was pretty much up to speed with everyone else and we are talking about the 10th guy fitting in with everyone else.

We have an embarrassment of riches and Cal has the great problem of figuring out how to play them.

Early in the year I think there are 2 guys basically guaranteed to not start, Baker and Hagans.

I also think there are 2 guys guaranteed to start, Washington and Johnson.

That only leaves 3 guards, 2 of which will start, Herro, IQ and Green

I want to say Green for experience and IQ as lead but I dont know how you start Green in front Herro. Oh well, I'll go with Green but only early.

And that leaves 3 bigs, only 1 of whom can start, Montgomery, Travis, Richards

I think Richards starts by default.

So I have:

IQ
Green
Johnson
Washington
Richards

THIS. Well summed up and exactly who I think gets the nod.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
I would be shocked.

Beyond shocked.

If a 19 and 10, preseason Pac 12 POY candidate if he doesn't transfer, doesn't start.
If we are talking exhibition games vs the Duke game I think Travis cones off the bench.Cal will let him to play his way into the starting line up and Cal knows he (Travis) can handle that

Same starting line up as the Bahamas. That starting five looks good and since it didn’t seem to bother the guys play that came off the bench, why mess with it? Through all the practices you noticed the five hasn’t changed so Cal seems to also agree with that idea

Reactions: CatfanMike47
How do you sit Reid Travis? The best low post scorer and rebounder on the team.

He might not start but he won't be setting long. He will play more minutes than Richards and Montgomery. I do believe we will see a 3 big lineup more this year than most people think. I don't believe the starting lineup at the beginning of the season we be the same as the starting lineup in March, and Travis will probably be starting by then.

Don't want to start a whole new thread, but does Cal change how he coaches this team as opposed to some others? Will we see a difference in pace of play,1/2 court offense or anything that jumps out as in "hey we haven't seen this before" type stuff?

Depth to easily deploy two tank regiments...

uk-tank.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT