ADVERTISEMENT

Wow.Cal is really done recruiting this season

He will have more opportunity to play and not have Bricks playing ahead of him.
He took 9 3s last year. You think all of a sudden because Brooks is gone he's magically going to become a good 3 pt shooter? Toppin has a lot of strengths...good mid range game, good defensively- but he has shown nothing to indicate he will become an effective 3 point shooter.

Reactions: delk4three
You're not even sure he's coming back. But your theory is that with more minutes he'll shoot more and better threes? Let's wait and see. Color me skeptical.
Never said he would shoot better threes. You can be a stretch 4 without being a great 3-point shooter. He proved he has the ability to make long-range shots and is an explosive athlete. He's an upgrade over Brooks and that's a good thing. I'm not sure he's coming back. Nobody is. I hope he does because I really think he can have a special year.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
He took 9 3s last year. You think all of a sudden because Brooks is gone he's magically going to become a good 3 pt shooter? Toppin has a lot of strengths...good mid range game, good defensively- but he has shown nothing to indicate he will become an effective 3 point shooter.
When did I say he would be a great 3-point shooter? Again, you can be a stretch 4 and not be a great 3-point shooter.

Never said he would shoot better threes. You can be a stretch 4 without being a great 3-point shooter. He proved he has the ability to make long-range shots and is an explosive athlete. He's an upgrade over Brooks and that's a good thing. I'm not sure he's coming back. Nobody is. I hope he does because I really think he can have a special year.
OK I see where you're going with this, but our biggest weakness lately has been the lack of 3 shooters. Looking at teams like Arky and Auburn, they've got forwards who can stick the three. We need more versatility in our lineup. Otherwise we're one dimensional. If we only have two guys who can shoot the three and they're both guards, we're sunk without a trace.

OK I see where you're going with this, but our biggest weakness lately has been the lack of 3 shooters. Looking at teams like Arky and Auburn, they've got forwards who can stick the three. We need more versatility in our lineup. Otherwise we're one dimensional. If we only have two guys who can shoot the three and they're both guards, we're sunk without a trace.
Oh, I completely agree. On that same note, a stretch 4 that can shoot the three is far from the solution to our problems. We are not going to be a strong shooting team and if CJ isn't able to play a full, healthy season, watch out. Teams are going to pack it in on us and dare us to shoot the three. With Wheeler playing PG, defense against UK is easy. I'm more frustrated that Calipari has just given up on this roster. He needs to kick rocks.

Reactions: LowCountryCat
Oh, I completely agree. On that same note, a stretch 4 that can shoot the three is far from the solution to our problems. We are not going to be a strong shooting team and if CJ isn't able to play a full, healthy season, watch out. Teams are going to pack it in on us and dare us to shoot the three. With Wheeler playing PG, defense against UK is easy. I'm more frustrated that Calipari has just given up on this roster. He needs to kick rocks.
Yep all we need is one 5-for-25 night from behind the arc and our tournament is over. Oscar can only do so much, as the loss to St. LOL proved.

those 2 coaches have adapted to the modern game
you have to have shooters on the floor
you can not have 1 shooter & a point guard that can not shoot
you can't have 2 forward that can't shoot outside of 10'

ccc needs to watch Golden State & Miami
see how their offense flows based on shooters

I do, they stretch the floor. A 4 that can make mid to long-range jumpers is considered a stretch 4.
Negative. Analytics have virtually negated the long 2 in modern basketball. Most teams will give up long 2s. Brady Manek is the best example of a college stretch 4. Opens up the floor for penetration and gives Oscar room to operate. But you can call it whatever you'd like.

Negative. Analytics have virtually negated the long 2 in modern basketball. Most teams will give up long 2s. Brady Manek is the best example of a college stretch 4. Opens up the floor for penetration and gives Oscar room to operate. But you can call it whatever you'd like.
So, a stretch 4 doesn't........stretch the floor? That's an odd take.

I'm not arguing who the best college example of a stretch 4 is. I'm simply stating that Toppin is one. He isn't the best and won't be the best, but he is still a stretch 4.

When's the last time we had a 4 who could shoot the 3

So, a stretch 4 doesn't........stretch the floor? That's an odd take.

I'm not arguing who the best college example of a stretch 4 is. I'm simply stating that Toppin is one. He isn't the best and won't be the best, but he is still a stretch 4.
A 27% shooter from 3 (who only attempted 9) isn't stretching anything. You give him a step (or 2) and dare him to shoot a 3. You double off him when the ball goes to the post because you closeout short if they kick it back to him. The defender clogs driving lanes. You truly don't understand, but that's ok.

A 27% shooter from 3 (who only attempted 9) isn't stretching anything. You give him a step (or 2) and dare him to shoot a 3. You double off him when the ball goes to the post because you closeout short if they kick it back to him. The defender clogs driving lanes. You truly don't understand, but that's ok.
You are so stuck on the fact that a stretch 4 has to shoot threes that you have lost the definition.

Also, 9 attempts is a very small sample size. If he makes one more of those 9, he's shooting 33% which is right on par with the collegiate average for a good 3-point shooter. Therefore, your argument is weak. He makes 2 more and he's shooting 44% which is better than most. So either agree with that or ditch the entire 27% shooter argument.

You are so stuck on the fact that a stretch 4 has to shoot threes that you have lost the definition.

Also, 9 attempts is a very small sample size. If he makes one more of those 9, he's shooting 33% which is right on par with the collegiate average for a good 3-point shooter. Therefore, your argument is weak. He makes 2 more and he's shooting 44% which is better than most. So either agree with that or ditch the entire 27% shooter argument.
That's the literal definition of a stretch 4. 😂 Anything other than that and they are a traditional 4. You do you pal. Or maybe google, or talk to someone who understands basketball.

Reactions: Ed323232

Stretch four​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

Dirk Nowitzki, pictured in 2008, was well-known for his outside shooting ability as a seven-footer.
In basketball, a stretch four (sometimes called a stretch big) is a player at the power forward position that can generate offense farther from the basket than a conventional power forward. "Stretch" describes the effect such a player has on the opposition defense, and the power forward position is also known as the "four"; hence "stretch four". The stretch four is a fairly recent innovation in the NBA (with an "explosion"[1] of players coming through since the 1999–2000 season),[2] but is still becoming increasingly common in today's game, as many NBA coaches now use the "small-ball" line-up/tactical play.[3]

Contents​

Style of play[edit]​

Power forwards (PF's) traditionally play close to the basket, using their size and strength to provide interior defense, posting up (scoring close to the basket) and rebounding.[4] A stretch four is a player that is of power forward size but has superior shooting skills (especially three-point field goals), spending more of their time away from the basket.[5] While using these skills on offense, the player retains the ability to defend the opposing power forward.

Stretch four​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

Dirk Nowitzki, pictured in 2008, was well-known for his outside shooting ability as a seven-footer.
In basketball, a stretch four (sometimes called a stretch big) is a player at the power forward position that can generate offense farther from the basket than a conventional power forward. "Stretch" describes the effect such a player has on the opposition defense, and the power forward position is also known as the "four"; hence "stretch four". The stretch four is a fairly recent innovation in the NBA (with an "explosion"[1] of players coming through since the 1999–2000 season),[2] but is still becoming increasingly common in today's game, as many NBA coaches now use the "small-ball" line-up/tactical play.[3]

Contents​

Style of play[edit]​

Power forwards (PF's) traditionally play close to the basket, using their size and strength to provide interior defense, posting up (scoring close to the basket) and rebounding.[4] A stretch four is a player that is of power forward size but has superior shooting skills (especially three-point field goals), spending more of their time away from the basket.[5] While using these skills on offense, the player retains the ability to defend the opposing power forward.
Hopefully this helps the resident "4" expert.

a stretch four (sometimes called a stretch big) is a player at the power forward position that can generate offense farther from the basket than a conventional power forward

I don't know many "traditional" power forwards that routinely take jump shots. It's funny because I'm not arguing that he is a great stretch 4, but to say Toppin is not a stretch 4 is just incorrect.

• Haha
Reactions: RipThru
He'll only take 9 threes this year, because our brilliant coach will tell him to take one step in and shoot it. That shot is the worst shot in basketball, but Cal has these guys shooting it as a primary weapon.

a stretch four (sometimes called a stretch big) is a player at the power forward position that can generate offense farther from the basket than a conventional power forward

I don't know many "traditional" power forwards that routinely take jump shots. It's funny because I'm not arguing that he is a great stretch 4, but to say Toppin is not a stretch 4 is just incorrect.
He's not a post player, true. But he needs work from three else he becomes useless. But you already made that point so we're talking in circles LOL

Reactions: GuyFromKY
Which forwards off of Arkansas and Auburn shot the 3 well? Jabari Smith. Who else?

Not many teams have forwards that can stick 3s at higher than 35% clip.

That's the literal definition of a stretch 4. 😂 Anything other than that and they are a traditional 4. You do you pal. Or maybe google, or talk to someone who understands basketball.
"In basketball, a stretch four is a player at the power forward position that can generate offense farther from the basket than a conventional power forward. "Stretch" describes the effect such a player has on the opposition defense, and the power forward position is also known as the "four"; hence "stretch four".

Nothing about 3-point shooting, just "farther" from the basket.

He will have the opportunity to shoot more this year.

2019 had PJ shoot 42.3% on 2.2 attempts

2018 had Wenyen Gabriel (39.6% on 2.9 attempts, only 17.7 min/g)

2017 had Wenyen (lesser shooter that year, 31.7% on 1.7 attempts, 17.7min/g) and Derek Willis (37.7% on 3.4 attempts, 21.9 min/g). That's a total of 35.7% on 5.1 attempts from the 4 spot.
So PJ made less than 1 per game. Gabriel 1 per game. Those aren't threats. You're strengthening my argument.

"In basketball, a stretch four is a player at the power forward position that can generate offense farther from the basket than a conventional power forward. "Stretch" describes the effect such a player has on the opposition defense, and the power forward position is also known as the "four"; hence "stretch four".

I've tried to explain this but he just isn't getting it.

The definition I posted DEFINITELY mentions and even emphasizes three point shooting. Scroll up and read it.

So PJ made less than 1 per game. Gabriel 1 per game. Those aren't threats. You're strengthening my argument.
Which also strengthens my argument that a stretch 4 does not have to be a sharpshooter from 3. Make 1 or 2 a game to keep the defense honest and you have....wait for it............

A stretch 4.

Which also strengthens my argument that a stretch 4 does not have to be a sharpshooter from 3. Make 1 or 2 a game to keep the defense honest and you have....wait for it............

A stretch 4.
IF Toppin comes back, and IF Toppin shoots 3 3s per game, and IF Toppin makes 1 per game, then MAAAAAYYBE it'll open up the floor a little. But Wheeler will hold us back unless he becomes deadly.

IF Toppin comes back, and IF Toppin shoots 3 3s per game, and IF Toppin makes 1 per game, then MAAAAAYYBE it'll open up the floor a little. But Wheeler will hold us back unless he becomes deadly.
Wheeler running the point is more detrimental than not having a stretch 4.

Reactions: LowCountryCat
Cal frowns on anyone but guards taking 3's. Maybe that is why we are always near the bottom taking 3's.

You were talking about Terrence Jones who made 0.7 per game as a Freshman, 0.4 per game as a sophomore.
I know it's statistics and mathematics and law of average and all that, but these stats crack me up when you think of them in a literal sense. Making 0.4 of a shot is hilarious. You can count on him to have a shot go 40% of the way in and rim back out every game. I know, it's dumb and doesn't take much to make me laugh.

Great take on Wheeler. He's got to improve his jumper. His mechanics were much better as year went on but it's got to be about confidence/conviction when taking shots and not hoping they go in. But his balance improved from his UGA days. Good thing about shooting it's something you can improve if you put in the work.

Toppin is going to be a big time player in the fact he can actually put the ball on the floor and attack the basket but also pass-which were Keion's weaknesses. Jacob is also a better defensive player.

I'm in minority but I like what '23 team looks like and yet I'd like to see one more shot maker/playmaker added. I'm also hopeful this S&C hire can make sure guys prepare for the season based on what they individually need to focus on (Cal alluded to that in Press Release of new hire which was great to read) and not cookie cutter train. Also had someone PM me who knows far more than I do about S&C stuff and mentioned how one of the weaknesses of the program was in area of rest/recovery. I'm just passing something on from someone who had first hand info and don't claim to know a damn thing about how to prepare a world class athlete to lift/train. I know how to workout for a high 40 yr old man and still look as mid as it gets (getting old sucks) but worth passing it on.

Reactions: TM2013
ADVERTISEMENT