ADVERTISEMENT

Worst UK game you've been too?

I've been to Rupp exactly 8 times. Gardner Webb was 1 of those. I've seen some bad basketball in my time, but that had to be the worst.

The thing I remember most about that game wasn't the fact that we got throttled on our home floor by a team with the fraction of the talent we had, it was the alarm bells that went off in my head as I watched Otis Gillispie squatted along the sideline with that patented smirk as though he knew something that the rest of us didn't and the joke was on us.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
The thing I remember most about that game wasn't the fact that we got throttled on our home floor by a team with the fraction of the talent we had, it was the alarm bells that went off in my head as I watched Otis Gillispie squatted along the sideline with that patented smirk as though he knew something that the rest of us didn't and the joke was on us.

While I agree, and GW incident was certainly worse, I remember the 2010 team struggling to beat Miami (Oh) and Sam Houston at Rupp early in the season.

Of course that team corrected the ship and had a great season. Can’t say the same for Billy G. And the future consisted of division 2-3 caliber recruits.

Worst game I attended was the 97 Senior Day loss to the Chikins with the SEC East title on the line. We were inexplicably swept by them that year, and Pitino had a special farewell ceremony for Ron Mercer after the game that was just surreal after a loss like that.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Worst game I attended was the 97 Senior Day loss to the Chikins with the SEC East title on the line. We were inexplicably swept by them that year, and Pitino had a special farewell ceremony for Ron Mercer after the game that was just surreal after a loss like that.
That was an awful game for UK, but it's not inexplicable that SC Jr swept UK that year. That South Carolina team had 3 excellent guards that gave UK fits, much the same way that Arizona did in the Title Game, and they finished conference play at 15-1. Also helped SC (a lot) that both games came after Derek Anderson went out for the year.

The type of 3 guard lineup that SC trotted out that year, where those guards were responsible for almost all the offense, was pretty uncommon in 97, but started to become very normal not long after. It's the reason that when Pitino came back to the college game, his UL teams never used the fullcourt press as intensely, or played at anywhere near as fast a pace, as his UK teams did. Too many teams were suddenly being built like those SC and Arizona teams, able to carve up a press and beat traps for layups.

That was an awful game for UK, but it's not inexplicable that SC Jr swept UK that year. That South Carolina team had 3 excellent guards that gave UK fits, much the same way that Arizona did in the Title Game, and they finished conference play at 15-1. Also helped SC (a lot) that both games came after Derek Anderson went out for the year.

The type of 3 guard lineup that SC trotted out that year, where those guards were responsible for almost all the offense, was pretty uncommon in 97, but started to become very normal not long after. It's the reason that when Pitino came back to the college game, his UL teams never used the fullcourt press as intensely, or played at anywhere near as fast a pace, as his UK teams did. Too many teams were suddenly being built like those SC and Arizona teams, able to carve up a press and beat traps for layups.

Yeah, it was a bad matchup for us, but damn....that was hard to swallow for me, as I was doing some work out of our Columbia facility at the time and had to hear that crap every day.

Reactions: musrat59
Since I wrote best game, what was your worst game? Mine was Senior Night 2009. UK vs. Georgia. If UK won they might've went to the NCAA tournament. Instead they laid an egg and we booed Billy G.

At least you didn't go to the Garden-Webb game (BCG's second game)! Talk about shortest coaching honeymoon ever!!

Yeah, it was a bad matchup for us, but damn....that was hard to swallow for me, as I was doing some work out of our Columbia facility at the time and had to hear that crap every day.
It was a shock at the time.

The first game at SC was an OT nail-biter that UK easily could have won, and it came when UK was still transitioning into playing without DA (and I think Prickett also missed the game). UK came into that last game absolutely rolling, and everyone assumed that SC had no chance. Then UK couldn't hit ANYTHING. Very deflating, though it turned out to be relatively meaningless (beyond possibly giving Arizona a gameplan).

That was the 2nd time a Pitino UK team that ended up a 1 seed didn't even win the SEC East (Vandy 93), which is just a weird, random, fluke thing.

Last edited:
The worst that I was in attendance for was Pittsburgh's dismantling of us in Rupp.

Since I wrote best game, what was your worst game? Mine was Senior Night 2009. UK vs. Georgia. If UK won they might've went to the NCAA tournament. Instead they laid an egg and we booed Billy G.
First time I saw the Cats was playing UGA in Athens....they lost 72-65. I took a date to the game.....it was a first date.....and a last. No worries though.....plenty of co-eds at UGA!

The home loss to VMI to start the 2008-09 season. I gave Billy G a pass after his first season but I wanted him fired immediately after that game.

I was at that game. I r ememeber my friend calling me laughing about UK being down at halftime. I just said it's early in the year we will come out Billy G style.

Little did I know that meant drunk as sht.

UK/MSU @ The Hump in '76. Cats played like hell and the MSU fans were even worse, almost got Pops ass kicked by some Jerry Clower look-a-like, never saw a fat man hurdle over some seats like that 'neck.

2016-17 - UL at the Yum center on a Wednesday. Fox and Monk looked like they could care less about the “Rivalry”. Missed forced jumpers for most of the game while Q Snider had his career game.

Reactions: jimmy5-11
I was there also. It was the first time we had lost at home on senior day in decades. I remember the after the game thing too. They didn't even really do anything except tell us they would make up for it by cutting the nets down. They came agonizingly close too. I was only like 12 but I'll never forget it.

But I'll go with the loss to western in 01 my senior year in high school. I had an obnoxious Western fan in my first period sociology class who ran her mouth both before and after the game. We went into that season talking title too. Their big center dominated us.

I've been lucky enough not to be present for any truly awful losses. I think the worst I remember feeling after a game I attended was the A&M game at home during the 12-13 season. The kid for A&M went for 40 and I think it was Cal's first home loss at UK.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
The first Kentucky vs. UL game after so many years. Jim Masters hits a tie shot to send game into overtime. But UL controlled overtime. Made UL legitimate.

Reactions: jimmy5-11
2015 - 1st Final Four I had ever been. Chance to see history with an undefeated 40-0 team. Instead, witnessed the miserable loss, while surrounded by pricks mocking UK.

I don’t go to many games myself and this was also my first final four and definitely the worst game I’ve attended. I think it’s the only loss I’ve been to.

Also from my little bit of experience sports fans in the north are just so much more hostile. IU fans, Syracuse fans, uconn fans, basically all of the B1G are just constantly spewing hate and vitriol. It’s extremely rude. You don’t seem to get that in the south. At least not nearly to the same degree. Southern hospitality is a real thing.

Game after Noel went down in 2013 vs Ut in Knoxville. Just awful. We lost by 30
This. Wife got me tickets for my birthday and we traveled from Northern Kentucky to Knoxville. Game was long over by halftime and just miserable.

I don’t go to many games myself and this was also my first final four and definitely the worst game I’ve attended. I think it’s the only loss I’ve been to.

Also from my little bit of experience sports fans in the north are just so much more hostile. IU fans, Syracuse fans, uconn fans, basically all of the B1G are just constantly spewing hate and vitriol. It’s extremely rude. You don’t seem to get that in the south. At least not nearly to the same degree. Southern hospitality is a real thing.

Thing is, it was Florida Gator fans (Florida wasn’t in the final 4 that year) who were the jerks. The Wisconsin fans sitting around me were nice enough. There we’re not any Duke fans near.

Last edited:
Billy G's second year, tickets were VERY available so I went to several games. I don't even remember the opponent but one game our offense was just absolutely atrocious, at one point we had three guys on the floor (Porter, Stevenson, Harris) who couldn't score and wouldn't even shoot. We just passed it back and forth around the perimeter doing nothing. Looking at the schedule, I'm betting it was Mississippi State, we scored 57 that game. I know I was also at the LSU game but that was narrow loss to a decent team.

1981 against Notre Dame in Freedom Hall...

They stalled and we won 34-28 in overtime.

Was my first UK game. Went to the practice, dragged my Grandfather to it. Never got over my loathing for ND, and Digger. I would even pull for UL over ND after that game. It's the only team in the country I do pull for U6 to beat. My hatred for them burns like a star in my chest, and keeps me warm in the winter.

Reactions: stenchymouse
1980 UK/Alabama game. It was my sophomore year and UK (#4) led by Bowie and Macy lost by 14 to an unranked Bama squad in Rupp Arena. They were down by 21 at half. It was one of the few games that I left before it was over.

Last edited:
I was at that game also. It sucked. Probably the most disappointing game I’ve been to in person was in Syracuse in 2010 against West Virginia.

I was also at the game in Bloomington in 2012-12 when we lost on the last second shot.
Indiana fans are the absolute worst. We were harassed, threatened, screamed at, had food and drinks thrown on us, and they also started trying to turn our car over as we we were trying to leave. They quickly scattered when I pulled my gun from my console and pointed it at them. Their behavior started well before the game, when we were getting food and drinks, and lasted until they scattered after I pulled my gun. My biggest regret is not shooting a couple of those aholes.

People actually believe this happend?

Reactions: FactCheckerUSA
I went back and looked at Jon Scott's site and I have been to 19 UK games beginning in 1983. The win loss record is 17-2 in those games. The losses were 1985 vs Florida (Eugene "the dunking machine" McDowell) and 2014 SECT final vs. UF. Neither were horrible losses,but I would have to go with the SEC final as the worst although that was the 3rd loss to them that year so not unexpected.

I, too, was at the game in Knoxville after Noel went down. I stayed to the bitter end. UT fans were nice and subdued. The other awful game was in the 1980’s at Vanderbilt when the Cats lost by 30 to Vandy. Don’t remember specifics, but a drunk gentleman in front of me tried to pick a fight with a group of us (UK fans) and we graciously avoided his taunts.

UK 24
UC 11

. Wow what a bizarre situation that was. My first game, 9 years old.

I met Tony Yates years later. Told him that he owed me money for that pile of steaming chit. He laughed at first and then got a little shitty with me. Screw him.

In his post game interview he said that he never backs down from anyone. Did that night.

I hate to bring up a game that we won but the Auburn game in 97 when Derek Anderson got hurt. We won the battle but lost the war.

ADVERTISEMENT