ADVERTISEMENT

Worried About WVU? -- Stop It!

Apr 10, 2012
I'm not saying it can't happen, and I do understand the nervousness. It's do or die now -- Win or go home.

But if we can't beat West Virginia Thursday, we don't deserve to win a National Title (obviously, but you know what I mean)

West Virginia is not a good basketball team -- Stop listening to the talking heads. This is a very very average basketball team.

Could it happen? Yeah, but only if we beat ourselves. If we come out prepared, WVU can not play with this team.

Relax and enjoy the ride.

That's what I keep coming back to, if we can't win vs WVU, we don't deserve #9.

Correct, if UK can't beat Wva then the cats definitely weren't worthy of winning the title but that's why everyone is worried. If UK loses we would rather it be by last second heave by Wisconsin or Duke in the FF or title game. Lose now to a bad team and we will never hear the end of it. Every rival fan, every talking head and even some of our own will discredit what this team did accomplish by saying this proved UK played a weak schedule and couldn't even beat lowly West Virginia. That's the problem and you even admitted it OP, you said "it could happen". Well, that's the fear and it's made more realistic when you think about what happened in 2010. The unthinkable happened. Then Wva turned around and got thumped by duke which made it so much worse. We don't want that to happen again.
There, I think you understand now.

"I'm so scared because of a game we played against WVU in 2010. I understand that no one from either team is on either of these rosters and the outcome of that game has ZERO correlation/causation/anyotheration on the result of the game on Thursday, but I'm still irrationally scared and am trying to figure out what UK gear I was wearing that night so I don't wear it again on Thursday."

- many people in BBN

Folks, relax. Vegas has us as both the hands-down favorite to win the title and a 13.5 pt favorite over WVU. They typically don't miss on spreads by much this time of the year, especially by 14 points (which is what they would have to miss by for WVU to win). Not saying it can't happen, but try and at least be semi-rational before getting paranoid (or even scared).

Da'Sean Butler, Kevin Jones and Devin Ebanks ain't walkin' through that door.

That was a GOOD West Virginia team.

This one is not.

For comparison same, Kentucky is a 13.5 point favorite.

In 2010, Kentucky was only a 4 point favorite.

Fans who are worried about this game are worried from a Huggins-Calipari historical perspective. Who has the right to blame them? Message board police? Badge number and precint, please? What is the head-to-head record between the two coaches? Huggins has won like 90% of the time? Calipari has won only 1 time? Say what you want to, but nothing will keep those number from being fact. Nothing will keep the annoying memories of 1-3-1 zone defenses from also being fact. Nothing will keep people who flatly say "West Virginia is not a good basketball team" from being wrong. They are a good team. We have a great team. We should win, yes. People who think is it not possible for a great team to lose to a good team in the round of 16, particularly when a great coach like Bob Huggins is involved are out of touch. If they select to go through the week without a care under the sun, great. But obviously they still have enough concern to be critical of those who remain thoughtful.

^Exactly... frankly I'm a little perturbed that some of our fans think a team in the sweet 16 is dog#%@.

Look, we better be worried. Their point guard , Staten, is quick as hell and a 4 years of experience. He will blow by Andrew all day. 100% fact. He is also physical and could get Tyler Uliss in foul trouble.
This doesn't even take into account their crazy ass pressure trap defense that ALWAYS turns people over or their post guy with the goggles who offensive rebounds like a machine.
They've only lost like 4 games with their point guard at full health. They are really a 2 seed if he didn't get hurt and the 2nd best Big 12 team.
They beat people even if they shoot horrible and get blocked 7 times.
If we turn the ball over early in the game they could build an early lead which allows their point guard to drive like crazy.
WE don't play zone and West Virginia has been beat... [WITH their point guard healthy]... using a zone by texas and Baylor.

WVU hasn't played any team near what they are going to see Thursday.

Didn't make the tournament this year; they're not making the E8 the following year.

One player at 6'10".

I think our post players are the difference.

You almost had me worried until your "We don't play zone and that's how they've been beat" nonsense.

Zone defenses are a gimmick used by coaches with inferior talent.

Everyone needs to get off the "Play zone!" horse.

We just have to drive them off the 3 point line, and limit our turnovers and their 2nd chance points.

The only way they have a chance is to be great in all three of those areas.

Originally posted by TopCat16:
You almost had me worried until your "We don't play zone and that's how they've been beat" nonsense.

Zone defenses are a gimmick used by coaches with inferior talent.

Everyone needs to get off the "Play zone!" horse.
I mentioned zone because all 4 of their losses as a FULL HEALTHY TEAM came by teams playing ZONE the whole game. Playing man to man helps them win easier most of the time because of their point guard and his speed. If you stop his drives then they can be beat by 20.
Other option to zone is to get him in FOUL trouble early in the game. 2 FOULS in the first five minutes would hurt west virg pretty badly.
If ya cant play zone or get him in foul trouble then its going to be a problem with Juwan Staten.

Please just stop the 2010 hand wringing....

We are not going to jack up 32 three's
We are not going to hit just 12% of our threes
WVU is not going to hit 10 3pt shots
WVU is not going to shoot more FT's than UK

These are two different teams....it's not apples to oranges, its apples to elephants. Coaches are the only link.

I just can't see WVA being able to score enough points to pull an upset. Where are they going to score from? At the rim...not likely. 3 point line? Maybe but, can they hit enough to win? Not likely. So, that leaves free throws and a few garbage points. Not enough.

Originally posted by Bluegrass79:

Look, we better be worried. Their point guard , Staten, is quick as hell and a 4 years of experience. He will blow by Andrew all day. 100% fact. He is also physical and could get Tyler Uliss in foul trouble.
This doesn't even take into account their crazy ass pressure trap defense that ALWAYS turns people over or their post guy with the goggles who offensive rebounds like a machine.
They've only lost like 4 games with their point guard at full health. They are really a 2 seed if he didn't get hurt and the 2nd best Big 12 team.
If we turn the ball over early in the game they could build an early lead which allows their point guard to drive like crazy.
WE don't play zone and West Virginia has been beat... [WITH their point guard healthy]... using a zone by texas and Baylor.
Your giving WVU too much credit.

Damn. Juwan Staten ain't Kyrie Irving. He averages 14 ppg. He's solid, but not All World.

Here are my thoughts (not that they matter lol):

---WVU will some out high energy and keep it close for around 10-15 minutes.
---We will pull away to end the first half.
---Second half WVU will wear down from all of the running and pressure and we get easy baskets.
---We win by 12-15.

THIS^^^^ Is amazes me at how many teams that no one considers noteworthy during the entire season suddenly become the next Great White Hope just before playing Kentucky. If I didn't know better, from reading the OHNO! squads latest howls of despair, the following would be true.

1. WV is the greatest rebounding team in the last one hundred years.
2. There will no chance to inbound the ball for Kentucky, because no team has ever done it this year against the World Famous Juggernaut Press.
3. That WV press is so daunting, that Kentucky will never get across half court with the ball in their possession.
4, Their Goggle Boy will crush WCS, KAT, Lyles and Johnson, who will all run screaming in fear from his rebounding.
5. They have the greatest guard who has ever played the game in Juwan Staten, even though the draft folks in the NBA have never heard of him because he has been there four years under a cloak of invisibility( I mean really, would YOU turn down the league to stay in West Virginia an extra three years?)
6. Cal's manly parts shrink to the size of raisins whenever someone says the name 'Huggins', and he loses all ability to coach.

So many superlatives are being thrown around about WV, I think the OHNO! squads are running out of adjectives. How about the description 'average team', again playing their Super Bowl against the Cats?

Who is next? Can I be the first to claim them to be the best offensive and defensive team UK has played all year, or that ever existed in America? Sheesh.

This post was edited on 3/24 1:29 PM by Rage of the Elderly

If the refs actually do their job WV will be in foul trouble the entire game. They foul like crazy.

I'm watching the Texas-WV game (2nd one at WV).

Couple things I've noticed:
They really like to pass from the high post down low. Seen it several times. Texas has done a terrible job of protecting the ball. That's how WV is scoring. They are a pretty terrible shooting team from what I see. They're gonna have trouble with our length. They like to go inside so there will be lots of swat opportunitiesLOBS - lobs are there to be had. Texas hit on a couple and missed a few that UK would not miss on. Hope they are practicing this all week long
That Cincinnati game couldn't have come at a better time. That game will have us prepared for them, along with playing Arkansas recently. WV's press looks pretty much like Arkansas.

We just have to push the ball up the court and things will be open. Almost through the first half of this game and Texas has had 7-10 lobs available. In the first half. Texas missed several of them but they ain't us :).

WV is leading 25-12 because of Texas turnovers and poor interior defense.

Originally posted by TopCat16:
I'm not saying it can't happen, and I do understand the nervousness. It's do or die now -- Win or go home.

But if we can't beat West Virginia Thursday, we don't deserve to win a National Title (obviously, but you know what I mean)

West Virginia is not a good basketball team -- Stop listening to the talking heads. This is a very very average basketball team.

Could it happen? Yeah, but only if we beat ourselves. If we come out prepared, WVU can not play with this team.

Relax and enjoy the ride.
The concerns are coming because Huggins beat the John Wall - Demarcus Cousins team, plus all the hype in the media about WV's full court press after they beat Maryland. But WV is 1 of the worst shooting teams in the country, and we are 1 of the best defensive teams. All of WV's hopes in this game will depend on forcing Kentucky into committing 20-25 turnovers. I don't think that will happen. Even if it does, WV will still have to figure out a way to score. By the way, all 7 ESPN experts are still picking Kentucky to advance to the FF.

Minute to go, Texas is shooting 69% and down 12 because of turnovers. What's Kentucky gonna do?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

WVU is turning into the last week Wisconsin scare talk. They don't have the talent we do and i am honestly not worried about our boys. We will come to play.

Hey Bluegrass, you make it sound like we're playing some NBA team. Come down off the ledge, buddy.

Other than the wording that is bolded I agree with your post. As for the bold lettering, I will have to see it to believe it. (For now and nothing against you Bluegrass79.) I call BS.

We have some SERIOUS equalizers...The likes of whom WVU cannot imagine in their (WVU) WORST nightmare.

Originally posted by BBUK:

Other than the wording that is bolded I agree with your post. As for the bold lettering, I will have to see it to believe it. (For now and nothing against you Bluegrass79.) I call BS.

We have some SERIOUS equalizers...The likes of whom WVU cannot imagine in their (WVU) WORST nightmare.
Bluegrass79 must be smoking some good grass! WVU has lost 6 games with their "star" PG. They have lost by 27, 19, 18, (against Baylor, who they lost to by 12, and 10 without Staten LOL), and 20 in those 6 games. Most of those teams turned it over a lot, and still killed WVU.

Originally posted by sefus12:
"I'm so scared because of a game we played against WVU in 2010. I understand that no one from either team is on either of these rosters and the outcome of that game has ZERO correlation/causation/anyotheration on the result of the game on Thursday, but I'm still irrationally scared and am trying to figure out what UK gear I was wearing that night so I don't wear it again on Thursday."

- many people in BBN

Folks, relax. Vegas has us as both the hands-down favorite to win the title and a 13.5 pt favorite over WVU. They typically don't miss on spreads by much this time of the year, especially by 14 points (which is what they would have to miss by for WVU to win). Not saying it can't happen, but try and at least be semi-rational before getting paranoid (or even scared).
I think I checked the rosters and none of the players returned from either team..... Plus, all WVU was drive to the basket against UK that night.... We couldn't, or didn't stop the drive to the basket.... This team will not allow that and if they do get past the guards, they will get their shot placed directly back in their face.... Huggy can't do a thing about it, except to bow up like a bear.... He's not putting gloves on and getting in the ring.... So, don't be afraid of the little bear that lost his claws, or his cub daughters that seem to like to talk, or so I hear......

I'm glad you're not our players. So we won't have to forfeit. Wuss!

ADVERTISEMENT