ADVERTISEMENT

WKUs Mitchell granted full release

flacat22

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2011
Florida
Still must sit a year...

A 7-foot center, five-star prospect and McDonald’s All American, Robinson left campus last week unannounced and has not returned since. Tuesday, WKU granted him a release from his scholarship so that he may pursue other opportunities.

Stansbury had suspended the freshman Monday for missing practice.

"Mitchell is a good kid, but the team will always be more important than one individual player," Stansbury said in a statement Monday. "He needs to understand the value of structure and accountability in his life, and his return will be dependent upon requirements that will be handled internally. My focus is on our team, and I’m excited about this group as we prepare for next week’s trip to Costa Rica.”

Robinson enrolled at Western Kentucky, received financial aid in the form of an athletic scholarship and participated in team practices that count toward the 2017-18. Therefore, should Robinson transfer to another Division I program, he would have to sit out this season by rule.

Western Kentucky is not blocking Robinson from attending the school of his choosing should he transfer.

Robinson could also opt to play professional basketball outside of the United States.

http://www.wbko.com/content/sports/WKU-freshman-Mitchell-Robinson-granted-release-437951333.html

hqdefault.jpg

Been hearing its Stansbury and not the kid. Several got mad at coach when he pulled a scholly from a player recently. Heard that's one of the reasons why Mitchells godfather left. Once he was gone you knew Mitchell would follow. Some unrest in Stansbury's camp.

Really seems like a fair resolution. Kids shouldn't have to go where they don't want to no matter what the reason.
If he goes to school back home and makes some BS statement about being "homesick" and wanting to be where family can watch him play and sits out his year, then so be it.
If he transfers to a blue blood and starts making noise about wanting to play right away, then hopefully the NCAA looks very closely.

LSU seems to think they have a chance with him although he'd apparently have to sit a year unless the NCAA gives a waiver. He's from Louisiana.

Reactions: ReturnOfOakboy
How long before Cal offers him a spot to come to UK as a practice player as he prepares for the NBA draft?

Coaches should have to sit out a year if they leave early.

Eh, I'm not on that train. This whole idea is repeated because it sounds good in fairness. Well life isn't fair, and teams must have coaches, and delaying a coaching move wouldn't do anyone justice and there's no upside to it.

Players need some kind of deterrent from transferring or it will become a much bigger issue than it already is. Not to mention you'd have a lot of dirty tactics by coaches actively poaching other programs, especially underrated players at smaller programs. It would turn the system into a type of anarchy.

I hate the Ncaa as much as anyone, but some of these rules are in place for protective measures and solid reasons.

Eh, I'm not on that train. This whole idea is repeated because it sounds good in fairness. Well life isn't fair, and teams must have coaches, and delaying a coaching move wouldn't do anyone justice and there's no upside to it.

Players need some kind of deterrent from transferring or it will become a much bigger issue than it already is. Not to mention you'd have a lot of dirty tactics by coaches actively poaching other programs, especially underrated players at smaller programs. It would turn the system into a type of anarchy.

I hate the Ncaa as much as anyone, but some of these rules are in place for protective measures and solid reasons.
So since life isn't fair then is it ok to cheat like unc ?

Reactions: TM2013

I agree with this. I know people will debate this topic over and over again, but the one big difference here is that players are amateur and the coaches are professional. You can't make a professional sit out a year but amateurs, you can.

ADVERTISEMENT