ADVERTISEMENT

With the 10 out 11 defensive starters back, offensively with Terry and Benny Uk will do what?

If you read Grouchy and the trolls posts 6 will be a lucky stretch, FAR the coach.

If you are an optimist like me, 7 for a minimum, more very possible, schedule be damned, we are going to be MUCH better also.

Last edited:
I think Vegas will say 6-6.5 wins. I will predict 6 right now but reserve the right to go up to 7 before Fall. But the do have potential for 8-9. It’s all on the defense and QB.

If you read Grouchy and the trolls posts 6 will be a lucky stretch, FAR the coach.

If you are an optimist like me, 7 for a minimum, more very possible, schedule be damned, we are going to be MUCH better also.
I don't see it. We have no idea what our QB situation will be like. We're getting out D back but will it be much improved? It needs to be. The other SEC teams are rapidly improving, the schedule is rough. I have us at 7-5 as an upper limit.

I'm not solid on records for next season just to early.
But one observation for next season, UK will filed a team with many more jr's and seniors than I have seen in many years. More depth than many past seasons.
Solid O-Line with depth coming back.
Combined with the best back in the SEC and best TE in the SEC
10 -11 Defensive starters back with some experienced depth.
There are several reasons to think 2018 will be a great season.

Since most everyone that could return did we should be better next season.I wish Koback had stayed,I'm glad Barker moved on.We saw a great effort in the bowl game,if we could match that effort game in and game out 7 should be likely and 8 a reasonable expectation.

The schedule is tough so ill put 6-6 as the floor and 9-3 as the ceiling if the stars align but that doesnt tend to happen for us. I see the defense making a significant jump. Only loosing Love plus adding another defensive assistant will help. I look for Pascal and Bohana to continue to improve. I am excited to see some of the good freshman on defense who redshirted- Wright, Nesbit, Corker, etc. I see 5 wins, 2 losses & 4 toss up games. @ UF with a new coach, @ Mizzou with Locke back, @ UT with a new coach & @ UofL with a new QB. I could see UK going 1-3 in those or 3-1.

CMU- Win
@ UF- ???
Murray State- Win
USC- Win
@ A&M- Loss
Vandy- Win
@ Mizzou- ???
UGA- Loss
@ UT- ???
Middle Tenn- Win
@ Louisville- ???

The last 2 years we've been 7-6 (4-4), so I think that's reasonable to expect.

Hopefully the team will improve, regardless of record, hopefully they continue the bowl streak (no matter which bowl it is still positive) and have a great recruiting class.

It's way to early for a prediction on next season, a lot of things can happen between now and then and not just with our team. Other teams could lose players to season ending injuries during spring/summer/fall practices and workouts so who knows for sure exactly what each team will look like heading into the end of August/September. I'll wait till around the end of July first of August to make my predictions, but I do like all the experience we have return at key positions.

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
I think the Gamecocks may be a tougher out for us this year than in years past. They have a heck of a QB and appear to be improving across the board. The good thing is we have them at home, but I am not counting them as a sure W.
I see:
-Four solid Ws (Vandy, CMU, Murray, MTSU).
-Five "maybes" (UF (we get the new coach & system early in the season), USC, Mizzou (looked a lot better late in the season this year), UT (hopefully still suffering from Butch's recruiting), UL (their new QB vs our new QB....end of season injuries may be the key))
-One highly unlikely (@ aTm--really tough place to play)
-One "No" (UGA)

It's a tough schedule with lots of new HC-unknowns for sure. I think we get 6 wins with a potential for a couple more if we actually improve (develop) returning talent into better on the field play.

GBB!

To me it just comes down to whether or not we get a good passer at QB. If we start Wilson and he turns out to be Smitty v2.0 then I don't think our offense is going to change much from last year.

To me it just comes down to whether or not we get a good passer at QB. If we start Wilson and he turns out to be Smitty v2.0 then I don't think our offense is going to change much from last year.

While I can't say for certain that Wilson's arm is better than SJ, I feel very confident that he's a more dangerous runner and user of the RPO system.

....I also don't know about Wilson's intangibles. Something SJ excelled at.

1. Have to wait until we can see Hoak/Wilson/Clark in spring to really get a feel. All of them are a total unknown as best we can tell.
2. I'm struggling to see how is schedule is way harder...I think its harder than last year but I don't see it being way harder. Are we sure UL, USC (at home), UT to be better in 2018? MSU could drop off a good bit without Mullen/Grantham. Texas AM vs. Ole Miss...they were pretty even last year and is a coaching change going to help Texas AM. UF and Mizzou I think will be for sure tougher games and I'm hoping the rest even out.

My gut goes with 5-7 floor and 8-4 ceiling with 7-6 wins more likely.

The Cats will certainly have a ton of "returning experience" next year. FWIW, I am generally of the opinion that, with the exception of the QB position, returning "experience" is not as important as returning "performance".

That is to say that returning experience (especially with upperclassmen) does not necessarily make things better than what was shown in the previous year(s). Those who are suggesting a 6 or 7 win regular season in 2018 are essentially saying the same thing.

In 2016 UK returned 14 starters (per Phil Steele yearbook) from a team that went 5-6. The 2016 team went 7-6 and finished the year ranked ranked #56 in offense (424 YPG) and #88 in defense (450 YPG Allowed).

In 2017 UK returned 17 starters (Steele) from that 2016 team and again went 7-6 finishing the year ranked #106 in offense (343 YPG) and #93 in defense (436 YPG Allowed).

Per Sagarin, SOS was about the same each year (#61 last year; #46 in 2016). The difference here is almost certainly due to the rotational appearance of AL in 2016. The 2015 SOS was #57.

I think a big factor in 2018 W/L record might be the result of playing 4 SEC teams with new staffs (MSU, FL, TN and aTm). I don't know "who is left" but at least 3 (edit) of those teams have enjoyed a significant recruiting ranking over UK the past 4 years.

Regardless, I'll wait until spring to even remotely think about what UK will do in 2018.

Peace

Last edited:
1. Have to wait until we can see Hoak/Wilson/Clark in spring to really get a feel. All of them are a total unknown as best we can tell.
2. I'm struggling to see how is schedule is way harder...I think its harder than last year but I don't see it being way harder. Are we sure UL, USC (at home), UT to be better in 2018? MSU could drop off a good bit without Mullen/Grantham. Texas AM vs. Ole Miss...they were pretty even last year and is a coaching change going to help Texas AM. UF and Mizzou I think will be for sure tougher games and I'm hoping the rest even out.

My gut goes with 5-7 floor and 8-4 ceiling with 7-6 wins more likely.

I agree about the schedule. We're facing 4 brand new coaches. Granted 2 of them are proven products in Mullen and Fisher......but there's still gonna be adjustment periods. I would rather face Mullen with a first yr Florida roster early in the season as he tries to get his feet under him than to face him at MSU with Fitz and a roster full of returning talent. (this is only in regards to next yr.....I'm not stupid.....)

The other coaches at UT and MSU could be absolute flops......or they could be home run hires.

Returning defensive starters means zilch....they got torched the second half of the season and never really improved throughout. Same coaching....same results likely. Experience doesn't always equate to quality. A green QB with the same inept OC as well.

5 to 6 wins given the schedule.

Reactions: RonEJones
As of this second, bowl eligible...6 wins, will be better than this years record.
Now......if this crew responds with the same focus and intensity it showed in the bowl and has all it's horses healthy and gets a boost from the redshirts and some frosh...
8 is not out of reason.
Lotta ifs, but it can happen.

I'm not solid on records for next season just to early.
But one observation for next season, UK will filed a team with many more jr's and seniors than I have seen in many years. More depth than many past seasons.
Solid O-Line with depth coming back.
Combined with the best back in the SEC and best TE in the SEC
10 -11 Defensive starters back with some experienced depth.
There are several reasons to think 2018 will be a great season.

^^^Why not!^^^ Last year I said 7 or 8 was doable. What the heck, 2018 8 or 9 is doable!

Last edited:

Seriously, our offense must change. Why are we wasting scholarships on receivers if there wont be serious change. Benny will get his yards and that will help open it up for new QB. IMHO

Returning defensive starters means zilch....they got torched the second half of the season and never really improved throughout. Same coaching....same results likely. Experience doesn't always equate to quality. A green QB with the same inept OC as well.

5 to 6 wins given the schedule.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but agreed that returning a bunch of starters from one of the worst defenses in the country/UK history (97th nationally in defensive efficiency) isn't necessary a good thing.

Mizzou AND Scar passed us by. Lock is coming back and we didnt face Scar healthy, by end of the year both teams went on a tear while we got worse.

I see 4 wins. I will say both Scar and Mizzou beat us and no way we beat Miss st or UGA. We also lose to UT and UF, Texas A & M beats us. UL beats us. I looked earlier and its not good. But every year we start the ol 9-3 mythical record BS and by end of the year, everyone is sick of Stoops and calling for his and others Jobs. Then rinse repeat every year. Its the very definition of INSANITY.

Reactions: RonEJones
Mizzou AND Scar passed us by. Lock is coming back and we didnt face Scar healthy, by end of the year both teams went on a tear while we got worse.
We faced them with Deebo Samuel and beat them handily....and the same stuff was said last year that they passed us by. Until this soundly beat us...I don't see how USC has passed us by.

Mizzou on the road with Locke back to me is hard one I'll concede. UT is a mess and lost some more guys..I don't chalk that up at all. Nobody saw us beating UL two years ago and they just lost a kid who won games basically on his own for two years. I'm not chalking that up to a Loss either.

Reactions: THE_OAK
Impossible to make any predictions right now. I don't even know what we have yet, much less our opponents. On paper we should take a major step forward on defense, have the nucleus of a quality Oline back but with more depth. enough skill players to execute a good offense. big "?" right now on the QB spot and kicker.
A lot of "ifs" have to be answered before we can get anywhere IMO.

We faced them with Deebo Samuel and beat them handily....and the same stuff was said last year that they passed us by. Until this soundly beat us...I don't see how USC has passed us by.

Mizzou on the road with Locke back to me is hard one I'll concede. UT is a mess and lost some more guys..I don't chalk that up at all. Nobody saw us beating UL two years ago and they just lost a kid who won games basically on his own for two years. I'm not chalking that up to a Loss either.
i never heard Scar passed us by two years ago. But it is true that both Scar and Mizzou excelled as the season went on, we got worse. Realistically we wont beat UT in Knoxville. The only game i will say is possible is UL. Not likely because its at pizza pit but in true rivalry games anything can happen. Its not likely odds wise just because we beat a historically better team one time, now we can just mark an X.

We have a lil streak going against Scar, they are way to good for us to let that keep stretching. In fact, the more we add on to that win streak the greater the odds they break it UNLESS we are are a far supirior team, they are actually more talented recruiting class wise.

Ok will somebody save this thread so when everybody’s bitchin’ and moanin’ and wanting the whole athletic department canned because we’re sitting at 7 wins but lost 2 games we shoulda won or something. I want everybody to look back on this thread and remember we’re sitting right where a lot of fans predicted us to be.

Reactions: THE_OAK
Ok will somebody save this thread so when everybody’s bitchin’ and moanin’ and wanting the whole athletic department canned because we’re sitting at 7 wins but lost 2 games we shoulda won or something. I want everybody to look back on this thread and remember we’re sitting right where a lot of fans predicted us to be.

Who cares about the prediction of winning 6 or 7 games? I want to know why we are settling for such poor results when we are returning so many starters and have redshirts sitting in waiting? Just make it to a bowl-win or lose and we don’t care. No wonder we are the cellar of SEC football.

Reactions: gojvc and RonEJones
ADVERTISEMENT