ADVERTISEMENT

WISEMAN chose Memphis

What's funny is Memphis fans thinking they got revenge for UK taking Cal, we got a championship and they got one player who may or may not pan out. The more crap being said about Cal slipping in recruiting is bound to piss him off because it's pissing me off and I don't even have a dog in the fight. Keep rubbing it in Memphis morons.

I find it funnier that they actually believe they are a powerhouse program.

Cal’s lost his fastball in recruiting and coaching. Doesn’t seem to have that same edge missing out on number one recruits and what looks like top five recruits for the fourth straight year. Seems like he’s gotten fat and happy. He’s more and more concerned about politics, Steeler’s games, peripheral stuff. He’s still really good, but he’s lost his fastball, and it doesn’t seem to bother him a ton after he got his one title and Hall of Fame induction. He’s gotten everything he wanted. He’s not a Saban or Coach K that’s going to drive himself crazy chasing a title.
Man has come in 1st or 2nd in every single season he has been at Uk in recruiting. Yet he has lost his edge . Wow

Congrats to Memphis and will be interesting to see what they do with it. You get your chance to prove it, and this is it. They either knock it out the park or they flop and fade back to being.....well what Memphis has been.

Jalen Green will the next player they land with ties to Sam Mitchell.

Biggest take UK related--Memphis has a better recruiting staff then Kentucky right now and Cal needs to make some changes or nothing will change.

What are you hearing on Hurt? We have any shot?

If Wiseman wants to play for Penny at Memphis more power to him, might have cost himself millions in the process, probably wont get pushed to be great, we will see.

How surprising it is .... to play for a coach you already won a title with , to play for the school that is in your backyard.... It's one more year of being around his family and friends before he goes to the NBA and makes millions. If I was James Wiseman, I would have made the same choice. Good luck JW... Vernon Carey... come on down... your the next contestant on the Rupp rafters board.

How surprising it is .... to play for a coach you already won a title with , to play for the school that is in your backyard.... It's one more year of being around his family and friends before he goes to the NBA and makes millions. If I was James Wiseman, I would have made the same choice. Good luck JW... Vernon Carey... come on down... your the next contestant on the Rupp rafters board.

Memphis still is essentially the poo hole of America.

Not even James Wiseman can fix that. Your city is garbage. Have fun.

Shocked. So shocked.

Kid wanted to go play for his AAU coach. It’s kind of like when you apply for a job you are more than qualified for and the. The boss’s nephew or 3rd Cousin needs a job. Guess what? You’re out of luck.

Doesn’t mean you did anything wrong or don’t deserve the position. Politics got in the way. Here hometown politics and who you know got in UK’s way. Kid wants to be hometown hero and by God for one year Memphis will fill basketball seats. After that? Good luck.

Memphis is not his hometown, Nashville is. He just went to Memphis to play for Penny.

Wiseman could have pulled a Zion and his Daddy and strung Cal along until after the season ended and into the late Spring or Summer. (With K and Caples blessing.)(Then Cal really has no chance in recruiting someone else.) Wiseman committed to his school. He gone....NOW Cal has time to work his magic on someone else. I don't wish Wiseman good or bad but the kid and his family made their decision. No issues to me....Get stepping Cal...You can do it...

All of us down here in Tn knew Wiseman to Memphis when Penny was announced as their head coach.

Cal slow playing other bigs is coming back as a swift kick to the nuts as they go elsewhere.

All you sec fans are the same, now that he chooses to not go play for a snake now all a sudden you don't want em, not only are y'all in a rapid decline but soon the walls will close in on yalls "honest" coach that sleeps so well at night.... lol wtf ever

Great, now we have to start dealing with Memphis BB fans. That's just great :eek: just like dealing with those clowns in Louisville I suppose...fun times ahead for us I guess.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
All you sec fans are the same, now that he chooses to not go play for a snake now all a sudden you don't want em, not only are y'all in a rapid decline but soon the walls will close in on yalls "honest" coach that sleeps so well at night.... lol wtf ever

Enjoy your 2-3 years of slight relevance in college bball. MAYBE one elite 8 if you are lucky before penny runs out of players he has coached in AAU. You would take back Cal in a second ...

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Enjoy your 2-3 years of slight relevance in college bball. MAYBE one elite 8 if you are lucky before penny runs out of players he has coached in AAU. You would take back Cal in a second ...
Easy ELC, be careful throwing logic around...some people don't get it.
MU fans (Is MU right or is it UM? I really don't know and I'm not going to look it up) anyway, MU/UM fans are probably really excited, so let them have their fun, but we know they're still MU or UM, which ever...just sayin'. Go WILDCATS!

ESPN Reporter " Who knows your decision?"

JW: "The entire city of Memphis"

Why tf did we even waste recruiting resources on this kid. It was obvious within days/weeks of penny hiring. Guess Joel didn't get that "family" treatment some on here claim. Im guessing that family circle knew memphis was the winner in the recruitment from day one of penny's hire, yet his parents continued to say it was an open race. So much for those Joel grassroots everyone talked about

Last edited:

His family turned out to be real jerks actually. They reach out numerous times to Kentucky media here just recently to tell them that Memphis was not the leader; all the while knowing they were leading by a mile. Why do that? Just to be jerks in my opinion.

It’s playing the PR game. mKg did something similar with media in philly for Nova .. is MKG a jerk?

Lol “decline.” Our decline is better than Memphis at its peak. Wiseman and Mempiss won’t do shit next year and everyone outside your trash city knows it.

I kinda feel bad for you and your situation. Penny fails and Memphis continues to be irrelevant. He succeeds and UK or some other real school hires him away when their current coach leaves. Either way you’re taking a fat L in the long run.:joy:

The one advantage your fanbase will have is it won’t hurt quite as bad as it would most schools since y’all are used to disappointment.

I am learning real fast not to believe anything that comes out of anybody's mouth until the kid himself says the name of the school he is going to play for. Even then, the kid can decommit. So until he actually signs on the dotted line would be better. I am tired of getting strung along by baketball know-it-alls, parents and even the kids themselves. I can't help but get drawn in to all of the hype around recruits, but that is changing. I just expect to not believe what they say until it's a done deal. That way I will be surprised.

GO CATS!!

Why else would a school fire a hall of fame coach and replace him with an aau coach?

Wouldn't surprise me if Wiseman and penny were a package deal.

On justus: how many times has he whiffed while feeling we were in great shape? Obviously can't read a situation at all. Keep hearing what a great young coach he is. May be. But not bearing much fruit recruiting wise.

Barbee needs gone yesterday. The next good thing he does will be the first.

Idc about wiseman being a jerk. I care about this Joel Justise is family line and was so far in on the wiseman recruitment line a lot keep throwing around, obviously he wasnt that close to the recruitment or they'd at least give him the heads up

No one respects Justus. He’s a stat guy cal promoted to assistant .... not to mention a few posters have said Justus burned bridges this past year on the recruiting trail being a hot head. Maybe it’s true

Who would you respect more being the lead recruiter. ?? Justus or Mike Miller who just got out of the NBA? Then that leads to penny and miller wanting to send a message to recruits and kids that Memphis punked UK and create a cool factor... so the kid is gonna do what the guy he respects the most wants

No one respects Justus. He’s a stat guy cal promoted to assistant .... not to mention a few posters have said Justus burned bridges this past year on the recruiting trail being a hot head. Maybe it’s true

Who would you respect more being the lead recruiter. ?? Justus or Mike Miller who just got out of the NBA?
Ill take T-Mac and Antigua please

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I don't think Joel deserves a bad wrap on this one in particular. Jesus Christ could of been on staff and as soon as Penny was hired it was over. It's actually very reminiscent in particular ways with Romeo Langford's recruitment in terms of Calipari and K in the Romeo recruitment wanting him to play for a different AAU team besides his father's and leave his public high school to go to a prep school somewhere to get away from negative influences in their eyes. In the same way Cal really pushed for James to get out of Memphis and go to Findlay Prep and not play for the Bluff City Legends.

Kenny is no longer the great on the road guy he used to be and nobody will ever be able to go into a kid's home and talk about being an immigrant, being shot in a drive by, surviving it all, and standing before you being the most likable guy in the room and selling ice to Eskimos like Orlando.

Joel is the only guy consistently on the road making ins for UK. Cal should be ashamed of what he's let happen with Barbee. Kenny gets a pass because he's clearly the best or one of the best big men coaches in the country and works wonders with kids once they're on campus. But Barbee, guy just keeps getting fatter literally and doing less and less while staying under the protection of friend and mentor.

Reactions: CROCAT
I don't think Joel deserves a bad wrap on this one in particular. Jesus Christ could of been on staff and as soon as Penny was hired it was over. It's actually very reminiscent in particular ways with Romeo Langford's recruitment in terms of Calipari and K in the Romeo recruitment wanting him to play for a different AAU team besides his father's and leave his public high school to go to a prep school somewhere to get away from negative influences in their eyes. In the same way Cal really pushed for James to get out of Memphis and go to Findlay Prep and not play for the Bluff City Legends.

Kenny is no longer the great on the road guy he used to be and nobody will ever be able to go into a kid's home and talk about being an immigrant, being shot in a drive by, surviving it all, and standing before you being the most likable guy in the room and selling ice to Eskimos like Orlando.

Joel is the only guy consistently on the road making ins for UK. Cal should be ashamed of what he's let happen with Barbee. Kenny gets a pass because he's clearly the best or one of the best big men coaches in the country and works wonders with kids once they're on campus. But Barbee, guy just keeps getting fatter literally and doing less and less while staying under the protection of friend and mentor.
Joel has out performed barbee, but both have had their recruiting woes. I'm just done with the "Joel is our best recruiter" and "Joel is family to wiseman" lines. If Joel is our best recruiter we have big problems. Barbee has been dead weight dragging since he was hired. Never thought I'd say this but i miss slice

Reactions: CROCAT
They played us like a fiddle, nothing new. Been happening the last few years. Cal is the GOAT recruiter, unfortunately he is surrounded with a D+ level staff and it shows. Assistant coaches are crucial for good recruiting, they do the hard work, not head coaches. We are the # 2 recruiting program, but at this point, are we closer to #1 which is Dook and K or #3 Bill Self? I'd say the latter...Cal is loyal to a fault, so don't expect any changes to be made.

Joel has out performed barbee, but both have had their recruiting woes. I'm just done with the "Joel is our best recruiter" and "Joel is family to wiseman" lines. If Joel is our best recruiter we have big problems. Barbee has been dead weight dragging since he was hired. Never thought I'd say this but i miss slice
I agree with you but sadly Joel is our best recruiter and he relates to kids better currently than any of the other guys on the staff. I don't want to seem like I'm just here taking up for Joel but he was tight with the family but he has known for months it was over I can assure you that, for PR reasons UK can't or won't come out with that kind of stuff. The staff also feels like they are going to miss on all 5 or 6 of their top targets this year which is hard to stomach and I hope and pray that Wiseman deciding early may lead to us being able to pry Carey and Stewart away from other schools but it's a major uphill battle. We need Orlando back and we need another young guy if Joel and Cal can't start clicking.

I didnt care if Wiseman came or not. Read my posts from long ago. On to the next. Pretty sure Vernon Carey now sees an opportunity as we need bigs...

ADVERTISEMENT