ADVERTISEMENT

WISEMAN chose Memphis

There we go. What we’ve known for months is now official. If you didn’t move on then, do it now and don’t trash the kid. Trashing recruits is absolutely part of the reason some of these kids go elsewhere.

Absolutely!! Some of our ignorant fans don't think that we effect the program with our words but we do. It may not be the deciding factor but if you dont think recruits and their families look into the forums/sites such as this, you're crazy as hell. I know I would if I were in their shoes. I would want to know how my child is going to be treated while they're in the program. To say that some fans are spoiled and embarrassing is the understatement of the year. It's really sad the way some of our "fans" are so quick to turn on kids and the coach. So fast to build them up and even faster to tear them down. Its definitely taken into consideration by the families of these recruits.

It all hinges on what Penny does with this team.

Memphis rolled the dice when they hired Penny to secure Wiseman. It very well could pay dividends, even by more top recruits signing on this year. Memphis fans are claiming they are in good position with Hurt as well.

We shall see.

Congrats to Memphis and will be interesting to see what they do with it. You get your chance to prove it, and this is it. They either knock it out the park or they flop and fade back to being.....well what Memphis has been.

Jalen Green will the next player they land with ties to Sam Mitchell.

Biggest take UK related--Memphis has a better recruiting staff then Kentucky right now and Cal needs to make some changes or nothing will change.

Because if the kid waited until April, we’d be scrambling to find someone to replace his spot. Now we have time to find another player to go after. So it’s pretty clear why it’s better that it happened now rather than later.

This makes no sense. Cal has known for awhile JW was gone whether he announced now or never announced.

I can't help but think that he let Momma persuade him to stay home, instead of following his heart to play for Cal. He will easily make the league, but a year from now, he will realize that he just lost a lot of money with the decision he made today. When he does, he can thank Mom, and Penny.

Reactions: BBUK
Cal’s lost his fastball in recruiting and coaching. Doesn’t seem to have that same edge missing out on number one recruits and what looks like top five recruits for the fourth straight year. Seems like he’s gotten fat and happy. He’s more and more concerned about politics, Steeler’s games, peripheral stuff. He’s still really good, but he’s lost his fastball, and it doesn’t seem to bother him a ton after he got his one title and Hall of Fame induction. He’s gotten everything he wanted. He’s not a Saban or Coach K that’s going to drive himself crazy chasing a title.

This post was a bit misguided. “More concerned about being fat, politics and Steelers games ?” Lol

Justice and Barbee already need to be packing. They bring absolutely nothing to the table. 2 elite recruiters need to be brought in. Our offense needs a touch up. These are all things that need to happen yesterday.

And Tubby Smith, you had 1 job. His name will no longer be hanging from the rafters after this last incident. Jk.... sorta.
What ties did Tubby have to wiseman?
If you're blaming this on Tony Barbee, maybe just don't post.

Justus was the point man on this one, and he did a tremendous job. He did exactly what he was brought in to do: identify kids early and build relationships with them before Duke/Team USA get their claws in.

He did that. Wiseman and his mom referred to him like family, and it's why he was as much of a sure thing to Kentucky as you get in recruiting.

Until Memphis hired Penny. No one was beating that. You might as well blame Barbee for missing on Michael Porter Jr.
Barbee Sucks. Justus just got shit on pretty hard for "family". I haven't seen justus bring any top recruits in recently, its put up or shut up time. If he's so good he should be able to pull Carey or Stewart the way Cal flipped Knox. Get top recruits or gtfo at this point.
Biggest take UK related--Memphis has a better recruiting staff then Kentucky right now and Cal needs to make some changes or nothing will change.
This^

We need to fire barbee and get T-Mac or Jalen Rose as our lead recruiter.

I can't help but think that he let Momma persuade him to stay home, instead of following his heart to play for Cal. He will easily make the league, but a year from now, he will realize that he just lost a lot of money with the decision he made today. When he does, he can thank Mom, and Penny.

And some will fight you about that on this site Sir. It amazes that any potential NBA player would go with anyone but Cal if given an offer. Never ceases to amaze me. Talk about improving your odds of success.

Reactions: JC43
And some will fight you about that on this site Sir. It amazes that any potential NBA player would go with anyone but Cal if given an offer. Never ceases to amaze me. Talk about improving your odds of success.

I wouldn't fight about it, but I don't know how anyone could argue that Cal wouldn't improve his draft position. I mean we have had several kids who nobody on this board thought would make the league, and they are on rosters, doing well. Others have been drafted way ahead of where we thought they would go. It is because Cal gets these kids ready. Whether it is on the floor, managing their money, selecting agents, or just how to handle themselves in interviews, Cal shows them how to be a professional. Don't think that the GM's don't take notice. That is why it was a bad business decision for Wiseman to stay home and play for Penny. Like I said, he will easily make the league. That was never a question. The issue was how ready would he be, and how high would he go? The answer is that he will not be as ready, and not go as high as he would have under Cal and at UK.

Reactions: awf and BBUK
I wouldn't fight about it, but I don't know how anyone could argue that Cal wouldn't improve his draft position. I mean we have had several kids who nobody on this board thought would make the league, and they are on rosters, doing well. Others have been drafted way ahead of where we thought they would go. It is because Cal gets these kids ready. Whether it is on the floor, managing their money, selecting agents, or just how to handle themselves in interviews, Cal shows them how to be a professional. Don't think that the GM's don't take notice. That is why it was a bad business decision for Wiseman to stay home and play for Penny. Like I said, he will easily make the league. That was never a question. The issue was how ready would he be, and how high would he go? The answer is that he will not be as ready, and not go as high as he would have under Cal and at UK.

Totally agree, no question. It is puzzling to state the least. If there was a sure path to the league Cal is about as close as you get AND more money to boot as you are much more prepared to stick.

If Tubby hadn't been a complete and total failure, he likely could have remained the coach at Memphis a few more years. Wiseman wasn’t going to Memphis to play for Tubby.

Didn't you hear? Some want Tubby back at UK... yeah it seems that bad for some of these weirdo's...

Reactions: awf
I just want to point out that this really wasn't hard to see coming. Sometimes posters, even the smartest ones here, have a tendency to look for hard facts and reference statistics. "We can't lose Wiseman because of X Y, and Z!". But sometimes you have to look at the intangibles, where does this "feel" like it's going?

You could see this coming months ago. Everything pointed to it.

He's focused on the NBA. He'll have fun living close to home until he becomes a millionaire.

Most one-and-dones don't give a damn about winning championships in their brief college stay.

Can you back that up with facts? Stats? Interviews? Anything? Or you just guessing, Factchecker?

Wiseman to Memphis maybe what Monster Mash did for UK...good luck to him. We will see if affects his draft spot in a couple.

I just want to point out that this really wasn't hard to see coming. Sometimes posters, even the smartest ones here, have a tendency to look for hard facts and reference statistics. "We can't lose Wiseman because of X Y, and Z!". But sometimes you have to look at the intangibles, where does this "feel" like it's going?

You could see this coming months ago. Everything pointed to it.
Yep, this was a foregone conclusion, given the relationships in play. So it's not the right recruiting battle on which to make conclusions about whether Cal has lost something, or that his staff needs shaking up. OTOH, agree with the Jones tweet above: this model depends on getting the superstar kids. It's too much to ask to take 18 year old kids and try to build them into a national title team if they are not uber talented. Given that, Cal perhaps need to adjust the model, or adjust the recruiting.....

Reactions: mapcatfan

This is true.
I think the change to be made is not greater pursuit of the ultra-elites, but having these “very good” recruits stay beyond a single season.
The issue is, cal and his reputation creates an OAD expectation, whether speaking with a kid ranked #30 or #3. That’s where an adjustment needs to be made.
The kids on the current roster and those incoming a perfectly capable of competing for a title. But not right away.
And this change in mentality needs to include the fans, who should not look at an incoming group of freshmen as world beaters, only to become totally disillusioned when they turn out to be —- freshmen.

IMO, Wiseman is taking the easy way out in college by deciding to hang out with his high school buddies and his high school coach. There is no way he will get the coaching and development at Memphis that he would at UK nor will he have to work as hard at his game- probably what he wants anyway since he is a likely lottery pick regardless on potential alone.

In reality, anybody who picks Memphis over UK probably doesn’t have the mindset to be a UK player anyway. I predict he will be a Ben Simmons type player in college who makes a nice personal splash but whose team doesn’t really accomplish anything.

Our assistant coaches cannot recruit with the big boys..
I thought Cal was the rec
Absolutely!! Some of our ignorant fans don't think that we effect the program with our words but we do. It may not be the deciding factor but if you dont think recruits and their families look into the forums/sites such as this, you're crazy as hell. I know I would if I were in their shoes. I would want to know how my child is going to be treated while they're in the program. To say that some fans are spoiled and embarrassing is the understatement of the year. It's really sad the way some of our "fans" are so quick to turn on kids and the coach. So fast to build them up and even faster to tear them down. Its definitely taken into consideration by the families of these recruits.
Just stop with this nonsense.

If recruits are getting their feelings hurt by a few message board degenerates, then they’re not tough enough to play college ball anyway.

Quit taking yourself so seriously. Jesus Christ, has everyone turned into a pussy?

I thought Cal was the rec

Just stop with this nonsense.

If recruits are getting their feelings hurt by a few message board degenerates, then they’re not tough enough to play college ball anyway.

Quit taking yourself so seriously. Jesus Christ, has everyone turned into a pussy?

Oh geez, gimme a break with the tough guy approach for god's sake. Believe what you want but when ole mommy see a bunch of grown men acting like spoiled brats turn on their child, it doesnt necessarily go in the plus column and kids tend to listen to their mothers, as we've seen in the past. There is a reason why coaches try to sway the parents as well as the child.

Last edited:
One thing is certain, if Carey and Stewart both go elsewhere, there must be a coaching sacrifice for the mammoth transgression has been the fall recruiting cycle.

Maintaining the status quo at this point is like Custer choosing to hold his ground on what would become his last military position.

If we rest at this point, we perish.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
What's funny is Memphis fans thinking they got revenge for UK taking Cal, we got a championship and they got one player who may or may not pan out. The more crap being said about Cal slipping in recruiting is bound to piss him off because it's pissing me off and I don't even have a dog in the fight. Keep rubbing it in Memphis morons.

Reactions: Roe07
One thing is certain, if Carey and Stewart both go elsewhere, there must be a coaching sacrifice for the mammoth transgression has been the fall recruiting cycle.

Maintaining the status quo at this point is like Custer choosing to hold his ground on what would become his last military position.

If we rest at this point, we perish.

Its all about evolving... you stand still too long and you'll get shot down. Strangely Cal evolved perfectly over a decade ago when he saw the trends of basketball and went to the DDMO........ will he evolve again or did he become too stubborn in his old age?? time will tell.

Myself I agree... we need to get some new blood into the staff....... Walk up into nike and ask who they think would land the super elite again....... and then pay that man whatever he wants to be our next assistant coach. I say that because whatever person they have ties with .... will be able to get the Nike reps to push those super elites back to us and use those recruiting loop holes to do so.

It's just happened

giphy.gif

Reactions: crpoore
Cal’s lost his fastball in recruiting and coaching. Doesn’t seem to have that same edge missing out on number one recruits and what looks like top five recruits for the fourth straight year. Seems like he’s gotten fat and happy. He’s more and more concerned about politics, Steeler’s games, peripheral stuff. He’s still really good, but he’s lost his fastball, and it doesn’t seem to bother him a ton after he got his one title and Hall of Fame induction. He’s gotten everything he wanted. He’s not a Saban or Coach K that’s going to drive himself crazy chasing a title.

I do not want to believe a single word of this post but I cannot deny that what you've said doesn't have merit. Saban is an animal. That man stays hungry! He never rests on his laurels and that alone makes me fear facing him even if he had lesser talent.

Writing has been on the wall for along time. I have been over this kid for about as long. All his moms comments, Oh Joel, he so great BS. People saying he always says I'm going to play for UK. It took 1 coach with zero exp. in a place your not even really from to change all that. Honestly I'm not saying this because we missed on him I have said it before, I don't think he is that dom player. Really good of course, but top 5 not sure. I like Carey a lot more, wish we would have put more time in with him early. We will get our guy and Wiseman will not play in the NCAA tourney like others before him that did similar things.NEXT!

ADVERTISEMENT