ADVERTISEMENT

Will you get MoviePass?

Rupp'sRunt

All-American
Apr 19, 2008
It's 9.99 a month and you can see 1 movie a day at participating theatres. XD and 3D will result in an upcharge. I think my Gf and I will be getting these as I love the movies and wait for movies to come out on DVD bc I don't want to pay the price of a ticket. Also don't get charged a weekend price 12$ a movie. Check it out https://www.moviepass.com/

I've looked into it, but I've read people who ordered when the price went down still haven't received their card yet, despite being charged.

Does a free handy in the back row come with it?
DinerPopcorn.jpg

I may never go to a movie theater again, ever. I have a 70 inch TV with stereo sound. My couch is super comfy, snacks and drinks are cheap. I never have to deal with rude strangers. I can pause, back up, slo-mo, or turn on closed captioning for mumbling actors or thick foreign accents. I can watch movies on MY schedule, not someone else's. I do not suffer from a need for instant gratification, so I have no problem waiting a few months to see a good movie.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
I may never go to a movie theater again, ever. I have a 70 inch TV with stereo sound. My couch is super comfy, snacks and drinks are cheap. I never have to deal with rude strangers. I can pause, back up, slo-mo, or turn on closed captioning for mumbling actors or thick foreign accents. I can watch movies on MY schedule, not someone else's. I do not suffer from a need for instant gratification, so I have no problem waiting a few months to see a good movie.

So are you getting it or not?

Yeah, as soon as I see things are sorted out and running smoothly, I'll get it. I'm skeptical though if this business model is going to be sustainable long term.
I think the theatre industry is close to dying and will gladly take subscription based pay plans. It's better than crossing your fingers and hoping good movies come out every year.

I think the theatre industry is close to dying and will gladly take subscription based pay plans. It's better than crossing your fingers and hoping good movies come out every year.

Well, the theaters (and of course the studios) are getting the full ticket price from MoviePass (so I don't get why AMC is making a fuss). I don't see how MoviePass themself makes money at this price point long term since anyone who sees more than one movie a month costs them money. Can they really make a profit off advertising and selling your viewing habit data? I hope they can, because it's a great system for me if it works. I see 1-2 movies a month. With this, I would go 3-4 times a month.

I signed up for it on 8/15 and received my card last week. I went by the theater the day I got it and "bought" a ticket to Dunkirk just to see if it worked, didn't actually even go in and watch it. It worked perfectly. My wife and I went to see "Mother!" Saturday night and I used it. Again, it took less than 15 seconds and worked flawlessly.

Tickets at my local theater are $10, so if I just go to a single movie a month it pays for itself.

Reactions: ukalum01
I signed up for it on 8/15 and received my card last week. I went by the theater the day I got it and "bought" a ticket to Dunkirk just to see if it worked, didn't actually even go in and watch it. It worked perfectly. My wife and I went to see "Mother!" Saturday night and I used it. Again, it took less than 15 seconds and worked flawlessly.

Tickets at my local theater are $10, so if I just go to a single movie a month it pays for itself.

Nice!

Went to the movies the other night on the weekend and never again. Too many damn high school kids. Wtf is up with the all the narrating, clapping, and cheering they all do after every effing scene?!

Yeah yeah get off my lawn too while youre at it you little shizzes.

Reactions: SomeDudeCRO

You're A badass

lol , I get it tho. We have a 60 inch , sound etc as well.
Sometimes it's nice to see movies when they're new/ just came out instead waiting tho. Unless you're a poor

We just got our Moviepass last week and used them to see IT at Regal in Hamburg. You can also use your Regal Rewards to get free concession points when you use your Moviepass to buy your tickets. The things pay for themselves with one movie per month.

The AMC theatres here don't even staff a ticket taker during the day. It also fits in well with my mentality of not contributing to Hollywood.

I've seen:
Dunkirk
It
That movie where the Indian gir gets killed
The movie where they rob charlotte motor speedway
And 2 others I can't remember at no cost in the past month.

Sooo. Negative.

Well aren't you a superior human being!!

I believe the Moviepass business plan is to get enough subscribers so they can raise the price to about $40-50 a month and remain profitable after lots of people cancel.

AMC doesn't like it because even though ticket sales are down they don't think Moviepass will survive. They think that once Moviepass goes under, all of the pass holders will be used to dirt cheap tickets and won't ever return to full retail.

i visit two forums regularly, this movie pass thread is on both of them, but on the other site it's a bump from a month+ ago rather than a new topic. It will be interesting to see how soon they raise the fee. Christmas? or will it last til Next summer?

From my understanding, they're banking on increasing admissions to the point where they can compel theaters to give up a percentage of concessions. Or something like that.

I didn't know about it until this thread popped up. That is some poor marketing right there. I might give it a try after hearing some more positive testimonies. Right now there seems to be a bunch of people with issues getting it to work properly, having to wait a while to receive the card that you pay with, and issues cancelling the service. If they get it running smoothly I might get it.

I might be willing to even go up to $15 a month if it works as advertised. It costs me about that much for 2 matinee movies. The only big negative is I don't think you can see the same movie more than once. So if you liked a movie a lot, you wouldn't get a second viewing of it unfortunately. You might actually run out of things to watch some months and that is when they make their money on you not going.

I don't see what the complaint is with some theaters not wanting to accept it. They will get their money regardless. Besides, they make most of their money on concessions. The more movies we go see, the more concessions they sell. I don't see how they can deny it anyways. If you pay with a debit type card then how can they block it? Unless it doesn't have a Visa/MC logo on it.

tumblr_inline_my9eifaQxi1rgeiy3.jpg

Nope.

Other humans go to movies. Sometimes they bring their spawns. I hate other humans and especially their spawns.

Plus, my home theater allows drinking and doesn't require pants.

Reactions: BlueThruAndThru
So how often you guys go to the movies? Do some of you legit go to like 20 movies a year? Do you not care that at least half will be awful and youre justgoing because you like the experience?

Reactions: BlueRaider22
I probably go to at least 20 movies a year (already seen 14 so far this year). I'm a big movie watching fan. Still about 7 more I want to see. I do the Tuesday discount day to cutback on the cost some. Mostly go see the Marvel/DC movies and Star Wars /Star Trek movies. Plus a few other random big action type movies.

If I got the Movie Pass I would probably go to at least 2 or 3 movies a month and see some marginally interesting ones that I would normally wait until Redbox to see. It's hard to beat seeing a big movie on a giant screen with awesome sound. I'm the type of person that would benefit from the Movie Pass. The people that go like once a month or less are the ones they will make their money back with. I still will wait until it is running smoother before making the jump.

So how often you guys go to the movies? Do some of you legit go to like 20 movies a year? Do you not care that at least half will be awful and youre justgoing because you like the experience?

I go to 20-30 a year. I usually only go to films reviewed at least somewhat favorably. I don't like all, but I consider my success rate well above 50%.

By the way I'm always happy with the movies I see. I get to spend time with my kids doing something we all enjoy. I go to mostly popcorn type movies and don't go to analyze them. I just go to be entertained and see the movies for what they are. You go expecting an Oscar award winning movie and you probably leave disappointed more times than not.

I got a card for both my wife and I. Actually used it last night to see Blade Runner 2049. We've only gone to the movies twice since having the cards but the process was pain free both times.

Like others have said, you use it once a month and you already come out ahead. Not sure how it can sustain without increasing the monthly fee at some point or banking on a percent of concessions but regardless, you can always cancel at any time, no questions asked.

correct. Went to the movies on Saturday afternoon and the matinee price was $12! So I'm already ahead. And btw Regal sucks. Matinee price is $12 but there are nicer Cinemarks across the river in Louisville that charge much less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT