ADVERTISEMENT

Will we see 2-QB Rotation?

I don't want a pre planned 2 QB rotation but I would like to see if the starter is smelling up the place that we try another player.
Agree heartily. We have 3 QBs (including SJ) with skills who we have no reason to keep holstered if we are badly missing the mark. Clark redshirts, of course.

Reactions: Poetax
The point is that a previous poster said he "led" us to a bowl game. That is true to a point but we went to a bowl game because our OL and RB's ran wild not because SJ was a stud. Other than the UL and MSU game you could argue that SJ was the worst player on the field most games, between not being able to complete an intermediate pass to the numerous fumbles. I mean he almost single handedly lost the Vandy game because he was so terrible. I hope he improves big time and leads us to a 10 win season but I'm not expecting it.
1. Johnson was pretty brutal vs. So Carolina and Vandy in games we won...no doubt about that.
2. UK was a total mess in Austin Peay game on the Oline, etc...and we had to pull him off bench in a game we were going to sit him to rest him and things started clicking the second he took the field.
3. Johnson ran for over 100 yards, threw for 170+ more yards and we scored 36 points vs. Tenn...that day our defense decided to allow UT to score on just about every possession unfortunately.
4. Mizzou game we scored 35 points in passing and running and blew them right off the field offensively.
5. UGA had 2nd best defense statistically in SEC and we put up 24 points in that game. Johnson's lone Int bounced off of Badet's shoulder pad on a perfect post route that was an easy TD but ended in an Int.
6. Ga Tech bowl game...Johnson wasn't great but he wasn't awful by any stretch. He completed 19 - 34 for 175 yards and 1TD with 0 Ints and ran for another 50 yards with 1 TD to boot.

I just shake my head when you watch the game and Johnson at QB we moved the ball running with him as a read option threat and his deep passing is spot on. And as the year progressed his intermediate/short passing game improved (the UL, MSU, Mizzou and Ga Tech games he hit on plenty of shorter throws). I honestly don't know what people are watching when they can't see Johnson's impact on our offense last year...it wasn't just the Benny/Boom/OL show last year.

Bad example in my opinion. Tebow and Leak were complete 180s from the other. Tebow had certain packages to come in and run his freshman year and that was virtually it.

Why would you want to rotate 2 qbs who bring the same skills? That doesn't put any extra pressure on the defense, just means you are playing your number 2 guy. Playing 2 have completely different skills forces the defense to prepare for both, taking up practice time,

Reactions: bballcat4
Agree with your scenario.

My thought is: 1) do it more like Saban has done it early in season then land on your primary QB for majority of your snaps. 2) Our QB's have very different strengths. If our other running backs provide quality depth then this is a mute point. Ga seems to always be loaded with running back talent. I'm hoping the Boom and Snell combination last year wasn't an aberration. Kemp was the best 3rd rb we've had in many years. We'll need to stay healthy and have a freshman play quality minutes.

All our qb are pro style guys, Ramsey decided to stay for his last year, he won't start but he gives us an option of RSing Fromm to get a little separation between him and Eason. But we still need a qb in the 18 class and are actually looking to take a Dual threat guy if we can get one. Yes we have been pretty fortunate in the RB department, but alot of that is because Georgia produced so many. Now with about 95% of Georgia HS running some form of spread and airing it out the state isn't producing RBs like it has in the past. But has really picked it up with producing qbs, 5 5* the last 2 cycles and several 4*, plus the state is producing more, or higher ranked WR than before, We went out of state for our 17 RB and are very likely going out of state for the 18 RB, maybe 2, HS football in Ga has undergone a huge change the last 10-15 years,

1. Johnson was pretty brutal vs. So Carolina and Vandy in games we won...no doubt about that.
2. UK was a total mess in Austin Peay game on the Oline, etc...and we had to pull him off bench in a game we were going to sit him to rest him and things started clicking the second he took the field.
3. Johnson ran for over 100 yards, threw for 170+ more yards and we scored 36 points vs. Tenn...that day our defense decided to allow UT to score on just about every possession unfortunately.
4. Mizzou game we scored 35 points in passing and running and blew them right off the field offensively.
5. UGA had 2nd best defense statistically in SEC and we put up 24 points in that game. Johnson's lone Int bounced off of Badet's shoulder pad on a perfect post route that was an easy TD but ended in an Int.
6. Ga Tech bowl game...Johnson wasn't great but he wasn't awful by any stretch. He completed 19 - 34 for 175 yards and 1TD with 0 Ints and ran for another 50 yards with 1 TD to boot.

I just shake my head when you watch the game and Johnson at QB we moved the ball running with him as a read option threat and his deep passing is spot on. And as the year progressed his intermediate/short passing game improved (the UL, MSU, Mizzou and Ga Tech games he hit on plenty of shorter throws). I honestly don't know what people are watching when they can't see Johnson's impact on our offense last year...it wasn't just the Benny/Boom/OL show last year.
'
I don't think Barker starts, its a no win for him. Things go well, that's the expectations, if UK struggles it's the qb's fault, not that it actually is but its the way fans are. I see Johnson as alot like the qb who was at USC 3-4 years ago, Conner Shaw, wasn't the greatest passer, but could pull the ball down and gain first down after first down with his legs to keep drives alive. He was without question the team leader and he also took over the starting job after the season started. Barker may or may not have gotten UK to a bowl last year, Johnson got 7 wins in what amounted to a 10 game season for him, how do you put him on the bench?

Why would you want to rotate 2 qbs who bring the same skills? That doesn't put any extra pressure on the defense, just means you are playing your number 2 guy. Playing 2 have completely different skills forces the defense to prepare for both, taking up practice time,

Looking at our situation, Johnson and Barker aren't that different skill set wise. Johnson may be a little better runner and Barker is a better passer.

Obviously if you have two that are different it will work. We aren't in that situation.

Saban doesn't seem to have a problem starting seasons with rotating 2 QB's then settling on one later in the season. Think he's done it twice in the last 4 years.

Someone can check me out. Last year they played in the NC game and he started season rotation QB's.

I'm guessing we see see some scripted plays for both against SoMiss unless one really separates himself in camp.

We aren't Alabama and Nick Saban is not our coach. If another QB plays it will be at the very end of the game.

Johnson's intermediate game was never good. Gran quit throwing the ball over the middle because SJ passes were very high risk.

Listen, UK won games with SJ at QB last year. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

I'm not you enemy but you say we need to play dual QB's in one place then now you've settled on my choice for starting QB Steven Johnson?

I'm not you enemy but you say we need to play dual QB's in one place then now you've settled on my choice for starting QB Steven Johnson?

Think you misread my OP. I'm not pushing for rotating QB's. I'm obviously not opposed to it. I stated that: 1) I expect to see it early in the season. 2) I expect to see less of it as the season progresses. 3) The health & depth of running backs will have a huge influence on how much of it we see.

I agree with many who have said that Johnson deserves to start unless someone really passes him in fall camp. Barker is in a no win situation to start. Barker would be blamed for any loss or bad offensive performance and people would be screaming for Johnson. Like many others, I hate seeing a QB rotation that seems forced. If Johnson is playing well, then by all means don't force a situation that messes up a player's rhythm.

I expect Gran & Stoops have a plan to play Barker very soon after a couple bad drives. This will not be because of lack of confidence in Johnson as much as it is to change the flow of the game.

By game 3 I don't think you see much rotation at QB except to run the Wildcat package or due to injury.

Got my shirts ready.

s-l300.jpg
e20cbfc1137d58f317ea969175aab446.jpg

Looking at our situation, Johnson and Barker aren't that different skill set wise. Johnson may be a little better runner and Barker is a better passer.

Obviously if you have two that are different it will work. We aren't in that situation.
If you think Johnson is only a "little better runner" than Barker, then we've been watching a completely different game. And Barker is now coming off of back surgery which is likely to make his mobility even worse.

If we start platooning QBs early in the year w/o Johnson crapping the bed...I think I'd stroke out. It's Johnson at QB by a country mile from what I've seen. If anything upseats Johnson it would be a darkhorse in Gunner Hoak...not Drew Barker.

Reactions: Kingseve1
What would be interesting to see would be SJ lined up in the backfield/slot with Barker/Hoak at QB. You could get really creative with that set up as you have to respect Johnsons running ability. A little flea flicker or lateral pass option would be tough to defend. I'm not saying this will happen but it's fun to consider. It would be one way to solve a QB controversy.

But I expect SJ to start and play the overwhelming majority of snaps. I believe he earned it with his steady improvement last year and he will prove to be the Cats most dangerous QB. Teams will be keying on Snell so he should have ample opportunities to burn it up on the option. Pick your poison.

Cats have a returning QB that went 7-3 overall, .500 in the SEC, beat Louisville on the road and the month of June sees fans calling for the backup to play more. Funny stuff.

Don't like the two QB system and never have. Where I've seen it run I rarely see a great deal of success and, as stated above, it tends to divide team and fan base. This is Johnsons6team all the way at the start of the season and if he shows signs of struggling then we have a goo d corps of back ups to turn to at that time and switch. That's the way I see it happening anyway.

Think you misread my OP. I'm not pushing for rotating QB's. I'm obviously not opposed to it. I stated that: 1) I expect to see it early in the season. 2) I expect to see less of it as the season progresses. 3) The health & depth of running backs will have a huge influence on how much of it we see.

I agree with many who have said that Johnson deserves to start unless someone really passes him in fall camp. Barker is in a no win situation to start. Barker would be blamed for any loss or bad offensive performance and people would be screaming for Johnson. Like many others, I hate seeing a QB rotation that seems forced. If Johnson is playing well, then by all means don't force a situation that messes up a player's rhythm.

I expect Gran & Stoops have a plan to play Barker very soon after a couple bad drives. This will not be because of lack of confidence in Johnson as much as it is to change the flow of the game.

By game 3 I don't think you see much rotation at QB except to run the Wildcat package or due to injury.
Thanks for the clarification bbc4. We have a veteran offensive line and I think our offense will rock the second year of coach Gran's tenure. Myself I think SJ had a couple of bad series last year but they stuck with him. We are close to being on the same page.

The point is that a previous poster said he "led" us to a bowl game. That is true to a point but we went to a bowl game because our OL and RB's ran wild not because SJ was a stud. Other than the UL and MSU game you could argue that SJ was the worst player on the field most games, between not being able to complete an intermediate pass to the numerous fumbles. I mean he almost single handedly lost the Vandy game because he was so terrible. I hope he improves big time and leads us to a 10 win season but I'm not expecting it.
Worst person on the field. Johnson also put up 300 against nmst and turned the eku game around.

Johnson got 7 wins in what amounted to a 10 game season for him, how do you put him on the bench?

Grumpy, I have hit "like" on posts with different conclusions in this thread, if well argued.

I am a Johnson man, but this whole debate is a little odd, given that the Wildcat package, is, in itself, a variation on not only a two QB combo, but a two offensive philosophy combo.

I guess my best case scenario, and hope is that Barker gets lots of snaps, after Johnson has us up late in 3rd quarters.

I want and expect Johnson to succeed, but hope Barker is given solid minutes to set him up for '18.

One thing that could happen is that Johnson could be more of a problem as a runner because the coaches won't be scared to death that he might get injured. Might make the offense better with that threat.

I still can't believe that our OC back then took away one of Towles biggest assets by not letting him run the ball a lot more than he did.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Johnson 7-4 coming off an upset of UofL, which means he beat a ranked top 11 team on the road, and the first bowl appearance in 5 years for the Cats

Barker is 1-3 as a starter with that only win coming against an awful team in Charlotte where we ran the entire game.

As mentioned above, how many QBs in our history have we had that went on the road and beat a top 10/11 team? And outplayed the Heisman trophy winner on top of that?!

I'm not big on Johnson at all, as he cannot be hit without fear of him fumbling the ball and he misfires badly on his intermediate throws. But, he led us to a 7 win season and he is OVER .500 (4-3) in conference play as a starter...no matter what you say..the team played better than it has in years when he was under center. If you are gonna reward performance...he gets the nod and there should be no controversy about the matter.

Another year of Hinshaw after a year of experience in SEC play and a bowl...he will be a lot better.

Cats have a returning QB that went 7-3 overall, .500 in the SEC, beat Louisville on the road and the month of June sees fans calling for the backup to play more. Funny stuff.
Johnson 7-4 coming off an upset of UofL, which means he beat a ranked top 11 team on the road, and the first bowl appearance in 5 years for the Cats

Barker is 1-3 as a starter with that only win coming against an awful team in Charlotte where we ran the entire game.

As mentioned above, how many QBs in our history have we had that went on the road and beat a top 10/11 team? And outplayed the Heisman trophy winner on top of that?!

I'm not big on Johnson at all, as he cannot be hit without fear of him fumbling the ball and he misfires badly on his intermediate throws. But, he led us to a 7 win season and he is OVER .500 (4-3) in conference play as a starter...no matter what you say..the team played better than it has in years when he was under center. If you are gonna reward performance...he gets the nod and there should be no controversy about the matter.

Another year of Hinshaw after a year of experience in SEC play and a bowl...he will be a lot better.

Nothing has been said about who should get the 'nod.' Most fans agree Johnson should get the 'nod.' I'm guessing (it's just a guess) that Barker will have some scripted series in a similar way as they script the Wildcat package.

As others have stated, we shouldn't see any change at QB (whether that be a Wildcat package or a Barker package) if Johnson is in a good rhythm. Never mess with rhythm.

I'm just speculating that we'll see more of it in the first few games and less of it as the season progresses. Much of my speculation has to do with the running game as it does Johnson and Barker. If Snell stays completely healthy and doesn't get nicked up PLUS another quality running back emerges then most of this becomes a mute point.

Also, the offense has to take the time to prepare two packages.

IMHO, only helpful if you misdirect the other team into preparing for two, while you prepare only one.

Ah...I love a good QB controversy in the off season. I think we have to be a little careful assigning too much credit to Johnson for last year's improvement. The real key to our season is we turned into a smash mouth football team with excellent OL and running back play. We also had a big play receiver in Badet who gave us an extra dimension....which we don't have next year. We also won't have the luxury of Boom's explosive plays bailing us out on numerous occaisons. Clearly Johnson was good with the deep ball, and showed a lot of poise running the offense and making some plays with his legs. Next year the QB will need to be more precise in the intermediate routes. I believe Johnson deserves to start and I hope he plays well enough to keep the position. However, if he falters, expect to see Barker.....the staff has a lot of confidence in him when (if ) healthy.

SJ went 7-3 to end the year after Barker's 2-0 start. I do not see platooning as an option at all.

If you were to ask me, I would rather see Bowden in the QB position more than Barker this season discounting the end of blowout games.

SJ went 7-3 to end the year after Barker's 2-0 start. I do not see platooning as an option at all.

If you were to ask me, I would rather see Bowden in the QB position more than Barker this season discounting the end of blowout games.
In Barker's defense, he was hurt for part of those games.

Reactions: jauk11
As per usual I prefer to leave the starting lineup, and even the substitutions, to the coaches.

Believe it or not, they have more riding on the game than we do.

SJ was hurt for most of the season as well. He still won more than he lost. Drew has still 1-5 as the starter at UK.
There's an obvious difference between being nicked up and suffering a very serious back injury that makes playing any sport impossible.

I expect to see 2-QB rotation for the first few games. I think they'll keep it in the package, but we'll see less of it as the season progresses.

There was once an old football adage which said, "if you have 2 quarterbacks, then you have none." I don't think that's our situation.

Here are a few reasons I suspect we'll see it early in the season. (Maybe all year.)

1) I don't expect Johnson to separate himself from the pack.
Pros - The guy is just a winner. - Was that a 1-year fluke or a permanent trait? - Adds a needed dimension with the RPO.
Cons - Struggled last year with the intermediate passing game. - Turnovers​

2) Barker - Is he healthy? Can he stay healthy. (Backs are funny injuries ... just ask Romo.)
Pros - Much better intermediate passer than Johnson. - Had a great first half in the only half that he was supposedly healthy last year. - Was said to be key person that brought his recruiting class together. - Does he still have the support/confidence of his teammates? (I have no clue.)
Cons - We didn't see him run the RPO. It may not be in his package because of his back. The RPO is important part of college game. Lack of consistency. Looked like Brady in 1st half of SMiss game. Looked like Sanchez in 2nd half. (Again, I have no idea when his back became an issue.)
3. Running Game - This is biggest reason I expect to see an early season rotation.
- Snell and Boom split the load last year, which I think is important in today's game to keep players healthy and fresh for end of the game. It doesn't have to be 50/50, but someone needs to provide 15-18 quality runs besides Snell. Teams are going to load the box against us and dare us to beat them throwing the ball. (Granted, most teams loaded the box against us last year, but Benny & Boom were both healthy and very good.) We're thin at the rb position. OL were great run blockers and that shouldn't change this year.
- Barker causes the linebackers to have to respect the intermediate routes and the tight ends. He protects the running game and makes it easier on the 2nd & 3rd running back.
- Johnson causes the DE to respect his ability to pull the ball and run. This also creates some different problems for the defense.

A few things that will be determined in the first game. Do we have someone that can do what Snell did last year. It doesn't have to be the same style or even the same numbers. But, we can't have a big drop-off when Snell goes out.

Can Johnson improve his passing game enough that we don't hold our breath every time he throws the ball across the middle? Can Barker grind out a clock if we have a lead late in the 4th?

Can Snell stay healthy for the whole season? Gran did a great job last year of making UK a running team after Barker's injury. We're very thin at the rb position. Someone may surprise us like last year. If not, we're a Snell injury away from becoming a pass oriented offense.

These are reasons I think Gran utilizes a rotation in early season. One QB may separate himself from the other. One QB may find a groove against specific teams. It protects the running game. There doesn't appear to be a drop-off between the two. I've never liked a QB rotation, but Johnson and Barker may be this year's version of Boom & Benny. (Btw - the QB rotation could be Johnson & Hoak for many of the same reasons. Barker's back problem is an unknown.)

Thoughts?

What a horrible idea. This would divide the team, make both qbs question themselves, and turn a potential 8 win season to a 5 season very quickly.

Reactions: Rockford
I don't want a pre planned 2 QB rotation but I would like to see if the starter is smelling up the place that we try another player.
That happens pretty much everywhere, right? Our coaches will stick with the senior who just took us to a bowl. There will be 1 quarterback, and it's going to be SJ unless he gets hurt or somehow blows his opportunity. We will need a new starting quarterback in 2018, and that competition is already getting underway.

That happens pretty much everywhere, right? Our coaches will stick with the senior who just took us to a bowl. There will be 1 quarterback, and it's going to be SJ unless he gets hurt or somehow blows his opportunity. We will need a new starting quarterback in 2018, and that competition is already getting underway.

Well last year it was the pretty much the SJ show no matter how he was playing. We would go with the Wildcat when the passing was not doing well and it worked in a lot of games but the ones that didn't usually ended up in defeat. Unless you have a 3 year proved veteran in the game who you knew would make a comeback, I understand staying with the guy. But SJ has had part of a season under his belt, he will be the starter but if he has problems I hope we see someone come in to see if things can change with another player.

SJ is a work in progress. You cited some examples. Under very hostile conditions on the road, SJ outplayed the Heisman Trophy winner on November 25. That game showed that Coach Hinshaw had made huge progress with SJ's intermediate passing game, as he completed some sizzling passes up the seams. Then SJ unloaded a stinker in our bowl game. Then he had a pretty good spring before regressing in the BWG. But, going back to the win over UL, we saw SJ's ceiling. I expect to see it more often in 2017. Never underestimate Coach Hinshaw.

The old adage is correct 'If you have 2 QB's, you have no QB"

But we make an exception for the Gator national championship team? I choose to let this play out and see how the coaching staff decides is best for the team. SJ is distinct from our other QBs in consideration. The staff MAY feel there is a good way to match his strengths with the strengths of another. Or not.

I don't think any coach wants a 2 QB system, but I think good coaches consider the benefits against the risks.

But we make an exception for the Gator national championship team? I choose to let this play out and see how the coaching staff decides is best for the team. SJ is distinct from our other QBs in consideration. The staff MAY feel there is a good way to match his strengths with the strengths of another. Or not.

I don't think any coach wants a 2 QB system, but I think good coaches consider the benefits against the risks.
Well yeah there was that one time lol

ADVERTISEMENT