ADVERTISEMENT

Will we see 2-QB Rotation?

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
I expect to see 2-QB rotation for the first few games. I think they'll keep it in the package, but we'll see less of it as the season progresses.

There was once an old football adage which said, "if you have 2 quarterbacks, then you have none." I don't think that's our situation.

Here are a few reasons I suspect we'll see it early in the season. (Maybe all year.)

1) I don't expect Johnson to separate himself from the pack.
Pros - The guy is just a winner. - Was that a 1-year fluke or a permanent trait? - Adds a needed dimension with the RPO.
Cons - Struggled last year with the intermediate passing game. - Turnovers​

2) Barker - Is he healthy? Can he stay healthy. (Backs are funny injuries ... just ask Romo.)
Pros - Much better intermediate passer than Johnson. - Had a great first half in the only half that he was supposedly healthy last year. - Was said to be key person that brought his recruiting class together. - Does he still have the support/confidence of his teammates? (I have no clue.)
Cons - We didn't see him run the RPO. It may not be in his package because of his back. The RPO is important part of college game. Lack of consistency. Looked like Brady in 1st half of SMiss game. Looked like Sanchez in 2nd half. (Again, I have no idea when his back became an issue.)
3. Running Game - This is biggest reason I expect to see an early season rotation.
- Snell and Boom split the load last year, which I think is important in today's game to keep players healthy and fresh for end of the game. It doesn't have to be 50/50, but someone needs to provide 15-18 quality runs besides Snell. Teams are going to load the box against us and dare us to beat them throwing the ball. (Granted, most teams loaded the box against us last year, but Benny & Boom were both healthy and very good.) We're thin at the rb position. OL were great run blockers and that shouldn't change this year.
- Barker causes the linebackers to have to respect the intermediate routes and the tight ends. He protects the running game and makes it easier on the 2nd & 3rd running back.
- Johnson causes the DE to respect his ability to pull the ball and run. This also creates some different problems for the defense.

A few things that will be determined in the first game. Do we have someone that can do what Snell did last year. It doesn't have to be the same style or even the same numbers. But, we can't have a big drop-off when Snell goes out.

Can Johnson improve his passing game enough that we don't hold our breath every time he throws the ball across the middle? Can Barker grind out a clock if we have a lead late in the 4th?

Can Snell stay healthy for the whole season? Gran did a great job last year of making UK a running team after Barker's injury. We're very thin at the rb position. Someone may surprise us like last year. If not, we're a Snell injury away from becoming a pass oriented offense.

These are reasons I think Gran utilizes a rotation in early season. One QB may separate himself from the other. One QB may find a groove against specific teams. It protects the running game. There doesn't appear to be a drop-off between the two. I've never liked a QB rotation, but Johnson and Barker may be this year's version of Boom & Benny. (Btw - the QB rotation could be Johnson & Hoak for many of the same reasons. Barker's back problem is an unknown.)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Would not like to see it as they (2 QB rotations) rarely work out well.
Splits the team and fans who usually form loyalties to one or the other.
Pick a guy and stick with him. If you make a change, make it and go with it.
Amen.

Reactions: Bryo72
I am for it,, there is no reason imo why it wouldn't work in this particular case.

I too think it a possibility. Not ideal, but I think we have diversity of real talent at QB. I suspect our backup has regular series scripted.

I think our running game will again be a strength. I think Benny will be even better and will catch more passes out of the backfield like he did against UL.

My hope is that Koback is healthy, Rose is as good as I think he is, King creates a niche and Lynn B can lineup in the backfield. Am I asking too much from our RBs?

I expect to see 2-QB rotation for the first few games. I think they'll keep it in the package, but we'll see less of it as the season progresses.

There was once an old football adage which said, "if you have 2 quarterbacks, then you have none." I don't think that's our situation.

Here are a few reasons I suspect we'll see it early in the season. (Maybe all year.)

Pros - The guy is just a winner. - Was that a 1-year fluke or a permanent trait? - Adds a needed dimension with the RPO.

2) Barker - Is he healthy? Can he stay healthy. (Backs are funny injuries ... just ask Romo.)
Pros - Much better intermediate passer than Johnson. - Had a great first half in the only half that he was supposedly healthy last year. - Was said to be key person that brought his recruiting class together. - Does he still have the support/confidence of his teammates? (I have no clue.)
Cons - We didn't see him run the RPO. It may not be in his package because of his back. The RPO is important part of college game. Lack of consistency. Looked like Brady in 1st half of SMiss game. Looked like Sanchez in 2nd half. (Again, I have no idea when his back became an issue.)
3. Running Game - This is biggest reason I expect to see an early season rotation.
- Snell and Boom split the load last year, which I think is important in today's game to keep players healthy and fresh for end of the game. It doesn't have to be 50/50, but someone needs to provide 15-18 quality runs besides Snell. Teams are going to load the box against us and dare us to beat them throwing the ball. (Granted, most teams loaded the box against us last year, but Benny & Boom were both healthy and very good.) We're thin at the rb position. OL were great run blockers and that shouldn't change this year.
- Barker causes the linebackers to have to respect the intermediate routes and the tight ends. He protects the running game and makes it easier on the 2nd & 3rd running back.
- Johnson causes the DE to respect his ability to pull the ball and run. This also creates some different problems for the defense.

A few things that will be determined in the first game. Do we have someone that can do what Snell did last year. It doesn't have to be the same style or even the same numbers. But, we can't have a big drop-off when Snell goes out.

Can Johnson improve his passing game enough that we don't hold our breath every time he throws the ball across the middle? Can Barker grind out a clock if we have a lead late in the 4th?

Can Snell stay healthy for the whole season? Gran did a great job last year of making UK a running team after Barker's injury. We're very thin at the rb position. Someone may surprise us like last year. If not, we're a Snell injury away from becoming a pass oriented offense.

These are reasons I think Gran utilizes a rotation in early season. One QB may separate himself from the other. One QB may find a groove against specific teams. It protects the running game. There doesn't appear to be a drop-off between the two. I've never liked a QB rotation, but Johnson and Barker may be this year's version of Boom & Benny. (Btw - the QB rotation could be Johnson & Hoak for many of the same reasons. Barker's back problem is an unknown.)

Thoughts?

Yeah and we'll see a 5 win season in that event. Even I have more sense than that and I'm darned sure the coaches are smarter than me about football.

Stephen is proven. With a winning record and a bowl game, why question his ability to lead this squad to wins? Sure, Drew had half a good game, but that doesn't come close to what Stephen accomplished.

Stick with Stephen till there is a reason to change. Play Drew sparingly and hopefully he will be healthy and tuned in to lead us in 2018.

I am for it,, there is no reason imo why it wouldn't work in this particular case.

I don't think anyone that implements a 2 QB system ever thinks that it won't work...but rarely do they.
Receivers have to adjust to balls being thrown at different velocities which affects timing. Center has to adjust to different QBs, snap count cadence... If one is a running QB and the other a passing QB then you are tipping your hand to the defense...

It is nothing against any player it's just that it usually messes with the intangibles that are often the difference between success and failure. I don't believe that our margin for error is large enough to risk those intangible benefits of having one QB.

Reactions: No3goS
SJ starts against USM. Barker takes over by game 5. No rotation but if UK takes care of it's business I expect Barker and Hoak to get significant minutes against USM and EKU. I think SJ struggles againt USC and UF. The EMU game starts a 3 game stretch of winnable games, against progressively better opponents, to get another QB settled in before UT.

Reactions: bballcat4

Thoughts?

There will not be a 2 quarterback rotation. A starting quarterback will be named, and will lead our offense unless he gets hurt or underperforms.

Why do we continue with the SJohnson is a deep ball only QB in passing game? He looked pretty brutal throwing it in his first few starts vs. So Carolina, Vandy, etc...but as the year went on he was pretty dang good throwing it.

Miss St threw for 292 yards and 2 Tds
Mizzou threw for 208 yards and 2 Tds
UL threw for 338 yards and 3 Tds
Ga Tech 175 yards and 1 Td (not a big yardage day but he completed 56% of passes that day)

I thought in our run first offense...Johnson looked fine throwing it down the stretch. I think so many are caught up in spring game...but again that format didn't allow Johnson to use his feet to keep the chains moving which is his biggest threat. In the end, I just want Johnson to cut down on silly fumbles is my main issue with him...not his intermediate passing IMO. And there is no dual QB controversy...we have a QB won a good bit last year...let's build on it and improve around him to get to 8/9 wins or more.

Stephen is proven. With a winning record and a bowl game, why question his ability to lead this squad to wins? Sure, Drew had half a good game, but that doesn't come close to what Stephen accomplished.

Stick with Stephen till there is a reason to change. Play Drew sparingly and hopefully he will be healthy and tuned in to lead us in 2018.
Morgan Newton ring a bell? He also "led" us to a bowl game but was a terrible QB. Now SJ is not terrible but he's nothing to brag about either. He had some horrendous games last year.

Last edited:
Stephen Johnson will start the season at QB. I expect Hoak or Barker to get a few snaps during the first few games(maybe a series in the 1st half) but Johnson should play the majority of the games until he proves that he can't get the job done. (I don't expect that to happen because of his track record). There should be a natural progression from last year to this year and as the season goes along, there should be improved QB play. The #2 QB will play some in case of injuriies to Johnson. I certainly don't expect a let down like last season in the 2nd half of the Southern Miss game. I expect for UK to win this game comfortably and Barker and Hoak both will play in the game.

Well we have the evidence that SJ is not Morgan Newton, so the comparison is meritless. We also know that SJ was a first year Juco and our past history suggests Jucos make huge strides their second season. I like where we are at QB.

Newton was a first year Fr so we thought he would improve too. Different coaching staffs and different players, I get it. But don't just assume that just because he's older he will be better.

If Johnson holds onto the starting job then whoever is the backup needs to get a lot of snaps this year as they will likely be the starter next year. Hoak has zero experience and Barker will have had very little work in the last two years. That doesn't mean we will platoon the QBs but I do think the backup will play quite a bit and not necessarily in mop up rolls either.

The other thing is if we utilize Johnson as 1 and Barker or Hoak as 1a, with 1a getting maybe 20-30% of the snaps, opposing defenses will have to prepare for two different styles of QB. That will make it more difficult for them and allow us to take advantage of possible confusion of assignments etc. As long as we know who the starter is and game plan the substitution patterns, that should work fine.

Most seasons I can recall, if our starter can't go we have a huge problem on our hands, this year we have 3 QBs that IMO we could win with if need be. So I look for the way we utilize the backup(s) to be significantly different then in previous years.

Morgan Newton ring a bell? He also "led" us to a bowl game but was a terrible QB. Now SJ is not terrible but he's nothing to brag about either. He had some horrendous games last year.
Outside of both being black that is about the only comparison to Newton vs. Johnson.

1. Morgan first year was a high of 187 yards vs. Eastern Ky. Down the stretch of his first year at QB he threw 69 vs. Tenn, 40 vs. Vandy and 98 vs. CLemson. He did has a 137 years vs. UGA (80 of which on a screen pass to Locke). Newton never had a game like UL, Miss St that Johnson showed..

2. Newton was not a run threat...in fact he was a tough runner...but slow as Christmas. Johnson has pretty solid run threat in read option game.

I just shake my head at anyone who wants to argue for Barker. I could make an outside argument for Hoak based upon his spring game and we've never seen Gunnar's warts yet. But Barker wet the bed bigtime vs. So Miss and his first year the UL game he pretty much chocked when given a 21 pt lead and he is virtually zero read option threat...so he takes away from run game whereas Johnson compliments it. I hope for the best with Drew...but it ain't to up seat Johnson in any way.

Outside of both being black that is about the only comparison to Newton vs. Johnson.

1. Morgan first year was a high of 187 yards vs. Eastern Ky. Down the stretch of his first year at QB he threw 69 vs. Tenn, 40 vs. Vandy and 98 vs. CLemson. He did has a 137 years vs. UGA (80 of which on a screen pass to Locke). Newton never had a game like UL, Miss St that Johnson showed..

2. Newton was not a run threat...in fact he was a tough runner...but slow as Christmas. Johnson has pretty solid run threat in read option game.

I just shake my head at anyone who wants to argue for Barker. I could make an outside argument for Hoak based upon his spring game and we've never seen Gunnar's warts yet. But Barker wet the bed bigtime vs. So Miss and his first year the UL game he pretty much chocked when given a 21 pt lead and he is virtually zero read option threat...so he takes away from run game whereas Johnson compliments it. I hope for the best with Drew...but it ain't to up seat Johnson in any way.

The point is that a previous poster said he "led" us to a bowl game. That is true to a point but we went to a bowl game because our OL and RB's ran wild not because SJ was a stud. Other than the UL and MSU game you could argue that SJ was the worst player on the field most games, between not being able to complete an intermediate pass to the numerous fumbles. I mean he almost single handedly lost the Vandy game because he was so terrible. I hope he improves big time and leads us to a 10 win season but I'm not expecting it.

I think turnovers will dictate SJs future this year. I think he will start but if he starts turning the ball over like last year, we will see another QB. We have more depth this year.

Morgan Newton ring a bell? He also "led" us to a bowl game but was a terrible QB. Now SJ is not terrible but he's nothing to brag about either. He had some horrendous games last year. Wait, we were talking about Stephen Johnson? Correct?????

The point is that a previous poster said he "led" us to a bowl game. That is true to a point but we went to a bowl game because our OL and RB's ran wild not because SJ was a stud. Other than the UL and MSU game you could argue that SJ was the worst player on the field most games, between not being able to complete an intermediate pass to the numerous fumbles. I mean he almost single handedly lost the Vandy game because he was so terrible. I hope he improves big time and leads us to a 10 win season but I'm not expecting it.
Normally MSU and UofL leaves our entire team looking rediculous.

Simply NO. There shouldn't be any question right now who our starting QB will be against Southern Mississippi! Like fuzz said 2 QB's rotation don't work well and I don't see that happening.

Saban doesn't seem to have a problem starting seasons with rotating 2 QB's then settling on one later in the season. Think he's done it twice in the last 4 years.

Someone can check me out. Last year they played in the NC game and he started season rotation QB's.

I'm guessing we see see some scripted plays for both against SoMiss unless one really separates himself in camp.

Why do we continue with the SJohnson is a deep ball only QB in passing game? He looked pretty brutal throwing it in his first few starts vs. So Carolina, Vandy, etc...but as the year went on he was pretty dang good throwing it.

Miss St threw for 292 yards and 2 Tds
Mizzou threw for 208 yards and 2 Tds
UL threw for 338 yards and 3 Tds
Ga Tech 175 yards and 1 Td (not a big yardage day but he completed 56% of passes that day)

I thought in our run first offense...Johnson looked fine throwing it down the stretch. I think so many are caught up in spring game...but again that format didn't allow Johnson to use his feet to keep the chains moving which is his biggest threat. In the end, I just want Johnson to cut down on silly fumbles is my main issue with him...not his intermediate passing IMO. And there is no dual QB controversy...we have a QB won a good bit last year...let's build on it and improve around him to get to 8/9 wins or more.

Johnson's intermediate game was never good. Gran quit throwing the ball over the middle because SJ passes were very high risk.

Listen, UK won games with SJ at QB last year. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

Reactions: BBNRDU
I too think it a possibility. Not ideal, but I think we have diversity of real talent at QB. I suspect our backup has regular series scripted.

I think our running game will again be a strength. I think Benny will be even better and will catch more passes out of the backfield like he did against UL.

My hope is that Koback is healthy, Rose is as good as I think he is, King creates a niche and Lynn B can lineup in the backfield. Am I asking too much from our RBs?

Caveman - your scenario would answer a lot of questions. I think we're thin at rb. I expect King to be the jitterbug scatback. If Koback and Rose are healthy and as good as advertised then one of us could play qb ;-) Btw - I do expect next year's' rb crew to be top part of SEC. Hopefully, someone else can be that freshmen surprise that Snell was last year.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan

Thoughts?

IMO Stephen Johnson at QB takes UK to another bowl game. Drew Barker at QB takes UK to bigger bowl game and makes us a contender for the SEC East. Good news/bad news about Johnson - SEC teams know what to expect from him. Good news/bad news about Barker - SEC team's don't know what to expect from him.

Go Big Blue!

Would not like to see it as they (2 QB rotations) rarely work out well.
Splits the team and fans who usually form loyalties to one or the other.
Pick a guy and stick with him. If you make a change, make it and go with it.
THIS ^^^. A true QB rotation seldom works. Some teams will make some situational adjustments (e.g., bring in "runner" at QB deep in the opponent's red zone) or bring in "passer" down by 28 late in the third quarter). But they will be back to the regular starter the next week so I don't really call that "rotation"

Peace

Thoughts?

I am not a fan of platooning qbs, can it work, absolutely UF won a NC playing 2 qbs. My thoughts are that it keeps your offense from getting any kind of rythem, of course if one isn't getting it done it's not going to hurt to give the other a couple series. But if one has moved the ball downfield, scored points on 2 drives, why do you want to take him out? If he has committed 2 turnovers, sure see what the other can do. But doing that could really work on a qb's head.

I am not a fan of platooning qbs, can it work, absolutely UF won a NC playing 2 qbs. My thoughts are that it keeps your offense from getting any kind of rythem, of course if one isn't getting it done it's not going to hurt to give the other a couple series. But if one has moved the ball downfield, scored points on 2 drives, why do you want to take him out? If he has committed 2 turnovers, sure see what the other can do. But doing that could really work on a qb's head.

Bad example in my opinion. Tebow and Leak were complete 180s from the other. Tebow had certain packages to come in and run his freshman year and that was virtually it.

Agree with your scenario.

My thought is: 1) do it more like Saban has done it early in season then land on your primary QB for majority of your snaps. 2) Our QB's have very different strengths. If our other running backs provide quality depth then this is a mute point. Ga seems to always be loaded with running back talent. I'm hoping the Boom and Snell combination last year wasn't an aberration. Kemp was the best 3rd rb we've had in many years. We'll need to stay healthy and have a freshman play quality minutes.

I don't want a pre planned 2 QB rotation but I would like to see if the starter is smelling up the place that we try another player.

Reactions: southindycat
Is there a reason QB's today are only thought as good as they throw? Just getting that snap from the center just right, use to be important on what a QB could and would do.

Reactions: Bryo72
ADVERTISEMENT