ADVERTISEMENT

Will Title 9 continue as is with all of the revenue losses?

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
Not to mention the players wanting a share of the NCAA money.

How can these school's athletic programs keep it?

It doesn't impact it at all. Title IX is for preventing any barring of participation not equal financial terms. This is why a women's softball coach and a football coaches aren't forced to have the same salaries, for example. Think UK could pay Rachel Lawson what Alabama pays Nick Saban? To quote from that link:

However, in those rare instances where pay issues have emerged under Title IX, courts have typically viewed the act as coextensive with the Equal Pay Act of 1963 and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Thus, courts have upheld greater pay for male coaches where the male coaches' work has been found to involve greater “skill, effort or responsibility.”

So far the enforcement of title IX hasn't been insane. It's more impacting male oriented non revenue sports. And I'm sure that will continue.

Not to mention the players wanting a share of the NCAA money.

How can these school's athletic programs keep it?

Non revenue programs will have to be cut,unless the law changes Title9 will be enforced. If you can't provide for the females you wont be providing for the males,which I dont disagree with.

Title IX is a communist construct. "The school must spend an equal amount on both male and female athletes." It almost sounds reasonable. Until you realize that almost all sports lose money, with only a few exceptions in football, and even fewer in basketball. So that pie is already small. Now, add in players wanting to be paid. Not making a judgment but I can see their point. Pie gets smaller. How long until the players making the money for the schools demand all the profits? Isn't that the reasonable projection of paying them? So where does the womens soccer team fall? You think the feminist are going to allow men to be paid more, even if they are the only ones generating income? Of course not! They are doing equal work. Right? Schools will have no choice but to go to a rec-league set up if they have any sports at all. Money is a finite resource. I'll be dead before I can see this happen. To bad. I would enjoy it greatly.

Title IX is a communist construct. "The school must spend an equal amount on both male and female athletes." It almost sounds reasonable. Until you realize that almost all sports lose money, with only a few exceptions in football, and even fewer in basketball. So that pie is already small. Now, add in players wanting to be paid. Not making a judgment but I can see their point. Pie gets smaller. How long until the players making the money for the schools demand all the profits? Isn't that the reasonable projection of paying them? So where does the womens soccer team fall? You think the feminist are going to allow men to be paid more, even if they are the only ones generating income? Of course not! They are doing equal work. Right? Schools will have no choice but to go to a rec-league set up if they have any sports at all. Money is a finite resource. I'll be dead before I can see this happen. To bad. I would enjoy it greatly.

Regardless of how you and I feel, the young ladies work just as hard as the young men do and deserve to have nice facilities just like the guys do. The Supreme Court agrees with that and if a school can't afford the female sports then they won't have male sports. Title IX guarantees equal opportunity, not equal pay.

UK has a pretty small athletics department in terms of sports so not a ton of room to cut, but you’re gonna see a lot of these enormous programs trim back starting with men’s sports. See Stanford.

Not gonna be a good year to be a men’s fencing, wrestling or lightweight rowing coach.

I guess my writing was muddy. I agree with you. Male sports will be canceled because women will demand to be paid just as much as the men, even though they do not produce the same income. If you think people who produce less income for a business deserves the same pay as someone who produces more, you have never been in business. Or if you were, you weren't in it long.

Reactions: law1127
Hello Club Teams, our sports is going to move toward the European model across the board. Government can't, supposedly, regulate private club teams. If things don't change That's where it will end up. Most here in the US don't understand the privileged freedoms we have.

I guess my writing was muddy. I agree with you. Male sports will be canceled because women will demand to be paid just as much as the men, even though they do not produce the same income. If you think people who produce less income for a business deserves the same pay as someone who produces more, you have never been in business. Or if you were, you weren't in it long.

We’re not talking about people’s salaries working for a company. It is sports at public institutions that get funding from tax dollars. And yes even from women. And No I don’t agree with people getting same pay for less effort but that’s not what title IX is about. It’s for equal opportunity in college. So if a sport loses money should they be terminated? If so then a lot of men’s sports including Basketball would need to shut down

That’s not exactly what Title IX says and athletics is such a small part of it and was an after thought when it became a federal law in the 70’s.

I do think what the NCAA will be doing in letting athletes profit from their likeness is perfect. All athletes get the same opportunity, so it falls within Title IX but we know only the big time athletes will get the benefits if it.

ADVERTISEMENT