ADVERTISEMENT

Will Stoops get it done this year?

Thoughts?
Stoops inherited a 2-10 team with a decimated roster. UK has been to 2 straight bowls now. We just signed the best high school player out of the state of Michigan, and UK is now considered the 2nd most influential recruiting program in the state of Ohio. That ought to answer your question. But if it doesn't, I predict 2018 will be UK's most succesful football season in more than 30 years.

I think he will if any of the QBs become capable SEC quality QB, just not sure I see that happening.

The coaching staff without a doubt has recruited better players and has more individual talent on the field, especially on the defensive side. It’s time to see if that translates over to better production on the field as an overall group on a consistent basis.

Until the offense becomes more balanced and efficient in the passing game and can help put more points on the board, look for the same offensive approach and continued struggle to put teams away.

6-6, 7-5 for Stoops. That's his ceiling and that's ok. Better than what we saw before him and in his earlier years.

I still think the three most glaring coaching errors were much more the responsibility of the coaches up above than the HC on the sidelines.
Yea, the coaches upstairs should have seen the FL WR standing uncovered right in front of the UK bench & signaled to the sideline coaches to have the D cover the WR.. The coaches upstairs were screaming at the DB against FL near our GL to the extent he guessed the coaches screaming wanted him to come off the field & leaving us with 10 defenders. With lack of said screaming from upstairs my judgment is the DB would have stayed on the field. Now maybe those aren't glaring errors or errors at all.

6-6, 7-5 for Stoops. That's his ceiling and that's ok. Better than what we saw before him and in his earlier years.

If this is the case, I’m hoping we’ll make a change. 7 wins and a meaningless bowl isn’t good enough IMO. Have the steadily improve-8 wins consistency and a 9 sprinkled in. He’s being paid top 25 money, has to deliver top 25 results.

Reactions: RonEJones
7-5 w/o 4 score losses is competitive to me. Not what I hope for but what I expect given our inherent disadvantages of being a small state with a relatively poor in-state talent base combined with a significant in-state competitor. Most small state schools don't face that. The only other places with those 3 negatives together I see are IA/ISU, KS/KSU, & OR/OSU, maybe OK/OSU. But no one else in SEC has all those.

Reactions: jauk11
If this is the case, I’m hoping we’ll make a change. 7 wins and a meaningless bowl isn’t good enough IMO. Have the steadily improve-8 wins consistency and a 9 sprinkled in. He’s being paid top 25 money, has to deliver top 25 results.
I will agree in principle with you, but I don't think MS would ever lose his job winning 7 games every year...for one thing his contract calls for an automatic extension.

Last edited:
our inherent disadvantages of being a small state with a relatively poor in-state talent base combined with a significant in-state competitor. Most small state schools don't face that. The only other places with those 3 negatives together I see are IA/ISU, KS/KSU, & OR/OSU, maybe OK/OSU. But no one else in SEC has all those.
Tennessee/Vandy, Ole Miss/MSU, South Carolina/Clemson fulfill all 3 of your criteria, although certainly not to the extreme extent that UK/UL do. Your overall point is definitely valid, and explains why UK and UL must recruit effectively out of state in order to maintain successful football and basketball programs. As we know, UL has responded to this challenge by cheating.

I will agree in principle with you, but I don't think MS would ever lose his job winning 7 games every year...for one thing his contract calls for an automatic extension.

Future schedules are set to yield 7 wins even if we don’t perform to capability. I hope the fans and administration will demand more than just meeting minimum expectations.

Reactions: RonEJones
Tennessee/Vandy, Ole Miss/MSU, South Carolina/Clemson fulfill all 3 of your criteria, although certainly not to the extreme extent that UK/UL do. Your overall point is definitely valid, and explains why UK and UL must recruit effectively out of state in order to maintain successful football and basketball programs. As we know, UL has responded to this challenge by cheating.
They do not have all those issues. Both TN & SC are noticeably more populated with TN being 1.5x people plus both send considerably more instate talent to P5 schools. How you think MS doesn't have way more D1 talent than KY is a mystery. For 2008-17, MS had 443 FBS signees, TN 434, SC 394 - BTW, all more than unmentioned by you AR & MO - & KY 178. Net, clear disparity for each from KY.

LV's alleged cheating has nothing to do with my comments. They're a competing P5 school, my point, cheaters or not. Hoops and football shouldn't be conflated.

Yea, the coaches upstairs should have seen the FL WR standing uncovered right in front of the UK bench & signaled to the sideline coaches to have the D cover the WR.. The coaches upstairs were screaming at the DB against FL near our GL to the extent he guessed the coaches screaming wanted him to come off the field & leaving us with 10 defenders. With lack of said screaming from upstairs my judgment is the DB would have stayed on the field. Now maybe those aren't glaring errors or errors at all.

So you are saying the coaches didn't deliberately tell the DB to leave the field?

OK, I can understand that, communication error.

You mean u6 will actually have to use the punter next year?

Sounds like a hell of a bet to me, but then I only do small bets the legal way, that way you get paid if you win. I would love to see that proposition at a sports book though, if I find it I will notify you so you can mortgage your house to bet on it, lol, I won't ever come close to mortgaging my house but I would surely take the opposite bet.

They do not have all those issues. Both TN & SC are noticeably more populated with TN being 1.5x people plus both send considerably more instate talent to P5 schools. How you think MS doesn't have way more D1 talent than KY is a mystery. For 2008-17, MS had 443 FBS signees, TN 434, SC 394 - BTW, all more than unmentioned by you AR & MO - & KY 178. Net, clear disparity for each from KY.

LV's alleged cheating has nothing to do with my comments. They're a competing P5 school, my point, cheaters or not. Hoops and football shouldn't be conflated.

And Arkansas's in state competition is Arkansas State? And Missouri's is St Louis University?

I think this team will win 6 games solidly (3 non conference and Vandy). Then UL, Miss St, USC, Mizz and UT are all winnable and loseable as well. I think UK can find a way to get 2 of them to 6 wins..not sure about anything else.

1. It all comes down to me...our defense has to play way better with 10 of 11 starters back and tons of Sr/Jrs. I agree with Wildcard that experienced Sr in Westry isn't that vital...but guys like Allen, Ware, Edwards, Baity...even Jordan Jones his So year, etc...all have been playmakers at times. This unit has to finish in top 60 nationally in defense...it just has to happen this year or Stoops will never be able to do anything but outscore people (which ain't happening).
2. QB play is the other glaring issue...spring game did nothing to alleviate those concerns. As Grumpy pointed out...teams will load the box against the run and Wilson/Hoak have to have an answer. Personally...I hope we go Wilson and tons of read options. Wilson is very fast and can make you pay if you load up on Benny alone.
3. My last concern is UK wins a bunch by the skin of their teeth (and loses in same capacity). Austin FG have been huge and even the punting last year was really good. I think we see a downgrade in special teams and can UK win tight games if that isn't a strength this year? (i.e. more pressure on D IMO).

I honestly don't know how to evaluate QB's based on what I saw of our outside receivers. I thought our inside receivers did fine. Bowden and Bouvier were very effective as was Thomas. But those were all short routes. We need the outside receivers to make plays down field to open up the offense and those guys not only dropped good throws but also just didn't appear to even be capable of making plays. I thought Hoak made some nice down field throws but it just looked like a total waste of time even attempting it.

Hoak had by far the best command over the offense and it wasn't even close. However if there is nobody to make the play on the other end I don't know how we can go with him. The good news is Wilson was a lot faster than I expected. To me he looked like the fastest player on the fields. Several plays were blown dead because of the generous two hand touch rule. Wilson got sacked on one of the where the defended actually wasn't even within 15 feet of Wilson. He would have gained 40 yards on that play and might have even broken it for a score. Wilson had at least 3 such plays and it's not out unrealistic to think he would have easily broken 100 yards rushing for the game if it were a live game. We will have to go to a system that is much more dependent on QB runs if Wilson is the guy but that might be our best option right now.

The good news was the defensive line. This is without question the best defensive line we've had since Stoops has been here. Even better than the first group that had Dupree and Zadrius on the line. After watching the scrimmage I will repeat my earlier statement that Paschal is one of our 5 best defensive players. Having him starting at DE instead of being a reserve LB is a big improvement.

Won’t disagree. He just needs to keep a cooler head so he can pick up on these issues before it’s too costly. There’s been too many instances where he’s arguing with a ref rather than focusing on what’s happening on the field. It’s the little things that make the great ones great.

You could be right but take someone like SABAN, he can chew on a ref's ear for a half because he expects his assistants to manage the game while he is busy and if they don't, well I have seen him chew on his assistants a couple of times. So actually if the team goes downhill because your HC is arguing a terrible call, its actually the assistants fault in my eyes because they have to pick up their game.

Reactions: The-Hack
How do you know this?

Because it is proven. His teams regress as the season progresses, and has shown to be an inept game manager quite often. He was a couple of plays a year ago from completely crapping the bed and only having 4-5 wins. His OC's have been consistently awful, not to mention the defensive liabilities EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

He was a couple of plays a year ago from completely crapping the bed and only having 4-5 wins.

And he was three plays away from finishing with 10 wins . . . . both your and my statistical facts are likely true of 90% of teams that won 7 games.

If you can count moral losses, pumpers can count moral victories.

Reactions: cathouse and jauk11
Because it is proven. His teams regress as the season progresses, and has shown to be an inept game manager quite often. He was a couple of plays a year ago from completely crapping the bed and only having 4-5 wins. His OC's have been consistently awful, not to mention the defensive liabilities EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

You are what you record says you are. I agree with you on the first couple of sentences.

Yes, but other than that what did you find wrong with him?

Have you been talking to Sluggo?

ADVERTISEMENT