ADVERTISEMENT

Will Memphis be in the Sweet 16 first, or on NCAA probation 1st?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Is there any doubt that Memphis will be in serious trouble with the NCAA soon. Some things you just know is going to happen. Like the sun coming up in the morning, I'm that confident that Memphis will soon be on NCAA probation. It's not a question of if, It's a question of when?

I don't foresee either any time soon. The madness event flub was not serious and even with Wiseman they might not make the NCAA tournament. Penny has no track record and I don't know of any compliance problems n recent years.

Neither will happen.

Too much ish happening to make dumb moves... eliminating Penny from making any artificial noise at Memphis.

This is Penny’s first college job, people are acting like Memphis hired Rupp, Kychhseski, Dean Smith or some other legendary coach. He will struggle the first few years for sure.

What a stupid question. Same things opposing fan bases were saying the day Calipari got hired. Ten years later, no issues at all.

Reactions: yoshukai
I don't see any reason to think Hardaway will have to cheat to get recruits . I also think he will have a lot of success there . And it won't have much effect on us at all .

I don't see any reason to think Hardaway will have to cheat to get recruits . I also think he will have a lot of success there . And it won't have much effect on us at all .

He’s already cheating. You know he/others/high school boosters have dished out $$$$ and other things to these kids. I don’t know a high school coach who didn’t arrange things for their kids the difference is they weren’t involved with them at he next level. Pennys leap from aau and high school to college coach blurs a lot of lines.

I don't think Penny will cheat. BUT, those idiot Memphis fans that have been so starved for a winner since Calipari left them, would do anything or spend what ever it takes to bring in 5-Star recruits to make sure that their local hero Penny Hardaway has success. The city of Memphis has a pretty bad reputation for having a lot of seedy characters. Penny won't get them trouble, their fans will. Wasn't it in the city of Memphis that got our football team along with Alabama's football team in trouble a number of years back. And if that city is dirty when it comes to football, you know they're 10x worse when it comes to basketball

Reactions: yoshukai
He’s already cheating. You know he/others/high school boosters have dished out $$$$ and other things to these kids. I don’t know a high school coach who didn’t arrange things for their kids the difference is they weren’t involved with them at he next level. Pennys leap from aau and high school to college coach blurs a lot of lines.

I could somehow see your point about blurring lines with such a jump, usually. But, don't you think the fact that Penny was an NBA star for many years and a former Memphis player have something to do with his quick rise to college coach at Memphis? Ya gotta admit, that makes a bit of difference for him compared to an average AAU and high school coach making the jump, don't you think?

I could somehow see your point about blurring lines with such a jump, usually. But, don't you think the fact that Penny was an NBA star for many years and a former Memphis player have something to do with his quick rise to college coach at Memphis? Ya gotta admit, that makes a bit of difference for him compared to an average AAU and high school coach making the jump, don't you think?

Makes it even more a major question mark imo bc he has big money. Who knows how much he spent on his kids in high school and aau. I venture to say it’s a lot more than zero. I wouldn’t be surprised if penny was buying them clothes, jewelry and things like that. It’s tough to coach kids whose families struggle financially and not step in. I would say penny has 10s or thousands into the kids he coached at the lower level. That’s what imo blurs the lines.

Not to mention all the free stuff penny was getting from Nike and likely giving it to the kids. I think it was a bad precedent hire and could open a major Pandora’s box that I wouldn’t be surprised to see Memphis state go to war over

The real question is, who gives a shit about Memphis? Why post about a flippin AAC school on our board?

Since Hardaway's contract is only for 3 years and right now his name alone is selling tickets, then I suppose the pressure to perform could entice some Memphis St. boosters to act on their own in year 2 or 3, but I don't think Penny would risk his brand new college coaching future for NCAA probation. Nor do I think he has the coaching experience to get to a Sweet 16. If he wins a few games, then I could see him jumping at an NBA job. If he loses a bunch of games, then Memphis will probably start over again with a new coach.

So I guess neither.

Who cares!

Who cares what happens to this mid-major. You guys are elevating their status by talking about them so much.

Reactions: zannmann

considering Penny coached these kids in HS/AAU why would it be odd for them to want to play for him in college too? I mean, a few of these kids he's coached since middle school. That's not cheating...

Penny knows he needs help with the high level Xs and Os so he went out and hired former NBA COY Sam Mitchell and former Ole Miss assoc HC/interim HC Tony Madlock.

the real question is what happens after Wiseman and Jeffries? what happens when he has to go recruit kids who haven't played for him?

considering Penny coached these kids in HS/AAU why would it be odd for them to want to play for him in college too? I mean, a few of these kids he's coached since middle school. That's not cheating...

Penny knows he needs help with the high level Xs and Os so he went out and hired former NBA COY Sam Mitchell and former Ole Miss assoc HC/interim HC Tony Madlock.

the real question is what happens after Wiseman and Jeffries? what happens when he has to go recruit kids who haven't played for him?

If he’s been part of their life since middle school then he has certainly dished out money to these kids for clothes, food and likely jewelry. There is no doubt he has done that. It’s not about them wanting to play for him it’s about what he did to take care of kids when he was their middle school coach. What teacher or coach in high school hasn’t helped kids who are poor? Now multiply that by 10000 bc penny is a rich former nba player. I guarantee you he has broken ncaa violation after violation

ADVERTISEMENT