ADVERTISEMENT

Will Levis Projected 7th

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018

“A transfer from Penn State, Levis has a relatively quick release, and the ball jumps off his hand. He has a strong arm to drive the ball outside the hashes and vertically, but he's more consistent with ball placement when he's driving it on a rope than he is on touch throws that require him to layer the ball. He is light on his feet and shows good agility eluding the rush, knowing when to climb or slide to extend. I'd like to see more reps featuring full-field progression reads and downfield anticipatory throws, and he needs to cut down on the interceptions (four in five games this season, and 13 in 2021). He has 1,405 passing yards and 12 touchdown throws while completing 68.8% of his passes.”

Going max protect isn't a good strategy because it reduces the routes to 2. Then if they dont blitz at least a few, you just threw away a down.

What we need is the QB to presnap ID and recognize the potential blitzers, then make a quick decision post snap about where to go with the ball. Good qbs do it all the time. Last game we saw task do it time and again. Will just can't do it, yet. He's much better now than he was, he just has a long way to go in that aspect of the position. Until he figures it out.... we'll keep seeing heavy pressure.

I noticed this year we stopped the "check with me" strategy. I know scang is trying to get will ready for the NFL by pushing him to make these reads himself, but I think in the meantime we need to go back with the strategy. That way the staff can help him presnap

Going max protect isn't a good strategy because it reduces the routes to 2. Then if they dont blitz at least a few, you just threw away a down.

What we need is the QB to presnap ID and recognize the potential blitzers, then make a quick decision post snap about where to go with the ball. Good qbs do it all the time. Last game we saw task do it time and again. Will just can't do it, yet. He's much better now than he was, he just has a long way to go in that aspect of the position. Until he figures it out.... we'll keep seeing heavy pressure.

I noticed this year we stopped the "check with me" strategy. I know scang is trying to get will ready for the NFL by pushing him to make these reads himself, but I think in the meantime we need to go back with the strategy. That way the staff can help him presnap
To each their own, and I don’t think there is a wrong way, but I hated this under Brooks, Joker, and Brown. Looking at the sideline for the playcall with 7 seconds on the play clock gives me the willies

To each their own, and I don’t think there is a wrong way, but I hated this under Brooks, Joker, and Brown. Looking at the sideline for the playcall with 7 seconds on the play clock gives me the willies
Yeah, I find myself watching the play clock every down. I understand that strategy, but it’s nerve wrecking.

I agree but 1) we can't presnap id the blitz and 2) we're already running the clock down as it is. We're close to last in the country at pace.

The real answer is the QB starts to id potential blitzers that walk up so post snap he can quickly id the blitz and better understand the time he has, where to throw, etc. He will get there it just won't be this season.

It takes 25 seconds to get the play call in, if we do the “check what coaches say on sidelines” we’ll have 34 delay of game penalties called. Stoopsy has killed offensive football at UK with his obsession of bleeding the clock to mask his holes on defense.

ADVERTISEMENT