ADVERTISEMENT

Will ESPN Interview Exonerate Myer?

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eyer-says-failed-media-day-dealing-zach-smith

ESPN is reporting that a live interview with Smith reveals the OSU AD was aware of charges.

I’m not an OSU fan, but this story has a lot of moving parts. Meyer’s superior may have been notified.

Meyer has admitted to not properly handling the question during the Big 10 Media Days. (Da! No one likes a snitch, but he should’ve been honest with his answer.)

If the AD was aware of the accusation does it save Meyer? (I don’t know how Title IX reporting works.)

Does AD lose his job?

What is AD expected to do if the police indicate there is no evidence to validate the accusation?

My personal thoughts are that Smith is guilty on some level. It’s crazy that the laws are written the way they are written. Meyer knew the AD was aware of the situation and never thought he was hiding anything from his boss. Meyer left a wake of criminals behind him when he left Fla.

It’ll be interesting to see how this ends up. If Meyer gets fired I think the AD will get fired with him.

Did Meyer lie? If his wife told him in 2015 and Meyer lied about it recently, does this exonerate him? And, Meyer is responsible for maintaining OSU policies about abuse with regard to his staff. If he knew and Smith again was not relieved of responsibilities by the coach, does this exonerate him?

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eyer-says-failed-media-day-dealing-zach-smith

ESPN is reporting that a live interview with Smith reveals the OSU AD was aware of charges.

I’m not an OSU fan, but this story has a lot of moving parts. Meyer’s superior may have been notified.

Meyer has admitted to not properly handling the question during the Big 10 Media Days. (Da! No one likes a snitch, but he should’ve been honest with his answer.)

If the AD was aware of the accusation does it save Meyer? (I don’t know how Title IX reporting works.)

Does AD lose his job?

What is AD expected to do if the police indicate there is no evidence to validate the accusation?

My personal thoughts are that Smith is guilty on some level. It’s crazy that the laws are written the way they are written. Meyer knew the AD was aware of the situation and never thought he was hiding anything from his boss. Meyer left a wake of criminals behind him when he left Fla.

It’ll be interesting to see how this ends up. If Meyer gets fired I think the AD will get fired with him.
Some level? Did you not see the photos! Good Grief man!

Did Meyer lie? If his wife told him in 2015 and Meyer lied about it recently, does this exonerate him? And, Meyer is responsible for maintaining OSU policies about abuse with regard to his staff. If he knew and Smith again was not relieved of responsibilities by the coach, does this exonerate him?

I don’t believe Meyer is a good person. Some people say he’s a different man than he was at Fla.

Getting fired for cause is a legal issue more than a moral one, unless school wants to use a morality clause. (IE... Pitino & hookers)

I’m asking if the AD being aware of the accusation qualifies for him notifying correct people about the issue.

Some level? Did you not see the photos! Good Grief man!

Let me clarify again, I don’t think Meyer is a good person, made the correct decision,
Etc....

My question is about him using the “I told the AD” to keep his job.

Original report implied that Meyer knew about the accusation, but didn’t do anything about it. It’s now looking like the AD knew everything.

Again, I believe Smith is guilty. Too much smoke to not have some fire. I also believe Meyer should have fired Smith much sooner.

But, it now looks like the AD knew the same details as Meyer. This will have more of a Penn St feel with multiple people going down.

How could he notify anyone IF he didn't know about it,which is where the problem comes from.

He admitted today to not answering the question truthfully during Big 10 Media days. The interviews/articles are interesting.

I’m not defending Meyer at all. I’m curious to see how the AD being aware of everything changes the outcome. If I was a betting man I’d bet they both are out.

Meyer released a statement today, saying he did know about the incident in 2015 and reported it to the AD. He said he wasn’t prepared to talk about it, when he was asked by the media and replied, saying he didn’t know about it. So, he basically confessed today that he lied to the reporter to dodge the question.

I don’t believe Meyer is a good person. Some people say he’s a different man than he was at Fla.

Getting fired for cause is a legal issue more than a moral one, unless school wants to use a morality clause. (IE... Pitino & hookers)

I’m asking if the AD being aware of the accusation qualifies for him notifying correct people about the issue.

While I suspect we require far more information, it has been reported that Meyer has a sort of morality clause in his contract and that the school’s anti-abuse mandates are incorporated therein. If so, and he knew of the allegations of abuse in 2015 and did not respond appropriately or in accordance with school policy, I suspect he could be fired.

The same may be true for the AD.

Reactions: nooutlet
Meyer released a statement today, saying he did know about the incident in 2015 and reported it to the AD. He said he wasn’t prepared to talk about it, when he was asked by the media and replied, saying he didn’t know about it. So, he basically confessed today that he lied to the reporter to dodge the question.

Interesting. I am not sure telling the AD exonerates Meyer the liar. Smith worked for him. Smith had a history at UF that Meyer knew. Letting Smith continue on staff is hard to fathom.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
It definitely would seem from the outside that it was more; this happened and we need to keep it quiet and make it go away as opposed to; this happened and we need to deal with it swiftly and harshly. I'm leaning Urban and the AD both gone now. Jmo

Let me clarify again, I don’t think Meyer is a good person, made the correct decision,
Etc....

My question is about him using the “I told the AD” to keep his job.

Original report implied that Meyer knew about the accusation, but didn’t do anything about it. It’s now looking like the AD knew everything.

Again, I believe Smith is guilty. Too much smoke to not have some fire. I also believe Meyer should have fired Smith much sooner.

But, it now looks like the AD knew the same details as Meyer. This will have more of a Penn St feel with multiple people going down.
That is his LAWYERS words not his! Do you really think in today's time that the board will keep him and face NATIONAL scrutiny... Espn just said (Jeremy Shapp) that he is in a more problematic place NOW... Than 24 hours ago...

Last edited:
That is his LAWYERS words not his! Do you really think in today's time that the board will keep him and face NATIONAL scrutiny... Espn just said (Jeremy Shapp) that he is in a more problematic place NOW... Than 24 hours ago...

I think they’re trying to make the AD the fall guy. As I stated above this will be more like Penn St with multiple people getting fired.

I can see how the independent committee comes back with “We think Smith should have been fired sooner, but Meyer did follow protocol by informing his AD and didn’t hide the accusation from the University.”

At end of day I think both go down, but Meyer will get most of his contract $.

OSU would be stupid to fire him as they won't win jack without him. I don't really think this is something I'd fire my football coach over, but in 2018 it is something that will most likely get him fired. Some lucky college will hit the jackpot with Meyer and OSU will take a big step back.

The AD may end up being the fall guy for this mess. At the least, nothing was kept from him and he’s a big part of the story.

I’m not sure Meyer can be fired with cause. (It doesn’t mean he made right decisions.) It will be tough for them to keep him. They’ll face too much backlash.

Meyer won’t be the last coach to get fired for this. I don’t think Izzo will be coaching at the start of the season. I was surprised he finished last season. This will put the public spotlight back on him keeping an assistant coach around after very similar issue.

I think they’re trying to make the AD the fall guy. As I stated above this will be more like Penn St with multiple people getting fired.

I can see how the independent committee comes back with “We think Smith should have been fired sooner, but Meyer did follow protocol by informing his AD and didn’t hide the accusation from the University.”

At end of day I think both go down, but Meyer will get most of his contract $.

This.^^^^^^. Fire the AD and save the franchise NC coach. AD’s are a dime a dozen. Championship caliber coaches are few and far between. TOSU will compromise their high and mighty moral position to keep Urban.

OSU has a tradition: (watch the whole vid to get to the relevance of today. The 1st part is just a bunch of yadda which, shirley, everyone knows).

Last edited:
I think OSU keeps the guy. Winning football coach is > than AD. They will catch some bad press for a little while but in the end it will be like Petrino and UofL. After a few months it will be a non-story for the most part unless someone in the media has a personal vendetta against the guy and just keeps it going. They are probably seeing right now how the media is going to portray it.

I suspect Meyer will be fired due to a breach of the Title IX provision added to his most recent contract. That provision specifically requires reporting regarding times before Meyer was even coach at OSU, so the timing of events is kind of irrelevant.

That provision also specifically requires him to report to the deputy Title IX Coordinator for Athletics any incidence of intimate violence that he has reasonable cause to believe may have taken place.

Meyer said in his statement today that he has always followed proper protocols when he learned of an incident and elevated the issue to the proper channels. What he did not say is “I told the deputy Title IX coordinator about this alleged incident of intimate violence that I had reasonable cause to believe had occurred.”

Meyer is in desperation mode and is trying to tie his fortunes to the AD who probably has a closer relationship to the board and administration at OSU. He is likely toast.

Reactions: UKvisitor
I suspect Meyer will be fired due to a breach of the Title IX provision added to his most recent contract. That provision specifically requires reporting regarding times before Meyer was even coach at OSU, so the timing of events is kind of irrelevant.

That provision also specifically requires him to report to the deputy Title IX Coordinator for Athletics any incidence of intimate violence that he has reasonable cause to believe may have taken place.

Meyer said in his statement today that he has always followed proper protocols when he learned of an incident and elevated the issue to the proper channels. What he did not say is “I told the deputy Title IX coordinator about this alleged incident of intimate violence that I had reasonable cause to believe had occurred.”

Meyer is in desperation mode and is trying to tie his fortunes to the AD who probably has a closer relationship to the board and administration at OSU. He is likely toast.

@Bluesnky - Curious to hear your thoughts after a few days have passed. Not trolling, but I like your posts.

As I stated last week, I didn't think OSU could stand the public scrutiny by keeping UM. Then, it looked like the AD would get tossed out with him.

Many now think UM will keep his job. The independent committee is about the best way OSU could've handled this situation. It'll be interesting to see the facts they reveal in a few days. Thanks in advance.

@Bluesnky - Curious to hear your thoughts after a few days have passed. Not trolling, but I like your posts.

As I stated last week, I didn't think OSU could stand the public scrutiny by keeping UM. Then, it looked like the AD would get tossed out with him.

Many now think UM will keep his job. The independent committee is about the best way OSU could've handled this situation. It'll be interesting to see the facts they reveal in a few days. Thanks in advance.
I don’t think anything has happened since he was placed on leave to make it more likely that he survives this. If anything he has made it worse.

The decision will ultimately lie with the university president. It’s very likely that the governing board will back him no matter what he decides. I don’t think he will want to be the person responsible for keeping a coach who doesn’t follow Title IX reporting requirements. It would hurt the university’s reputation.

The only thing that gives me pause is the two week term of the investigation. It doesn’t seem like a lot of time to be super thorough, but then again, it won’t take much time to gather the evidence to show that Meyer breached his contract.

Reactions: bballcat4
Meyer will say or do anything o try and keep his job. I don't believe anything he says.

Courtney Smith’s attorney said Smith would participate with the investigation, but that no one at OSU has ever contacted her. Seems the message in the statement is that it’s difficilt to imagine a real investigation that does not interview her.

I don’t think anything has happened since he was placed on leave to make it more likely that he survives this. If anything he has made it worse.

The decision will ultimately lie with the university president. It’s very likely that the governing board will back him no matter what he decides. I don’t think he will want to be the person responsible for keeping a coach who doesn’t follow Title IX reporting requirements. It would hurt the university’s reputation.

The only thing that gives me pause is the two week term of the investigation. It doesn’t seem like a lot of time to be super thorough, but then again, it won’t take much time to gather the evidence to show that Meyer breached his contract.
I think you have a pretty good read on it. I am mandated, due to my position, that I report any such matters to our Title IX Deputy (luckily, she is my boos, so no stretch there). I don't believe anywhere under Title IX law, does it state that telling your immediate supervisor is proper protocol. Meyer and Gene Smith should both be on the hot seat.

I don't think tOSU has any intentions of firing Meyer. They are finding a fall guy who is going to take the blame and retirement package that comes with it and he will retire.

Of course they don't. That's why they're doing investigations.

Meyer simply pivoted. He said he didn't know. We find out he did. So he pivoted. Comes out the AD knew. So Meyer pivoted and now said he knew and told the ad.

Meyer was caught lying and only changed his story when he found out his position was futile. Still, he will not be fired because it's osu

Meyer and his crew are growing ever more desperate, this weekend getting a local reporter to bite on a fake story about Tom Herman being responsible for tipping McMurphy, allegedly because Herman was angry that OSU landed a big time WR target from Texas. McMurphy states unequivocally that he was not tipped by Herman.

Kinda funny how much Meyer hates his old assistant. He put him on blast last fall for saying he didn’t have his guys in place yet at Texas.

From what I've read, IMO the whole thing is blown way out of proportion.

What parts of the "whole thing?" The claims of abuse? The pictures of bruises and cuts? The stalking allegations? The claim that Smith told Mrs. Meyer who said she would tell her husband? The claims that an HC is in charge of managing his personnel and building a culture of respect? What is blown "way out of proportion?"

Reactions: TeoJ
What parts of the "whole thing?" The claims of abuse? The pictures of bruises and cuts? The stalking allegations? The claim that Smith told Mrs. Meyer who said she would tell her husband? The claims that an HC is in charge of managing his personnel and building a culture of respect? What is blown "way out of proportion?"
He was never charged, much less arrested.

Has OSU interview Courtney Smith? Seems she is essential to this investigation.

I don't know about that. The OSU internal investigation is to determine whether Meyer did whatever he was supposed to do with whatever information he had. Courtney Smith was not an OSU employee, and none of the abuse is alleged to have happened on campus. And, she does not allege to have communicated with Meyer himself about any of it. If you think they should ask her about the abuse she suffered at the hands of her husband, I disagree.

I don't know about that. The OSU internal investigation is to determine whether Meyer did whatever he was supposed to do with whatever information he had. Courtney Smith was not an OSU employee, and none of the abuse is alleged to have happened on campus. And, she does not allege to have communicated with Meyer himself about any of it. If you think they should ask her about the abuse she suffered at the hands of her husband, I disagree.

Conducting a high profile nationally watched investigation about domestic violence without interviewing the alleged victim sounds stupid to me, but even if the interview was to determine who knew and when, she needs to be interviewed, as she has alleged communications with Urban’s wife.

If an HC’s wife says she will convey claims to her husband and then continues to check in to see how you are doing, I think you can expect that communication took place. Before his lie blew up, he denied such communication. After he was nabbed, he admitted it. Relying only on Urban and his wife for those facts is not a thorough investigation.

ADVERTISEMENT