ADVERTISEMENT

Will Cal's legacy be as good as that of Joe B. Hall?

Mar 30, 2022
Everybody knows the legacy of Joe B. Hall. He was Rupp's assistant and then became the head coach and won a title. Then he retired and became one of the Commonwealth's most popular guys. He even had a radio show with Denny Crum, that's how likeable he was. When he died this year he was mourned by UK fans across the nation. He was huge into fishing and was the nicest guy I ever had the opportunity to converse with.

When he was forcibly retired he didn't make any noise about it. He just played the cards he was dealt with class and grace. But he was and always will be a Kentucky Wildcat. He was all about the Big Blue, all the time.

Coach Cal has been gifted a lifetime contract. He may very well coach the rest of this decade. When his time is ended at UK, one way or another, how will he be remembered, how will he be treated? Does his propensity to put the university second or third in his list of priorities tarnish his legacy here in Kentucky? Will he move or will he stay? Is he truly a Kentucky Wildcat?

I don’t dislike cal the person, he’s actually a great ambassador for the program and in many ways his personality is perfect for the role. His visits and sharing of such with Joe B in his last days and embracing Joe B as a huge part of the BBN is a big example of that. Cal the coach however, I despise. I despise how he runs the program, coaches his teams, caters everything NBA, condescending attitude toward critics, favors his certain. Players, etc. the longer he stays, doubles downs and doesn’t change, and deteriorates the program even more than he has, he will become the most hated man in KY and no one will want him anywhere around the program and he can kiss that 1 million dollar a year ambassador to the program schtick goodbye….

begok will be remembered as the con man who quit his "day job" to become a social activist after his melt down with the 2015 UK team.

His wonderful UK record from 2010 to 2015 will be blurred by his decision to place UK wins and titles far down his list of importance, a distant priority.

begok will be remembered for spitting in the face of UK fans while coach--and placed below the peeboy who spit in the face of UK with his stint at the smell college of disgrace.

begok USED and abused barnie to garner a lifetime deal that allows the total destruction of the RUPP legacy and UK history by using his position to further his personal NEED to be recognized for helping others USE UK to achieve their ambitions at the EXPENSE of UK, UK history and UK fans.

rr

When I first read the question my first thought was no. To be fair Joe B. was disliked by much of the fanbase for about half the time he was here. It is difficult to say how fans will look back on Cal. Many of his detractors will be dead by the time history looks back on Cal. I think Cal is a decent man who has let too many things get in the way of coaching. Hall had better assistants and he let them coach.

As a long time UK fan I will say Hall's legacy will be a notch or two above Cal's. There is no way to tell where Cal's stay at UK goes from here. I truly believe it will be very difficult for him to recover from the past 2 years with respect to the fanbase.

Everybody knows the legacy of Joe B. Hall. He was Rupp's assistant and then became the head coach and won a title. Then he retired and became one of the Commonwealth's most popular guys. He even had a radio show with Denny Crum, that's how likeable he was. When he died this year he was mourned by UK fans across the nation. He was huge into fishing and was the nicest guy I ever had the opportunity to converse with.

When he was forcibly retired he didn't make any noise about it. He just played the cards he was dealt with class and grace. But he was and always will be a Kentucky Wildcat. He was all about the Big Blue, all the time.

Coach Cal has been gifted a lifetime contract. He may very well coach the rest of this decade. When his time is ended at UK, one way or another, how will he be remembered, how will he be treated? Does his propensity to put the university second or third in his list of priorities tarnish his legacy here in Kentucky? Will he move or will he stay? Is he truly a Kentucky Wildcat?
He stepped down after the loss to Syracuse in the 85 Sweet Sixteen. Wjat did I misss? I.E. Forcibly retired. I know Rupp was.

Hall’s biggest issue is that he followed Rupp.
Also Hall retired in 1985 after reaching the FF in 1984.

Next season will make 8 years since our last FF.

Triple C had the luxury of following BCG. People hang onto Triple C much longer because their afraid we end up with another BCG although Triple C’s record the last 2 seasons is worse than BCG’s 2.

Last edited:
When I first read the question my first thought was no. To be fair Joe B. was disliked by much of the fanbase for about half the time he was here. It is difficult to say how fans will look back on Cal. Many of his detractors will be dead by the time history looks back on Cal. I think Cal is a decent man who has let too many things get in the way of coaching. Hall had better assistants and he let them coach.

As a long time UK fan I will say Hall's legacy will be a notch or two above Cal's. There is no way to tell where Cal's stay at UK goes from here. I truly believe it will be very difficult for him to recover from the past 2 years with respect to the fanbase.
Now that;s the Doc I'm used to. Very fair and balanced.

Hall’s biggest issue is that he followed Rupp.

Triple C had the luxury of following BCG. People hang onto Triple C much longer because their afraid we end up with another BCG.
Some do. I just know that the fan pleasing coach is a figment of the imagination. I would like to see a younger, motivated coach, but I won't place him on a pedestal. Shame on me if I do.

If Rafters had been in place when Hall was coaching, the discussions would be somewhat like they are today. Especially in Hall’s last seasons. Much of the contention centered around style of play. In Hall’s case, it was “guards don’t shoot”. But in his defense, when your frontline is Bowie/Turpin/Walker, it was wise to run the offense through them as much as possible. (As a bonus, Joe B actually had set baseline inbounds plays and gave opponents multiple defensive looks)

I do admire what Joe B accomplished in succeeding Rupp. The 1975 Mideast Regional final win over undefeated Indiana ranks as one of my favorite UK wins.

Coach Hall was "one of us", a part of BBN. Coach Cal ... I just don't feel like he is family, at all, and is not a part of BBN. I honestly feel like he has some concerning antipathy toward the fanbase and I don't think, at this point, he will ever be remembered by BBN with fondness at all. Not that it had to be this way ... he seems to alienate himself from most people at some point. Sad really but I think he's burned bridges with BBN ... all of which was his doing and his choice.

sk73 you are correct, I never remember him being forced out, he went to a final four his next to last year, Cal hasn't been to one in seven years. Halls last 6 years look better than Cals and Joe caught more flak than Cals has so far. I don't think Cal will have as good a legacy as Hall did, Joe knew when it was time to go out and did so on his own decision. Joe was a Kentucky boy and coached with Rupp, that alone makes his special. Joe would also play a zone defense and had out of bounds plays, two more things he had Cal doesn't.

The answer to this question lies solely with Cal's ego and willingness to adapt. He has a chance to have a much better legacy, with respect to results, but it's going to take some adjustments. Adjustments that Cal has given us no evidence to suggest he will make up to this point. We'll see.

begok will be remembered as the con man who quit his "day job" to become a social activist after his melt down with the 2015 UK team.

His wonderful UK record from 2010 to 2015 will be blurred by his decision to place UK wins and titles far down his list of importance, a distant priority.

begok will be remembered for spitting in the face of UK fans while coach--and placed below the peeboy who spit in the face of UK with his stint at the smell college of disgrace.

begok USED and abused barnie to garner a lifetime deal that allows the total destruction of the RUPP legacy and UK history by using his position to further his personal NEED to be recognized for helping others USE UK to achieve their ambitions at the EXPENSE of UK, UK history and UK fans.

rr
Must have missed but what does begok stand for?

Very true, a lot of disdain for Hall during his last years. But, he knew when to quit. He always coached for UK first, no question about that. His ego would have fit inside of Cal’s lettuce nut’s ego. And he stayed supportive of the program until he passed. I don’t see the same ending for Cal. I could be totally off base of course. Time will tell.

sk73 you are correct, I never remember him being forced out, he went to a final four his next to last year, Cal hasn't been to one in seven years. Halls last 6 years look better than Cals and Joe caught more flak than Cals has so far. I don't think Cal will have as good a legacy as Hall did, Joe knew when it was time to go out and did so on his own decision. Joe was a Kentucky boy and coached with Rupp, that alone makes his special. Joe would also play a zone defense and had out of bounds plays, two more things he had Cal doesn't.
I go back to Rupp and NOBODY has caught as much flak as Cal. Not Hall, not Tubby not even BCG. Actually I don't remember a coach at any school taking as much crap as Cal is on this board. Joe B. was born a Wildcat, died one and will always be looked on more favorably than Cal no matter what Cal does the rest of his time here and rightly so.

Cal is a great person and does alot for Kentucky, example the Telethon for the Tornado victims, however his love for his players,players first attitude will ultimately be his dimise here IMO

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Cal will rightfully be remembered as a legendary coach for Kentucky one day as he should. Hell we all remember Tubby fondly and Cal’s overall body of work is much better.

Don’t remember what I called but I’ll take your word for it.

We spoke about 3 years ago I don’t know Something along those lines. I said I thought Cal was headed for a Hall legacy if he didn’t change off the OAD. Took the heat for it. We sort of discussed it. I just remember it for some reason and wanted to be the one.

Reactions: Aike
Cal will rightfully be remembered as a legendary coach for Kentucky one day as he should. Hell we all remember Tubby fondly and Cal’s overall body of work is much better.

It’s gonna take some time and it all depends on how it ends. I think there’s more to it than a blanket reaction. If Calipari won’t leave, continues to underperform, and we go on a serious drought over the next 6-10 years as a result then I don’t think he’ll ever be remembered fondly other than “those 5 years though”. Tubby only recovered because we ended up correcting the hire and built the brand back somewhat. The current state of social awareness right now also helps that along in ways. Simply out there is nothing to gain by not recognizing Tubby today. Why wouldn’t we honor his championship and hang a banner? We’re not having anything else right now.

Cal I don’t think is the same type of deal.

Joe B. was an extremely likeable man who always had time for the common fan...Cal couldn't give a pile of goose crap for his basketball bennies unless it padded his bank account...

To me honestly I think Cal is below Hall. I mean no disrespect to Hall with my above statement It just came off that way. I mean Cal’s ceiling was so far above what Hall accomplished Hall pretty much comes out on top as of now. Hall doesn’t have as many negatives and nearly, or pretty much, the same hardware.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
I go back to Rupp and NOBODY has caught as much flak as Cal. Not Hall, not Tubby not even BCG. Actually I don't remember a coach at any school taking as much crap as Cal is on this board. Joe B. was born a Wildcat, died one and will always be looked on more favorably than Cal no matter what Cal does the rest of his time here and rightly so.
You are right about he will always be looked at more favorably than Cal. I go back to Rupp too and when the coaches were introduced before the game there wasn't many cheers for Hall the last few years. Fans were always complaining about not letting the guards shoot enough and other things, social media wasn't around and I'm glad it wasn't but it would have been on that level that Cals experiencing.

Last edited:

Tubby is not quite fondly remembered, nor is Pitino, but that’s because there’s still some who debate their coaching careers here. Time heals all wounds and brings clarity.

In 6 eligible seasons, Pitino got 1 title and 3 final fours.

In 10 seasons, Tubby got 1 title.

In 13 seasons, Hall got 1 title and 3 final fours.

In 12+ eligible seasons, Cal has got 1 title and 4 final fours.

I think Cal will be remembered well, somewhere alongside Hall and Tubby, depending on how one weights those 2 bad seasons under Cal. But behind Rupp and Pitino, that is if he retires soon and doesn’t burn bridges on the way out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gromcat
You are right about he will always be looked at more favorably than Cal. I go back to Rupp too and when the coaches were introduced before the game there wasn't many cheers for Hall the last few years. Fans were always gripping about not letting the guards shoot enough and other things, social media wasn't around and I'm glad it wasn't but it would have been on that level that Cals experiencing.

Calipari told the fans that he doesn’t really care about winning, our traditions, or the fans. It’s about future NBA players.

And fans don’t like that and when he loses it’s a downside like we’ve never seen in a sport. No other coach talks like that as far as I’m aware.

How this is shocking to anyone is beyond me.

I imagine if social media had been around during Hall's time the memories might be a little different.

The losses in the early 80s do pUKe at Rupp, the MT and UAB in the Dance and then the 3/33 second half against Georgetown would have resulted in some brutal comments.

Reactions: Backer cutter
I imagine if social media had been around during Hall's time the memories might be a little different.

The losses in the early 80s do pUKe at Rupp, the MT and UAB in the Dance and then the 3/33 second half against Georgetown would have resulted in some brutal comments.
All true. It would have been brutal. But I never heard one word suggesting UK never came first. I’ve heard several during Cal’s tenure. Fans remember. No question who will be remembered for the best imo.

ADVERTISEMENT