ADVERTISEMENT

Will a new on-campus arena ever be a reality?

Our facilities are holding us back. We need something new, large, plush and on campus.

I mean, how is it holding us back? Are we not attracting the top talent in the country? Rupp could definitely use the renovation that was planned a few years ago but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's holding us back. Care to explain that? Just curious.

Facilities are definitely not holding us back at all. We'd all love to see Rupp get a major renovation or even a new arena downtown. On campus doesn't mean anything. It would benefit both to stay downtown.

Reactions: Blueaz and ORCAT
Yeah, not sure how it's holding us back at all. We still get the best recruits in the nation and Rupp has gradually been having some big upgrades in it with more expected to come and is filled to capacity nearly every game with that being around 24,000 quite often. What more would a new fancy arena on campus give us other than a major bill to pay for? I'd love a new on campus arena, if it were ever financially possible, but not sure I understand your reasoning.

Reactions: d2atTech
With the way the Yum Center has tanked and has to be bailed out, you can bet no one will vote for a new arena in Lexington unless it is built from private money. So not only has UL screwed its own city, they got to screw Lexington as well. Not that they will care about that one bit.

Reactions: brianpoe and G-PIP
With the way the Yum Center has tanked and has to be bailed out, you can bet no one will vote for a new arena in Lexington unless it is built from private money. So not only has UL screwed its own city, they got to screw Lexington as well. Not that they will care about that one bit.
Yum center tanked for other reasons. The UL corruption never gave it a chance. There's no chance UK will get involved in the type of deal that doomed the Yum center.

What top-tier program has a nicer arena than Rupp? Allen Fieldhouse, Pauley Pavilion and Cameron Indoor aside. Those are better IMO but mostly due to history and intimacy -- two things we gave up on when we left Memorial and you're certainly not going to fix with a new arena.

Basically only Louisville ... and who really cares.

Reactions: TravisKY
Not gonna be in my lifetime. Not sure what it's holding us back from. Year in and year out we are top class of recruiting. It's slow now so everyone has to try and talk about something.

I remember hearing how Commonwealth's improvements didn't help the masses, but the ones who already were most comfortable.

I think you replace Rupp upper level with real seats and you've improved the experience for a lot of folks. Are they expecting a decrease in capacity once the chairbacks come in?

When Matt Jones is elected to congress, he will quickly move up the ranks because of his Duke Law School ties. He will become the chairman of the Ways and Means Appropriations Committee. He will then have the ways and means to appropriate federal funds for an on-campus arena as part of an infrastructure improvement bill. This bill could also include funds to put a roof on CWS and to produce postage stamps of former great Cats

Holding us back. Lmao.

Rupp is a legendary arena and this is COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

Funny some people find this so important while the 3 best programs of late in college basketball are UK, DUKE, **UNC.

Rupp
Cameron
Dead Dome.

If we all only had the fedex forum cal would have accepted UK's offer.

Wonder what it would have been like.

Funny some people find this so important while the 3 best programs of late in college basketball are UK, DUKE, **UNC.

I certainly don't wish to get into a pee pee contest, but I DO like to approach life without the blue-tinted glasses. To that end, I would respectfully beg to differ with your assessment of the "3 best programs of late."

Over the course of the past 10 years, Duke, UNC and UCONN have each won 2 national titles. We've won one, as has Kansas, Louisville and Villanova. Louisville's title is more recent than ours, as is Villanova's, as is one of UCONN's, as is one of Duke's, as is one of UNC's. I would say that our "of late" success has us in the top 6 ... at best.

I certainly don't wish to get into a pee pee contest, but I DO like to approach life without the blue-tinted glasses. To that end, I would respectfully beg to differ with your assessment of the "3 best programs of late."

Over the course of the past 10 years, Duke, UNC and UCONN have each won 2 national titles. We've won one, as has Kansas, Louisville and Villanova. Louisville's title is more recent than ours, as is Villanova's, as is one of UCONN's, as is one of Duke's, as is one of UNC's. I would say that our "of late" success has us in the top 6 ... at best.

If you are arguing that UK is not one of the top 3 programs of late then I won't even respond past this. Uconn? Are you serious? They can't even get into the dance. UK has had 4 final fours and win a title in the last 8. Yes, that's top 3 "of late".

And you didn't even attack my argument against your post. Does Duke need a new on campus arena?

Would cal have left Memphis if WE had the FedEx forum?

Uconn. Lmao.

They are already contemplating firing their version of Tubby. But they're "too 3" of late. Lmao.

Reactions: brianpoe
So close..yet so far. Doubt you're fooling anyone at this point following that last response.

giphy.gif

That is some weird reasoning. UL and Nova are ahead us bc they won their titles a year and four years after ours? I get people being wrapped up in titles, but come on. Top 6 at best? Would you really trade our success for UL or Nova's run?

7 posts and all, having a "trolling feel"; of course you don't have blue tinted glasses...or you are cut-nets in disguise.
you love the ACC and UL "more recent" trophy...
ignore
AND SUGGEST EVERYONE ELSE TO DO THE SAME AND DON'T FEED THE TROLL

Part of the plan by JIM HOST and his boys from the beginning!

Reactions: brianpoe and awf
If you are arguing that UK is not one of the top 3 programs of late then I won't even respond past this. Uconn? Are you serious? They can't even get into the dance. UK has had 4 final fours and win a title in the last 8. Yes, that's top 3 "of late".

And you didn't even attack my argument against your post. Does Duke need a new on campus arena?

Would cal have left Memphis if WE had the FedEx forum?

I mean you no disrespect. However, facts are facts. Since we won our title in 1998 ...

* UCONN has won 4 championships ...
* Duke has won 3 championships ...
* UNC has won 3 championships ...
* AND, Florida has won 2 championships ...

Meanwhile, we added only one more.

Are you satisfied with those results? I'm not. Assuming we have the top coach in the game handling the recruiting, our facilities MUST be a factor in our results. Hence, I feel a new, plush arena located on campus would be of help. It's simply one individual's opinion.

I mean you no disrespect. However, facts are facts. Since we won our title in 1998 ...

Are you satisfied with those results? I'm not. Assuming we have the top coach in the game handling the recruiting, our facilities MUST be a factor in our results. Hence, I feel a new, plush arena located on campus would be of help. It's simply one individual's opinion.

That is a stupid opinion based on absolutely nothing. If recruiting were suffering then I could MAYBE understand the reasoning. But we all know that Calipari is recruiting at an historic level.

13535414.jpg

Reactions: morgousky and Aike
Stop moving the goal post. I'm not going to debate positions attatched by velcro

Moving from Rupp to an on-campus arena isolated in the middle of a big parking lot near Commonwealth Stadium would destroy the game experience for me. No immediately adjacent hotels, bars, restaurants to build the electric atmosphere. No tailgating in frigid December, January and February. Drive to the game, park, attend the game, drive home from the game. Bores me to tears just thinking about it.

Overall resume...stop living in the past...who has had the best decade currently...uk, no one else comes close. Obvious troll is obvious. Weird he picks a certain time frame that cuts off another dominant UK decade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT