ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita State releases recruit to Memphis

Mar 9, 2015
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wichit...s-coach-penny-hardaway-memphis-032324084.html
Kinda shocked they did this and I can't believe it went over well when he went home to that evil screaming she-demon lol. Funny thing, in the article it mentions Wiseman and 5 star Lawson as well as D.J Jeffries saying they are all expected to join Penny at Memphis. Can't say I would be shocked if they do all join him although I wonder how his coaching will translate to the college ranks

29432184_10214539575475923_8688011527413825536_n.jpg

giphy.gif

Whoa. Hard to predict what a teenager will do these days though. I was going to say, "But Jefferies already committed to UK" but Lomax had already committed to Wichita St., so who knows?

D.J. Is close to Penny it would seem . At the time he committed I’m sure he knew Penny to Memphis would most likely happen . So if he planned to play for Penny why would he have committed to Kentucky .

I can’t see him decommitting

I agree...unless it was to make Memphis look valuable by decommitting from UK to go to Memphis. Marketing

Reactions: shaudyshaud
D.J. Is close to Penny it would seem . At the time he committed I’m sure he knew Penny to Memphis would most likely happen . So if he planned to play for Penny why would he have committed to Kentucky .

I can’t see him decommitting

I think I saw somewhere that either DJ himself or his dad said Penny to Memphis made no difference to them. They we're committed 100% to UK. And this was after the hire too

Reactions: UKvisitor and BBUK
Gotta give Marshall some credit here. Most coaches drag players through the mud when spurned for another school, much less one in their own conference. It seems he's not as big a doushebag as we'd originally suspected.

I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me worry about Jeffries and Wiseman.

Reactions: ekywildcat
If Cal cannot keep Jefferies, he needs to resign (beat some lunatic poster to it)

From the outside looking in, I'd say Jeffries is gone. Once Penny gets things going there, other recruits will be influencing his decision great, I assume.

Totally different situation with Jeffries

but this is a very unique situation where a young man’s mentor and coach since the fifth grade has become a Division I head coach. Allowing him out of his NLOI without any kind of penalty is the right thing to do at this time.”

Jeffries knew Penny to Memphis was likely when he committed to UK. Wouldn't make sense to know that then commit to UK and then de-commit and go to Memphis.

Although, as we all know, 18 year olds do crazy, irrational things at times so who knows what will happen?

There is a key difference that is being ignored. The kid that decommitted from Wichita St has known Penny most of his life. Jeffries and Wiseman have only known him a year. In fact, Wiseman has a much longer relationship with Joel Justice than he does with Penny. Jefferies and Wiseman have wanted to play for Cal and UK longer than they’ve known Penny, and neither of them are from Memphis. I’m not worried at all about Cal losing these two to Memphis.

friendship and winning don't always go hand in hand. Penny could end up being worse than Tubby as far as coaching/winning. Lot of difference between AAU and college. Nothing proven

Reactions: jace2012
friendship and winning don't always go hand in hand. Penny could end up being worse than Tubby as far as coaching/winning. Lot of difference between AAU and college. Nothing proven
Proven not given. Wait, Earned not proven. No that's not right.....

Let me check Brad's chest and get back to you.

Reactions: Blueisbest
From the outside looking in, I'd say Jeffries is gone. Once Penny gets things going there, other recruits will be influencing his decision great, I assume.
Why would any parent send their child to a guy who has ONE year of hs coaching experience...makes zero sense to me.

Nobody here knows what ultimately will happen. Saying that this guy or that guy will be here may make you feel good, but it doesn't mean it is true. We certainly can hope, but typical for Kentucky fans, it is often a waiting game to see what does happen in reality. I certainly recall everyone here (and don't say otherwise you know it's true) talking about Zion Williamson being our big recruit.

maybe DJ and Wiseman are thinking about their future. Lets see play for a coach that has put how many OAD"s in the NBA or play for a high school coach. No brainer for me and my son he would go to UK

Wait until Penny demonstrates what is already known to anyone with a brain -- coaching at the high D-1 level is not the same as coaching Middle school or AAU ball. That kid will wish he were at Wichita State and Jeffries and Wiseman will be happy to be playing for the best coach at preparing kids for the NBA in history.

Didn't Frank Martin take the same route to D1 Coaching? I'm not a Penny fan by any means, but I do think if he gets talent, he can win against most teams just by playing AAU style ball (press and run).

Before any 5-Star recruits starts committing to Memphis. They might want to ask 5-Star recruits that turned UK down for lesser basketball programs. Players DeAndre Ayton, Mohamad Bamba, & Trae Young. Ask them how are they enjoying the NCAA tournament. Then ask them how are they enjoying watching Kentucky advance deep into the tournament. While their season is over.

I agree...unless it was to make Memphis look valuable by decommitting from UK to go to Memphis. Marketing
Happens more than you might think. Kirby does this to schools all the time. Not saying Jeffries is definitely going to decommit or anything, but it wouldn't shock me in this instance.

Anyone still on the "No way wiseman would go to Memphis bandwagon"? @GonzoCat90

I'd respond, but you've proven to be incapable of actual discussion the last few times any of us have bothered.

You're also incapable of fairly representing my position on the topic. I haven't seen anyone credible say there's no way Wiseman would go to Memphis.

I don't know what happened to you or what's going on personally, but I hope you get it sorted out man.

I'd respond, but you've proven to be incapable of actual discussion the last few times any of us have bothered.

You're also incapable of fairly representing my position on the topic. I haven't seen anyone credible say there's no way Wiseman would go to Memphis.

I don't know what happened to you or what's going on personally, but I hope you get it sorted out man.
I think UK can still get wiseman, but I've seen you give Penny no/very little shot to land wiseman. I liked your off base tangent though.

Hardly seems likely Penny gets the job if admin feels they have NO shot at Wiseman but maybe there are others in the pipeline.

Don't think there are two many for sure or likely OADs that give a rat's ass about how far they advance in a NCAA tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT