ADVERTISEMENT

Why the recent bad luck?

CarolinaCatsFan

Sophomore
Sep 14, 2015
We miss out on several top recruits ...

Lose 4 games in a row ...

And now Ben Roberts is reporting that talk is heating up that Penny Hardaway may coach in college .. not for us — but either Ole Miss or Memphis — And would take Wiseman and DJ Jeffries with him.

I swear that would be near back-breaking to still be stuck with the same staff - not add Penny - AND miss out on two more of our top targets...

Last edited:
We miss out on several top recruits ...

Lose 4 games in a row ...

And now Ben Roberts is reporting that talking is heating up that Penny Hardaway may coach in college .. not for us — but either Ole Miss or Memphis — And would take Wiseman and DJ Jeffries with him.

I swear that would be near back-breaking to still be stuck with the same staff - not add Penny - AND miss out on two more of our top targets...

Flat out sucky time right now. What we have Com ing in next year isn't enough unless we can add Montgomery and another from somewhere.

Has Vitale gone on tv blasting Memphis for not building a statue for Tubby Smith?

Reactions: LordEgg
Law of averages is taking effect. The reality is our current run was unsustainable due to a multitude of factors ranging from high turnover to changing tastes from the newer gen of recruits. You gotta remember kids aren't the same and they were even just a few short years ago.
You gotta be able to adapt and change with the times which is extremely hard on the mind and body given the sport. Look at coach, UK is taking it's toll lol, very similar aging process as what you see in the POTUS

Reactions: morgousky
Law of averages is taking effect. The reality is our current run was unsustainable due to a multitude of factors ranging from high turnover to changing tastes from the newer gen of recruits. You gotta remember kids aren't the same and they were even just a few short years ago.
You gotta be able to adapt and change with the times which is extremely hard on the mind and body given the sport. Look at coach, UK is taking it's toll lol, very similar aging process as what you see in the POTUS
Unsustainable?

We've been winning for 80 years ya know...

Unsustainable?

We've been winning for 80 years ya know...

Absolutely..which is why we are college basketball.

I'm comparing the splash of the beginning of Cal's tenure to our situation now. It's the truth. Those first several years were straight fire.

Things happen in cycles,we were in position to win 2 or 3 more NCAA championships in the latest run,we didn't do it.Those chances don't come year after year for long periods of time unless you are UCLA in the late 60's and early 70's

Last edited:
Wiseman is only one recruit

Jefferies is only one recruit

One recruits don’t matter just like losing one game don’t matter. We are ok
Maybe so, but at some point in time something has to matter,right now winning a game should really matter to this team. I wonder how much it does matter to them?

Reactions: willievic
Maybe so, but at some point in time something has to matter,right now winning a game should really matter to this team. I wonder how much it does matter to them?

With how half our fan base defended Tubby and BCG up until the bitter end... and how the same people think we're hunky dory this season.... I have to question if basketball matters to BBN anymore

Reactions: willievic
Wouldn't be surprised to see APH added to TOS' staff at Memphis but as an assistant in waiting.

Doubt they're going to just hand him the reigns with -zero- collegiate experience...but the recruiting results be the same.

Man, Penny has got to be loving this. He has suddenly become the answer to Ole Miss, Kentucky, & Memphis' problems.

Wouldn't be surprised to see APH added to TOS' staff at Memphis but as an assistant in waiting.

Doubt they're going to just hand him the reigns with -zero- collegiate experience...but the recruiting results be the same.

They wont do that. Tubby is already being talked about as a buy out. Memphis will actually save money by ending it.

They have a good chance at needing a good coach this year, and definitely by next year. Tubby has already conceded he's done, his comments last week were a reflection of that. This was just a cash grab before retirement. He never intended on trying to win at Memphis.

I guess it could happen, but it doesn't make much sense. Penny doesn't want to be an assistant at Memphis and I doubt the next coach wants Penny Hardaway eyeing his job from day one. Not to mention the fans that would be calling for Penny every time they lost a game.

We should have won more then one Championship in the last 8 years. I don't believe in my lifetime we will ever have another 8 straight years where we had the No. 1 recruiting class, by one or both, of Rivals or Scout. I hope not, but it appears our run of being the top dog in recruiting is over.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Missing out on Wiseman and Jeffries would be devastating to the 2019 class.UK would be "ok". That's great if you want to be "ok", kinda like this year.

ADVERTISEMENT