ADVERTISEMENT

Why recruit any player that can't dribble, pass, or shoot?

We need to re-haul our recruiting staff...end of story. We've gotten so many head scratching kids the last 4 years since Antigua left staff it's like are you watching these kids play or just clicking on an internet page to see who is rated highest. Slice was the start of this crap and now Justice/Barbee, etc..it's a bad trend.

- Murray (at last second) Briscoe, Wynyard, Skal, Humphries, Matthews and Mulder class...WTH is that?
- Fox, Monk, Bam Gabriel, SKJ ...really good class up top
- Diallo, PJ, Vanderbilt, Green, Shai, Richards...

It's like when we miss on our top kids...we panic and get the next highest rated kid no matter what as long as he's a 5 star.
- Trae Young whif...then we revert to Quade Green (who I am still trying to see what is unique about his skill set).
- We had an open spot last year and took Diallo on a flyer....but we didn't really go after top kids to replace Monk and assumed it was Diallo. Huge mis-evalaution of his talent.
- We miss on Zimmerman, Check Diallo, etc.. and instead of getting Thomas Bryant we stick on Skal and Wynyard, Humphries? Who did that evaluation?
- We missed on Bridges, Tatum, etc.. and revert to Wenyen? I love the kid's motor but he's sort of like Hami...no skill kid

We need to completely re-haul the assistants...they are offering nothing to Cal in recruiting right now.
Getting Murray late saved us from having a season worse than this one.

Cal made a major mistake going to a strategy of selling UK as "not for everyone" and offering very few kids and not until very late. He was trying to sell exclusivity and it has backfired 2/3 years.

Though he also never coached at Kentucky when the SEC was the best conference in basketball

That's debatable, Kentucky has been getting everybody's best shot for the last 60 years. Tubbys teams were no different. Until the SEC proves it's self in the post season more that doesn't hold up.

That's debatable, Kentucky has been getting everybody's best shot for the last 60 years. Tubbys teams were no different. Until the SEC proves it's self in the post season more that doesn't hold up.
Last year wasn't bad for the league brand...

What is your definition of a good shooter? If it is what I think it is, then that is a ridiculous expectation. In order to even come close you would have to recruit players who have no business playing here.

Think you need 2 or 3 of the very best shooters in the class that are consistently good shooters. The others can be guys like Hawkins for instance that would be solid. Able to handle and defend but not be a liability when left open.

Who says the SEC is the BEST conference? RPI Conference rankings has them at 3rd. Eye test does show them way better than they’ve been, but so what? Isn’t that what you want? Does Cal get a pass because the SEC doesn’t suck ass this year?
Beat the previous best conferece, the Big 12, head to head.

On a serious note, you obviously need a balance on a roster. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist couldn’t really dibble, pass or shoot either (his NBA career pretty much bears this out ...).

But he was surrounded in 2012 by players (Teague, Lamb, Miller, Jones, etc.) who could.
He did score off penetration and could finish through contact though. He also rebounded outside his area and was arguably the best defender we've had here. He was essentially our version of Dennis Rodman for that team. He didnall the dirty work and was the motor.

I get what you're saying though.

▪ For all the criticism of Tubby Smith, he also never had a four-game losing streak in his 10 seasons in charge of UK’s program.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/coll...tball-men/article200201494.html#storylink=cpy
tenor.gif

I just want to say that not only would I take Bird over Diallo.

I would take McHale over PJ.
Dennis Johnson over Knox.
Robert Parish over Richards.
Danny Ainge over Shai.

I just think about the best team I ever witnessed would take our Cats. That is me.

I would also take 83 Sixers, 87 Lakers, and 96 Bulls.

Or the 98 Cats.

Reactions: awf
To me, 10 players on the roster should be good to very good shooters and fundamentally sound on defense and decision making. Need 1 great shot blocker/rebounder and a decent back up for him and a lock down defender out front. Just don't get the lack of concern recruiting shooters.

Would you email Cal and tell him which 10 that would be. Or, maybe you are talking about future recruiting, in which case if he hasn't gotten the message by now, an email won't do any good.

Cal needs to sit them all down & say "You guys suck & not one of you needs to even sniff the NBA".
This is college; not reform school. You can't tell a player he's staying. You can discipline and sit, but you can not dictate a players decision. We have no idea what has and hasn't been said. I do a little armchair coaching myself now and then. Your avatar seems at odds with your comments. :smiley:

Reactions: awf
Nope...but they have "players"! Shai might be the only "player" we actually have.

You don't have to have all 5 star players to be a good team. Players who are willing to give 100%, 100% of the time are great to start with. Players who have good basics, and are willing to listen to their coach is very important. Coaches who are willing to put a players A$$ on the bench if he isn't doing what you want is very important. Coaches who are willing to change if something isn't working, which the "Dribble Throw It Up," isn't with this bunch. Even Coach Rupp, who hated zone defenses, changed and used a zone defense sometimes in his later years of coaching.
We all know Pearl lied about a barbecue, and a lot of UK fans don't like him, in fact, a lot of UK fans don't like any coach, except the one at UK, but the man can motivate and coach. I look at what players a coach has to work with, and how he does with them, especially if he doesn't have a bunch of 5 stars, to judge if he is a good coach.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: Jim Sauer
You don't have to have all 5 star players to be a good team. Players who are willing to give 100%, 100% of the time are great to start with. Players who have good basics, and are willing to listen to their coach is very important. Coaches who are willing to put a players A$$ on the bench if he isn't doing what you want is very important. Coaches who are willing to change if something isn't working, which the "Dribble Throw It Up," isn't with this bunch. Even Coach Rupp, who hated zone defenses, changed and used a zone defense sometimes in his later years of coaching.
We all know Pearl lied about a barbecue, and a lot of UK fans don't like him, in fact, a lot of UK fans don't like any coach, except the one at UK, but the man can motivate and coach. I look at what players a coach has to work with, and how he does with them, especially if he doesn't have a bunch of 5 stars, to judge if he is a good coach.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
As long as Pearl is coach at Auburn they will be in the thick of the race for SEC champs. They are now a real player

On a serious note, you obviously need a balance on a roster. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist couldn’t really dibble, pass or shoot either (his NBA career pretty much bears this out ...).

But he was surrounded in 2012 by players (Teague, Lamb, Miller, Jones, etc.) who could.
Totally agree. The younger players do better when they don't have to be something they're not. The absence of veteran leaders have made things worse by forcing younger players to play outside their skill level.

ADVERTISEMENT