ADVERTISEMENT

Why no injury update on Derek Willis

dancerman4

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2004
It is now early on Monday morning in Lexington. The BBN is the most loyal fan base in America. I am amazed that there has not been an official statement issued by the team regarding the extent of Derek's ankle injury. There is no doubt that an x-ray has been done on his ankle by now. Is it just a sprain, a high ankle sprain, is it broken ? Given the loyalty and support the fans give to the team, it just seems to me that the loyalty should be returned in kind, and that the fans should get to know the extent of Derek's injury and how long before he will be able before he can possibly play again.

KSR will lead off the show with injury updates per Matt Jones

I saw the photos of his ankle yesterday. No where however did I ever see any official statement saying it was just a sprain, and that it was not broken.

It's impossible to really know until the swelling goes down and he can do some sort of activity. Even if that's just standing up or light walking.

Reactions: Bkocats
Here's the update

ZD7v5rZ.jpg

Reactions: Stonewall12
Tom Leach said this morning that having the sprain so badly swollen, was a good thing. He said that that meant it wasn't a high ankle sprain and should heal quicker.

Said possibly both play Saturday. Maybe not, but doubtful it will be as bad as some of the esteemed medical minds on this board have said.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
MJ just mentioned on KSR he's hearing Willis will not play tomorrow night vs. Bama, but targeting to have him ready to go @ Vandy this weekend.

If Willis plays this weekend then someone on the UK basketball medical staff needs a job at the Mayo clinic. Be amazing to have him out there in a tough road environment.

If he plays Saturday, you have to wonder how well he can cut/move, let alone elevate on jumpers.

MJ just mentioned on KSR he's hearing Willis will not play tomorrow night vs. Bama, but targeting to have him ready to go @ Vandy this weekend.
If this happens I will be pleasantly surprised.

well it's not like he's out there doing much more than getting rebounds and shooting jumpers anyway. He's not the quickest and most mobile guy UK throws on the court, so if anyone could get away with being a little limited with mobility it's probably him.

Right. When the team's playing defense, Willis has got one of those stools-on-a-stick that British punters use at the track. Willis goes over in a corner and reads back issues of Field & Stream until it's time to change ends of the court.

We can maybe get by without him at home tomorrow but I think he will play Saturday. Most of that swelling will go down by then. Im sure lots of ice/Epson salt is in his future. It no doubt going to bother him the rest of the year regardless. Mine still swell up on me on occasion but then again im not an elite athlete with elite training staff

Reactions: JustinSphere
MJ just said that he's hearing BOTH Derek and Alex could be back by Saturday.

Tom Leach said this morning that having the sprain so badly swollen, was a good thing. He said that that meant it wasn't a high ankle sprain and should heal quicker.

Just from personal experience, the worst sprains I've had did NOT swell much. My swollen ankles did tend to heal pretty quickly, while I had a couple of very painful ones that kept me out from any sports for 6-8 weeks.

Reactions: Aike
I'll believe it when I see it, but I said it before...Derek will play again before Alex.
I disagree . I think Poythress is almost a lock to play saturday as he has been doing stuff in practice for a week now while Derek can't even walk basically today until swelling goes down. WE need one of them to play Saturday to win IMO . I will take either . Willis at worst is back for UF I bet.

Just from personal experience, the worst sprains I've had did NOT swell much. My swollen ankles did tend to heal pretty quickly, while I had a couple of very painful ones that kept me out from any sports for 6-8 weeks.
I'll say it again. Hope he is a speedy healer.

Yep.

Getting him back before the NCAA's is a really big plus, especially if he's actually 100% by then. He's the key in opening up the lane for our guards to shoot. He really changes everything about how you have to defend us. In my opinion, while Tyler is what makes us go, Derek is pivotal in having any shot at the Final Four. I really like our chances if we are healthy.

We get Poythress back and he can check UNC's big boy. We've got a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT