ADVERTISEMENT

Why is UK the only team that needs "fixed"?

Calipari said on his coaches show Monday night that we all needed to relax, that the problems this team has can be "fixed"? Well, I've watched a lot of college basketball over the last week and a half and of the elite schools only Kentucky seems to be having real problems. UNC, Dook, Baylor, Kansas, Arizona, Arkansas, etc. all seem to be playing pretty well and most if not all of those teams did not have a summer trip with extra practice time. Some have more freshmen than UK and much less experience(Arkansas for instance).

I'm just tired of the supposedly "gold standard" program in college basketball not being able to win marquee games against quality opponents. All while our peers seem to be doing just fine. Far be it for me to agree with Matt Jones about anything but, this is just unacceptable for Kentucky Basketball. Who gives a rat's ass about beating South Carolina State or Howard? Those are B/S. games against garbage opponents. This crap has to stop!

You left out the part about him saying we are behind because Oscar and Wheeler were hurt so there are things that need fixing and it will get fixed now that they are completely back.

Reactions: kl40504
We need to relax? Cal needs to get mad and walk the walk! Work harder and smarter and win some friggin games.

You left out the part about him saying we are behind because Oscar and Wheeler were hurt so there are things that need fixing and it will get fixed now that they are completely back.
He also said Oscar didn't know the plays. Same Oscar that was POY in college basketball last year. Other players were quoted as saying they rarely run the plays Calipari calls for. Lots of contradictory stuff being said. Maybe he could start with fixing that?

Where would UK be ranked right now if we played the schedule UNC has played so far? Serious question!
UNCheat is ranked #1 because of everyone they returned from last years National Runner-Up team. They started the year near the top. Kansas is ranked below them because they lost more.
We would probably be ranked 2nd or 3rd if we played the same schedule UNCheat has played. Teams are being rewarded for playing...and beating...good competition early. Rightfully so.
However, my opinion is that polls don't mean a lot till you get to early February. Even so, it's a cumulative thing. You can't lose all your OOC games against good teams and expect to make your way to a #1 seed by beating SEC cellar-dwellers. That's why we need to start winning the pre-season games.

Not a good post. You haven't been following college bball much. Here is one headline just to make the point:

UNC's Hubert Davis: There are a number of areas that need to be changed

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article268806567.html#storylink=cpy
Nothing wrong with my post whatsoever.
You think Davis is going to publicly tell sportswriters his team is great and doesn't need to work on anything? Knowing full well his comments would get back to his team? Lol!

You think Davis is going to publicly tell sportswriters his team is great and doesn't need to work on anything? Knowing full well his comments would get back to his team? Lol!

The point is that UNC is struggling to put away the cupcakes. A look at their stats shows that at number 1 they are vastly over ranked right now: (They may well get better but if they played our schedule they would have 2 losses right now as well.)

• Field Goal %
    98th
    47.1 FG%
  • 3-point %
    315th
    28.8 3P%
  • Points Scored
    290th
    323 Pts
  • Total Rebounds
    118th
    38.5 RPG

The point is that UNC is struggling to put away the cupcakes. A look at their stats shows that at number 1 they are vastly over ranked right now: (They may well get better but if they played our schedule they would have 2 losses right now as well.)

• Field Goal %
    98th
    47.1 FG%
  • 3-point %
    315th
    28.8 3P%
  • Points Scored
    290th
    323 Pts
  • Total Rebounds
    118th
    38.5 RPG
Im curious what are our stats comparativel?

• Field Goal %
    98th
    47.1 FG%
  • 3-point %
    56th
    38.3 3P%
  • Points Scored
    22nd
    523 Pts
  • Total Rebounds
    26th
    42.2 RPG
I do tealize the cup cake games inflated the stats but I gues UNC had cupcake games as well. But they did beat there tough compitition.

I do tealize the cup cake games inflated the stats but I gues UNC had cupcake games as well. But they did beat there tough compitition.

Admittedly, the stats may be misleading in some ways. But, UNC has barely beaten some teams that they should have buried, has yet to play a ranked opponent, and Hubert has publicly said the team has issues that need to be fixed.

My point is that UK is not the only blueblood with issues. It doesn't excuse Cal to say that but this thread compared us to other bluebloods and the OP tried to say that only UK is struggling. That simply isn't true.

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
The excuses by the Cal cult are hilarious.

I obviously want to see us win a championship over anything else, but a very small consolation prize would be seeing what kinds of mental gymnastics these people would go to to defend Calipari if he left in the next couple of years without another title. So far, the last quarter of his UK career hasn’t seen a tournament win. That is *laughable*. I’m just curious what kind of metric the cult could use to turn that into some sign of success.

There's just no excuse for losing to MSU and starting out horrid against Gonzaga. We probably lose to the Zags anyway but no way should this team come out timid against anyone. That's on the coach.

I obviously want to see us win a championship over anything else, but a very small consolation prize would be seeing what kinds of mental gymnastics these people would go to to defend Calipari if he left in the next couple of years without another title. So far, the last quarter of his UK career hasn’t seen a tournament win. That is *laughable*. I’m just curious what kind of metric the cult could use to turn that into some sign of success.
I dont read any excuses but I do see an attempt at perspective. I understand the doubt and disappointment Cal has created and he deserves it. But acting like this team has no chance to make a run in the tourney based on a double overtime lose and an away game loss to a top five team is ludicrous. you dont have to support Cal as a fan but while the team is beginning this years journey maybe you could support them.

Calipari said on his coaches show Monday night that we all needed to relax, that the problems this team has can be "fixed"? Well, I've watched a lot of college basketball over the last week and a half and of the elite schools only Kentucky seems to be having real problems. UNC, Dook, Baylor, Kansas, Arizona, Arkansas, etc. all seem to be playing pretty well and most if not all of those teams did not have a summer trip with extra practice time. Some have more freshmen than UK and much less experience(Arkansas for instance).

I'm just tired of the supposedly "gold standard" program in college basketball not being able to win marquee games against quality opponents. All while our peers seem to be doing just fine. Far be it for me to agree with Matt Jones about anything but, this is just unacceptable for Kentucky Basketball. Who gives a rat's ass about beating South Carolina State or Howard? Those are B/S. games against garbage opponents. This crap has to stop!
Why is UK the only team that needs to be "fixed"? You might ask the "Hall of Fame" coach.

• Haha
Reactions: Blueworld_3.0

Just to point out that UNC goes down to an unranked (but pretty good) Iowa St team!

They didn’t lose, they were dominated, road or not they were crushed that entire game. We shouldn’t have lost to State but we did, I can take at least being competitive all game. Now if that happened against Gonzaga I wouldn’t be as worried but we have to win some games. 59% against good teams isn’t close to what we deserve. We should be around 75% against the top 25. Take a road loss here and there but always in the game. We haven’t been close the past 6 years outside 1 month last year.
This!

Yep, Purdue, the same team that just dominated Duke, another blueblood that don't need no fixin.
Purdue is going to be a problem for everyone they play this year. That team reminds me of UK's 2012 squad. A game changer in the middle, good 3-point shooting and they flat out play some defense. Purdue is a fun team to watch play.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
UNCheat is ranked #1 because of everyone they returned from last years National Runner-Up team. They started the year near the top. Kansas is ranked below them because they lost more.
We would probably be ranked 2nd or 3rd if we played the same schedule UNCheat has played. Teams are being rewarded for playing...and beating...good competition early. Rightfully so.
However, my opinion is that polls don't mean a lot till you get to early February. Even so, it's a cumulative thing. You can't lose all your OOC games against good teams and expect to make your way to a #1 seed by beating SEC cellar-dwellers. That's why we need to start winning the pre-season games.
Has a #1 that returned the whole dam team ever lost twice in the same week in….gasp…..November?

• Haha
Reactions: saxonburgcat
Purdue is going to be a problem for everyone they play this year. That team reminds me of UK's 2012 squad. A game changer in the middle, good 3-point shooting and they flat out play some defense. Purdue is a fun team to watch play.

I am not a Purdue fan, by any means, but I agree 100%! I have to respect their big guy for the improvement in his game and they play solid, especially on D, as you pointed out.

Has a #1 that returned the whole dam team ever lost twice in the same week in….gasp…..November?

UNC lost Manek. Many of us said that losing him was going to be a major loss and it was. But, having said that, UNC struggled off and on all season long last year until the last few weeks. But, even then, they had this tendency to give up big leads like they did against Baylor in the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT