ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesnt Cal explain and go into detail about his players injuries?

People shut up about HIPPA!!! It’s the dumbest excuse there is. Cal controls the information flow. Players don’t give a crap if he says it’s an “mcl sprain” or “ankle” or whatever. The playing coy garbage is part of the reason people get fed up with cal because we’ve seen him call a guy day to day and never play him. He does this crap all the time. It gives cal the ability to hide when he wants to shut a player down or whatever his motive is. Some things and some times vagueness is called for but at this point it’s just a habit he has of not being forthcoming and it’s one the massive frustrations with cal. Heck stoops is more forth coming with a players ailments so stop citing the hippa garbage. It’s cal!

It's so obvious that Cal can tell us. Time line are everywhere for teams. It's definitely awful why he doesnt it. Some of our fans are so dang clueless. These kids want press and money tell me what's going on. That simple damn.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
None of my other team's coaches go into a ton of detail when it comes to wear and tear injuries. Only when they know they will be out for a long period.

If you've ever played fantasy, you'd know this to be true. Every year dozens of players get injured where no one seems to know when they are coming back. Lamelo Ball was supposed to miss a game or two with an ankle sprain. That's all anyone really knew. And here we are, 3 weeks later and he still hasn't played a game.

"What type of ankle injury?" .. lol, like any other coach is gonna say anything more than "mild ankle sprain."

Because they'll be out till march, when it really matters.

That statement is really a joke.

I hope we have a healthy team.

You got me there. That hateful old man just grinds my gears sometimes. At least you have some useful insight. He's just here to aggravate everyone.
LOL, Ed with useful insight?!?!? LOL!!!

I was having a rough day today and this helped. Thank you.

You'd never make it as a hockey fan. All you ever get out of the NHL teams are phrases like "lower body injury" and "upper body injury."
Sam Bowie and Derek Anderson were before HIPAA; Nerlens Noel was after but the world has changed a lot since then in terms of players' rights vs. your right-to-know. Now HIPAA probably doesn't apply to coaches based on the articles I've read, but a lot of coaches think it does (or use it as a smokescreen)... but what it ultimately comes down to is this: Why do you deserve to know and why do you want to know?
Alright then. Why does Cal even need to hold a press conference ever?

No need to explain anything. No need to comment on how a player played. If he did the right thing or the wrong thing in the game.

We shouldn't be privy to anything then. Recruiting. Depth charts. Coaches leaving or coming. Coaches salaries.

Just get to see the game and that's it. No more no less.

You'd never make it as a hockey fan. All you ever get out of the NHL teams are phrases like "lower body injury" and "upper body injury."
Sam Bowie and Derek Anderson were before HIPAA; Nerlens Noel was after but the world has changed a lot since then in terms of players' rights vs. your right-to-know. Now HIPAA probably doesn't apply to coaches based on the articles I've read, but a lot of coaches think it does (or use it as a smokescreen)... but what it ultimately comes down to is this: Why do you deserve to know and why do you want to know?
Who cares about hockey anyway?

Like most coaches do. For instance I like to know what Wheelers injury is. Does he have a mcl sprain? Or if it's his ankle, what kind of injury. What did the dr give for a time table. What's clean up for Oscar? Why did he have to get that done.? What are his drs telling him when he visits them each week about it? when can be truly play? In the NFL it is even a rule coaches have to say the injury and how long they are out. I guess Cal feels the need to never let us know anything.
I don’t think Cal or any other coach is allowed to say too much because of HIPPA laws . But Cal uses it to make fun of UK fans and their passion for the program. He gets a kick out of it.

Reactions: Cawood86
That's not true.
For example, if I know I can say it without repercussion.

"The Privacy Rule applies only to covered entities. Many organizations that use, collect, access, and disclose individually identifiable health information will not be covered entities, and thus, will not have to comply with the Privacy Rule."

The easy answer is why would Cal, or any coach, give out information they don't have to that opponents could then use to make better game plans?
You really should have read a little further in the thread.

So, you're saying the doctors and medical staff can't tell anything because of hippa laws, right? And Sahvir would have to be the one to tell or grant permission for them to tell, right? So, Cal may not be able to share because Hipaa laws have prevented him from even knowing.

I can't believe things have to be broken down to such an elementary level on here.

Last edited:

So, you're saying the doctors and medical staff can't tell anything because of hippa laws, right? And Sahvir would have to be the one to tell or grant permission for them to tell, right? So, Cal may not be able to share because Hippa laws have prevented him from even knowing.

I can't believe things have to be broken down to such an elementary level on here.
Bro, if you don’t even know the acronym or what HIPAA stands for, you might be a little out of your depth here.

Like most coaches do. For instance I like to know what Wheelers injury is. Does he have a mcl sprain? Or if it's his ankle, what kind of injury. What did the dr give for a time table. What's clean up for Oscar? Why did he have to get that done.? What are his drs telling him when he visits them each week about it? when can be truly play? In the NFL it is even a rule coaches have to say the injury and how long they are out. I guess Cal feels the need to never let us know anything.

I will give an honest opinion, a fact or two and play contrarian a bit but a fair contrarian IMHO.

IMHO- Cal could be more transparent about injuries.

FACT- HIPPA doesn't matter, it only applies to HC workers and govt. Cal never said Oscar would be back for season opener....Oscar did (I'm pretty sure this is accurate).

CONTRARIAN- I'm a huge Bengals fan. Chase is out 4-6 weeks or longer with a hip injury. That is all we know. Oscar is day to day with a knee injury. That is all well know. We want to know more but that is all that is provided. Not sure it really matters what a coach says. I guess would it be better to under promise and over deliver?

Last edited:
I’ve always thought coaches give out way too much info on injuries. It’s likely to bite you in the ass if you divulge too much. Matter of fact, it’s bitting cal in the ass as we speak. He had said Oscar would be good to go for game 1. Now it looks like he won’t be. He shouldn’t have said anything. You can never predict how a person may heal. We as fans are not entitled to anything.

So, you're saying the doctors and medical staff can't tell anything because of hippa laws, right? And Sahvir would have to be the one to tell or grant permission for them to tell, right? So, Cal may not be able to share because Hipaa laws have prevented him from even knowing.

You said no one but Wheeler can release that information, and that isn't true. Cal can. He won't, and he shouldn't, but he can because the law doesn't apply to him.

It's also a dumb argument to say he only knows what the doctors or Wheeler tell him. He knows, one way or another. Every coach knows the extent of their players' injuries.

My point is, HIPAA is irrelevant to this conversation.

You said no one but Wheeler can release that information, and that isn't true. Cal can. He won't, and he shouldn't, but he can because the law doesn't apply to him.

It's also a dumb argument to say he only knows what the doctors or Wheeler tell him. He knows, one way or another. Every coach knows the extent of their players' injuries.

My point is, HIPAA is irrelevant to this conversation

How can Cal tell you what isn't shared with him? 🤣

My point is, HIPAA is irrelevant to this conversation.
HIPAA is 100% irrelevant in this case. These clowns that keep citing it are simply out of their depth and think it makes them look smart. They don’t even realize how foolish it makes them look.

Cal on Sahvirs injury "I haven't talked to him."

No wonder he can't comment on the injuries 😆
Here’s another problem. What about the training staff what are they telling you cal? Don’t pretend like you don’t know bc you haven’t heard from wheeler. He’s talking to his trainers, assistants etc all the time. These players sign waivers for the training staff they know but HIPPA is the bs excuse.

HIPPA rights ? Player rights ? Who cares - we are UK fans and By Gosh as such we are entitled to know everything !! In fact we should all have access to every practice because we can have great insight as to how to game plan and set the line-up, etc., etc., etc.......................
Wow. You should be allowed to coach the team. I would sue the university because you are more qualified than Cal.

HIPAA is 100% irrelevant in this case. These clowns that keep citing it are simply out of their depth and think it makes them look smart. They don’t even realize how foolish it makes them look.
HIPPA does apply here. Cal can release no medical information on any player unless the player signs off on it.

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat
HIPAA don’t matter. I don’t know why exactly. I just know that it doesn’t. The NFL requires their coaches to divulge up to date injury information every week. I think maybe by Thursday. The coaches can be fined for failing to give info or if they underplay the information.

the reason for this……Vegas.

if hiding behind hipaa were at all possible then bill b would have been all over that.

HIPPA does apply here. Cal can release no medical information on any player unless the player signs off on it.
You are so well-versed on the legalities and details of HIPAA law that you don’t even know what the letters stand for or what it even is.

you, just like the rest of the clowns that keep citing HIPAA, are completely out of your depth.

I would say that he doesn't give out detailed injury information because it's not really any of our GD business, but that's just my opinion. I know others have a more "entitled" opinion. :)

He's a goddamn basketball coach. He's not bound by HIPAA. Cal can say whatever the hell he wants without legal repercussion. HIPAA is very specific in its covered entities, and coach isn't one of them.

Reactions: syrus12 and STL_Cat
Imho the only thing that can derail this team from #9 is outside influences and injuries.
In our last preseason gm 3 key UK players were out:

Oscar surgery
Wheeler injury
Collins Father passed
So as you can see the adversity has already hit and hit hard.
Lets hope this is the peak of it because we have seen many a potential UK title go to the way side due to these type of things.

He's a goddamn basketball coach. He's not bound by HIPAA. Cal can say whatever the hell he wants without legal repercussion. HIPAA is very specific in its covered entities, and coach isn't one of them.
Take the Lord’s name in vain? Have you no shame. IGNORE for you!

Hey snowflake..........simply stated it's the truth. Sorry if that seems hateful to you. I mean the same people (not saying you are one of them), but they ask the same stuff and for some unGodly reason think it's going to magically change. Calipari is NOT going to give complete and uncensored details on injuries, or many the strategic details. It jus ain't happening. Stop doing the same things and expecting different results. That is a definition of uh, oh wait, what is it.............yeah, CRAZY
God I love social media.

Reactions: kl40504
ADVERTISEMENT