ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesnt Cal explain and go into detail about his players injuries?

You are so well-versed on the legalities and details of HIPAA law that you don’t even know what the letters stand for or what it even is.

you, just like the rest of the clowns that keep citing HIPAA, are completely out of your depth.
I am well versed on HIPAA laws since I am a Vice President of Human Resources for a major company.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rob_47
He's a goddamn basketball coach. He's not bound by HIPAA. Cal can say whatever the hell he wants without legal repercussion. HIPAA is very specific in its covered entities, and coach isn't one of them.
Shows how much you know. HIPAA is a federal law and it applies to everyone. To protect an individuals privacy no one can release health information without the consent of that person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zissou87
People stressing over this have miserable lives. He said Oscar is out Monday and may or may not play next Friday. He is day to day. Wheeler is someone 90% of you hate and secretly wish was out for season anyways.

People stressing over this have miserable lives. He said Oscar is out Monday and may or may not play next Friday. He is day to day. Wheeler is someone 90% of you hate and secretly wish was out for season anyways.
I think there’s probably a difference between conversing about it on a thread on a message board and stressing about it. I haven’t spent an ounce of time “stressing” about it.
You guys that cite “miserable” lives because of how somebody discusses a topic on a message board are silly as hell, lol

I am well versed on HIPPA laws since I am a Vice President of Human Resources for a major company.
Well, having worked in medical device engineering and healthcare for 21 years, I would normally agree with all of those claiming HIPAA shouldn't be an obstacle to coaches (employees of a university) to reveal details about their players' injuries. HOWEVER, see the article below, which specifically mentions Kentucky's hybrid FERPA and HIPAA protections. Apparently, HIPAA is a factor depending on the institution, with Kentucky and Princeton among those that have some restrictions in place:

Hybrids exist at the college level, too. At Kentucky, which considers athletic trainers part of a FERPA academic institution, there’s also an on-campus HIPAA-governed medical center where student-athletes are referred for treatment. At Princeton University, which primarily follows FERPA, athletic trainers are formally employed and administered by the HIPAA-governed University Health Services, which houses all health records.

Whether your practice is governed by HIPAA boils down to two questions: Do you bill patients or health plans for the care you provide to student-athletes? And do you process those bills electronically? If you answered yes to both, you’re most likely a covered entity. If you answered no to either, you’re probably not.

How can you be confident about whether you’re supposed to follow HIPAA, FERPA, or both? “As an athletic trainer, if you feel concerned about HIPAA or FERPA, don’t take this question on yourself,” says Calvert, an associate attorney at the Honolulu law firm Alston Hunt Floyd & Ing and a consultant with the Hawai’i Athletic Trainers’ Association. “Because there are multiple levels of legal analysis, this is really an institutional question. The first thing to do is talk to your administration–it’s their job to figure out the athletic trainer’s responsibility. Get them involved in whether you fall under HIPAA or FERPA, find out which rules your institution follows, and ask what you need to do to fully comply.”

And later in the article:

Kentucky takes extra precautions by using a two-tiered system for disclosing information to the public. At the beginning of each school year, student-athletes fill out an authorization form. Then, in response to any outside requests over the course of the year, they fill out a second form with more specific information on what can be disclosed.

“The case-by-case forms are especially important when professional sports organizations ask for medical information,” says Webster. “To make sure we have all the documentation for both HIPAA and FERPA, we double up. Is that really necessary? Probably not. But we like the security of knowing there won’t be any surprises.

“In a similar way, when athletes come into our program, we ask their healthcare providers back home to fax a blank authorization form,” he continues. “The student-athlete signs it and we fax it back to the physician’s office. That way, we’re in compliance and the records can be released. It may seem overdone, but we’re following HIPAA very carefully, which is easier and safer than arguing we shouldn’t have to.”

At Princeton, where the athletic training department is formally administered by the FERPA- and HIPAA-governed University Health Services, there are two additional layers of protection. All media requests for student-athlete health information are funneled through university communications, which then forwards them to the sport coach. And after obtaining a signed release from student-athletes before the start of the season and an authorization after an incident, Princeton permits its coaches to disclose only the injured body part–not the diagnosis.

HIPAA & Athletes Article

I think there’s probably a difference between conversing about it on a thread on a message board and stressing about it. I haven’t spent an ounce of time “stressing” about it.
You guys that cite “miserable” lives because of how somebody discusses a topic on a message board are silly as hell, lol
You are definitely stressing out.

I am well versed on HIPPA laws since I am a Vice President of Human Resources for a major company.
Well hopefully you don't type HIPPA when you do it all the time because it's never been that way. It is HIPAA.

Well, having worked in medical device engineering and healthcare for 21 years, I would normally agree with all of those claiming HIPAA shouldn't be an obstacle to coaches (employees of a university) to reveal details about their players' injuries. HOWEVER, see the article below, which specifically mentions Kentucky's hybrid FERPA and HIPAA protections. Apparently, HIPAA is a factor depending on the institution, with Kentucky and Princeton among those that have some restrictions in place:

Hybrids exist at the college level, too. At Kentucky, which considers athletic trainers part of a FERPA academic institution, there’s also an on-campus HIPAA-governed medical center where student-athletes are referred for treatment. At Princeton University, which primarily follows FERPA, athletic trainers are formally employed and administered by the HIPAA-governed University Health Services, which houses all health records.

Whether your practice is governed by HIPAA boils down to two questions: Do you bill patients or health plans for the care you provide to student-athletes? And do you process those bills electronically? If you answered yes to both, you’re most likely a covered entity. If you answered no to either, you’re probably not.

How can you be confident about whether you’re supposed to follow HIPAA, FERPA, or both? “As an athletic trainer, if you feel concerned about HIPAA or FERPA, don’t take this question on yourself,” says Calvert, an associate attorney at the Honolulu law firm Alston Hunt Floyd & Ing and a consultant with the Hawai’i Athletic Trainers’ Association. “Because there are multiple levels of legal analysis, this is really an institutional question. The first thing to do is talk to your administration–it’s their job to figure out the athletic trainer’s responsibility. Get them involved in whether you fall under HIPAA or FERPA, find out which rules your institution follows, and ask what you need to do to fully comply.”

And later in the article:

Kentucky takes extra precautions by using a two-tiered system for disclosing information to the public. At the beginning of each school year, student-athletes fill out an authorization form. Then, in response to any outside requests over the course of the year, they fill out a second form with more specific information on what can be disclosed.

“The case-by-case forms are especially important when professional sports organizations ask for medical information,” says Webster. “To make sure we have all the documentation for both HIPAA and FERPA, we double up. Is that really necessary? Probably not. But we like the security of knowing there won’t be any surprises.

“In a similar way, when athletes come into our program, we ask their healthcare providers back home to fax a blank authorization form,” he continues. “The student-athlete signs it and we fax it back to the physician’s office. That way, we’re in compliance and the records can be released. It may seem overdone, but we’re following HIPAA very carefully, which is easier and safer than arguing we shouldn’t have to.”

At Princeton, where the athletic training department is formally administered by the FERPA- and HIPAA-governed University Health Services, there are two additional layers of protection. All media requests for student-athlete health information are funneled through university communications, which then forwards them to the sport coach. And after obtaining a signed release from student-athletes before the start of the season and an authorization after an incident, Princeton permits its coaches to disclose only the injured body part–not the diagnosis.

HIPAA & Athletes Article

None of that applies to Cal.

Why doesn't Cal go into detail about his players' sex lives. Why doesn't Cal release his tax returns? Why doesn't Cal ever show his bare feet? Why doesn't Cal talk about the arguments his parents had? Why doesn't Cal put sparkles on his suit? Why doesn't Cal wear a hat with those big Viking horns? Why doesn't Cal hop around on a pogo stick? Why doesn't Cal have a 3 card monte concession for fans who are gamblers? Why doesn't Cal sell a brand of lemoncello? Why doesn't Cal publish a book showing how to do vivisection?

I will give an honest opinion, a fact or two and play contrarian a bit but a fair contrarian IMHO.

IMHO- Cal could be more transparent about injuries.

FACT- HIPPA doesn't matter, it only applies to HC workers and govt. Cal never said Oscar would be back for season opener....Oscar did (I'm pretty sure this is accurate).

CONTRARIAN- I'm a huge Bengals fan. Chase is out 4-6 weeks or longer with a hip injury. That is all we know. Oscar is day to day with a knee injury. That is all well know. We want to know more but that is all that is provided. Not sure it really matters what a coach says. I guess would it be better to under promise and over deliver?
Really, I'm not asking for detailed info on an injury. Just not the gibberish Cal gives.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
You act like you are really stressed about it. Otherwise why make such a big deal out of something you have no control over.

You have been watching too much CNN and MSNBC.
The name is a joke. But I’m seriously referring to his books. I’ve read three of them. That’s exactly what he does. He’s super quiet about disciplinary actions and admits in his book that he will say a player is injured to keep it in house.

You may not be stressing out but some people obsess over this crap.

It's just another bash the coach thread everytime it comes up on here. Coaches don't have to tell us jack so doesn't really bother me.

You aren't entitled to know any of that. You know it's his knee, you know he is day to day. If that isn't enough, tough shit.
He didn't say he was entitled to know anything.. It just that we support and care about out team and players. We want to know how serious an injury is and long we will be without a player. It just common courtesy that we be informed. Every coach that we've had other can this guy had no problem letting fans know what was going on with injured players. It just one of the many reasons i personally cant wait for Cal to be GoneCal..

• Haha
Reactions: AE82
I think it probably has to do with the players' future. So, some of it probably feeds into the thing many hate, which is his players first approach. He may not want the full extent of the injuries to be divulged because it may potentially cost them financially down the road. If an NBA team thinks a guy has bad knees or bad ankles, they may hesitate to take that risk.

Honestly, I want to know more about the injuries also. I always want to know every detail because I often eat, sleep, and breathe Kentucky basketball. But I also understand Cal doesn't want to give those details for whatever reason, so I deal with that. I don't like it but I deal with it.

Of course, my conclusion is different. Those building a case against the man will make every issue something he should be fired over. Clearly, I'm not there. :D

Reactions: BillyJoeCat-fan
ADVERTISEMENT