ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we not have a statue of Bear Bryant outside of CWS?

' Bear ' Bryant coached at UK for 8 yrs., and won 60 games. He took us to the Orange, Sugar, and Cotton Bowls, beat Oklahoma when they were # 1.
There should be 3 statues, or busts located at Kroger Field, Paul Bryant, Blanton Collier, and Jerry Claiborne.

Curci... probation, and he has been a turd about UK ever since. Brooks... love him, but still an Oregon guy at heart, UK is his mistress. Bryant... I'm not taking another swing at that horse. Jerry Claiborne alone stands as a UK man (player, alum, assistant, head coach) who represents everything that has ever been good about UK football. If not him, you move on to native son Blanton Collier.
Curci got a raw deal. He had us there was to UK as Butch Davis was to UNC in that they were both sacrificial lambs used to protect round ball at all costs.

If we had done it, it should of been years ago. Honored him after he retired from coaching. Don't see the point now. That being said I wish they would have, he started out in the SEC here.

Did that pioneer black baseball player figure in Tulane exiting the conference?
Doubtful as he was a walk-on on that rarely played and it was the last year Tulane was in the SEC(1965-1966 school year). The next school year (1966-1967) saw UK's Nate Northington for football and Perry Wallace at Vandy for basketball.

Bear Bryant was not Kentucky Football. He was our greatest football coach but just passed through on his way to greatness.

UK doesn't even have a statute of Adolph Rupp who was UK basketball. Rupp has been treated like cow dung by UK athletics so until he is shown a little respect on campus, I see no reason to support any other coach until that is corrected.
No.

We'd look more stupid,if we didn't acknowledge his time as our football coach,the winning seasons,and the one recognized national championship , for defeating Oklahoma in the 1951 Sugar Bowl. Bryant admitted in his biography, that it was a decision he always had regrets about,and no ,he wasn't just passing thru,he was here for 8 years ,as long ,or longer than any coach since! Therefore his tenure here may not have been as long as at Alabama,but long enough to be a major factor in U K football history! Who else compares?!

Reactions: The-Hack
Because there is absolutely no reason for it.
I think he won a football championship here by some measures.
"Early Coaching Career
After graduating in 1936, Bryant became an assistant coach at Alabama for four years and Vanderbilt University for another two. He joined the U.S. Navy after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, his service time bookended by stints as coach of preflight training school football teams in Georgia and North Carolina.

Named the head coach of the University of Maryland shortly before his discharge in 1945, Bryant went 6-2-1 in his lone season with the Terrapins. He then enjoyed a successful eight-year run at the University of Kentucky, highlighted by a 1950 season in which the Wildcats ended the University of Oklahoma's 31-game winning streak (ranked #1 and defending NC) and he was named the SEC Coach of the Year."

Last edited:
Who else has a statue?
Good point. I have not been to Lexington in the past three months and I do not recall seeing a statute of an ex coach the last time I visited. If there is one I would like to visit and take a picture. I will repeat if UK has not seen fit to erect a statute to Adolph Rupp then no one should have one. Ever.

I don't care if it's a statue or not, but the fact that UK has failed to recognize the unique greatness that Bear Bryant brought to the Kentucky football program for 8 SEASONS is simply another sign of how this program has been neglected for the better part of 6 decades.

Who gives a rats ass if a coach moves on to even greater success at Bama, Notre Dame or the NFL? It should simply be about what that person did while at UK and there is not another soul who deserves to be in the same conversation in terms of success for Kentucky football.

Since it appears that UK is now in the process of ending that period of neglect, this needs to be rectified and finally included as a visible part of our history.

Reactions: The-Hack
One more time,when Bryant was coaching at Kentucky , the Overall winning percentage for football ,was 68%! That, as they say,is very close to winning 7 out of 10 games! Unfortunately , most peoples idea of history might go back 10 years. Taking an overall perspective ,from a historical viewpoint , Bryant stands out by far , in the football history of UK. The damage done by the last 60 years,of mostly a dumpster fire,distorts the true status of what UK football was,versus it's free fall from that time period!

Last edited:
This is a question that I've been asking for years now. Bear Bryant started his career at Maryland, for one year, but his SEC dominance started at Kentucky. Texas A&M and Alabama both have statues in his honor but Kentucky doesn't and he was at Kentucky longer than he was at A&M. I believe this should change.
If not a statue, we should definitely do something IMO too!!!!

A statue for Bear would be over the top in my opinion. He should be recognized as a part of UK history but not a statue. Maybe have some artwork or something on the inside walls that shows him coaching here or something like that.

ADVERTISEMENT