ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we not have a statue of Bear Bryant outside of CWS?

TuckyFB

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jun 21, 2016
This is a question that I've been asking for years now. Bear Bryant started his career at Maryland, for one year, but his SEC dominance started at Kentucky. Texas A&M and Alabama both have statues in his honor but Kentucky doesn't and he was at Kentucky longer than he was at A&M. I believe this should change.

He's not "our" coach. aTm gave him a statue (by far his worst win/loss percentage) and that one seems odd, too. Michael Jordans got a statue in Chicago, not in DC. It wouldn't be as bad as Miami Heat retiring MJs number, but it wouldn't feel right either. JMO

Because his legacy is too much associated with Bama.

We would do better to honor Coach Claiborne, since he was an alum (played for Bryant; assistant to Collier?) and College Football HOF Coach.

Coach Claiborne deserves a statue. If they really want to finish the stadium complex right, they give him a statue and place it, Ring of Honor recognitions, and some zero depth fountains in a nicely landscaped plaza on the grounds.

Because his legacy is too much associated with Bama.

We would do better to honor Coach Claiborne, since he was an alum (played for Bryant; assistant to Collier?) and College Football HOF Coach.

Coach Claiborne deserves a statue. If they really want to finish the stadium complex right, they give him a statue and place it, Ring of Honor recognitions, and some zero depth fountains in a nicely landscaped plaza on the grounds.
Amen. Yet the powers that be are OK with "C.M Newton Grounds". Sorry, that's a sore subject for many of us, myself included.

I had lobbied for Bryant/Claiborn field back in the 90s, which I still think is an appropriate name for the field. I think it has been one of the all time blunders not to embrace the man that was historically the winningest coach ever at Kentucky and who gave us a national championship, but that's what happens when you have basketball only ADs in charge of things for 4 decades.

There isn't a UK football coach worthy of a statue based on his time at UK. The statues we have in front of Nutter are perfect.

Reactions: Jon(-24)
If a head coach is going to have statue, it would be hard to pick someone other than the Bear. He has been far and away our most successful head coach. If not him, then we shouldn't have one in my opinion.

Reactions: wyldecat
No issue if UK does that, would be kinda cool. I also have no issue with UK not doing it or not having done so.

There isn't a UK football coach worthy of a statue based on his time at UK. The statues we have in front of Nutter are perfect.
Bear Bryant belongs with those statues because he's the one who brought those black players into the SEC.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Bear Bryant belongs with those statues because he's the one who brought those black players into the SEC.
????? You're taking about Greg Page, Wilbur Hackett, Nat Northington and the other gentleman whose name escapes me? That was 1966 or thereabouts when Charlie Bradshaw was coach. While integrating the SEC is a laudable accomplishment, Bradshaw definitely doesn't deserve a statue at CWS.

????? You're taking about Greg Page, Wilbur Hackett, Nat Northington and the other gentleman whose name escapes me? That was 1966 or thereabouts when Charlie Bradshaw was coach. While integrating the SEC is a laudable accomplishment, Bradshaw definitely doesn't deserve a statue at CWS.
You're right.

Bradshaw only had one winning season here. His brightest days were at Troy.

What? Bryant had been gone for 13+ years when UK integrated (and Bama didn't integrate for another 4 years or so after that).

What? Bryant had been gone for 13+ years when UK integrated (and Bama didn't integrate for another 4 years or so after that).
I was wrong. I was thinking of someone else but I still do stand by making a statue for Bryant. Winngest coach in UK Football history and won us a championship.

Through 1965?

I had never heard that!!
Bryant signed a contract, but then he came back from a recruiting trip and you know the rest.

By the way, if you want to find out facts surrounding Bryant's tenure here, I'd recommend looking online at Alabama football/SEC football history writer sites. There is no basketball-biased revisionist history to be found

Last edited:
Bryant deserves the statue ! He was head coach at Kentucky for 8 years, winning our only recognized National Championship for the 1951 season. He spent 1 year at Maryland ,4 years at Texas a&m, and always said he regretted leaving Kentucky . He was at Kentucky , when UK football had an overall 68% winning percentage. Don't let the last 50-60 years of a dumpster fire,self inflicted, muddy the waters on Bryant's connection and ties to Kentucky football !

I had lobbied for Bryant/Claiborn field back in the 90s, which I still think is an appropriate name for the field. I think it has been one of the all time blunders not to embrace the man that was historically the winningest coach ever at Kentucky and who gave us a national championship, but that's what happens when you have basketball only ADs in charge of things for 4 decades.

[thumb2][thumb2]

This is a question that I've been asking for years now. Bear Bryant started his career at Maryland, for one year, but his SEC dominance started at Kentucky. Texas A&M and Alabama both have statues in his honor but Kentucky doesn't and he was at Kentucky longer than he was at A&M. I believe this should change.

And was more successful here I believe then he was at A&M.

He's not "our" coach. aTm gave him a statue (by far his worst win/loss percentage) and that one seems odd, too. Michael Jordans got a statue in Chicago, not in DC. It wouldn't be as bad as Miami Heat retiring MJs number, but it wouldn't feel right either. JMO

He was our coach. He won big here.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
You boys have changed my mind on this one. Let's put one up of Schembechler and Saban too, though.

I would like to see statues of Bryant, Curci, Claiborne and Brooks greeting the fans as they walk into the stadium. All did great things at UK.
Curci... probation, and he has been a turd about UK ever since. Brooks... love him, but still an Oregon guy at heart, UK is his mistress. Bryant... I'm not taking another swing at that horse. Jerry Claiborne alone stands as a UK man (player, alum, assistant, head coach) who represents everything that has ever been good about UK football. If not him, you move on to native son Blanton Collier.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Bear Bryant was not Kentucky Football. He was our greatest football coach but just passed through on his way to greatness.

UK doesn't even have a statute of Adolph Rupp who was UK basketball. Rupp has been treated like cow dung by UK athletics so until he is shown a little respect on campus, I see no reason to support any other coach until that is corrected.

In terms of overall UK history ... Bear Bryant is behind not only Rupp but also Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith and Joe B. Hall. And none of those guys have statues (not counting the one by the Lodge for Joe B. where he looks like the Werther's Originals guy).

I'd start with doing something like what Alabama has for football: statues for all of the national championship winning basketball coaches outside Rupp Arena.

Once you've done that, I can see an argument for doing something for Bryant (or more generally for the Sugar Bowl champion team).

Well its all Barnhart's fault!

No coach statues, please. We don't have a history that would justify honoring a coach. No opposing fan would understand and that kind of recognition should be a good benchmark. I would much rather see us honor past star players, but I have to admit, I would stop with the statues at the ones we currently have. They make sense to me.

Reactions: GridCats
Let's do something different - make the Catwalk a permanent fixture by adding hof coaches/players statues along its route to the stadium. Why not include Bryant? He was ours before he was theirs, and his legacy here deserves a nod.

No coach statues, please. We don't have a history that would justify honoring a coach. No opposing fan would understand and that kind of recognition should be a good benchmark. I would much rather see us honor past star players, but I have to admit, I would stop with the statues at the ones we currently have. They make sense to me.
I largely agree, and really just present Coach Claiborne to say, "If we are going to do this, here is the right subject." A monumental Ring of Honor at the main entrance, incorporating a fountain, is probably the only thing of this nature I could see adding to the grounds at this time.

Nope, that was Perry Wallace at Vandy. Tulane actually had the first black athlete(baseball) in the SEC.
OK I stand corrected. I remember reading an article in the LHL years ago about CM Newton and I thought the article stated that he signed the first black BB into the SEC. So be it.

ADVERTISEMENT