ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we always collapse before halftime

UGA didn't even bite on that Wildcat play. The staff knew we throw out of that package with Bowden at QB 9/10 times. Our receiver had like 3 dudes around him, and we stilll chuck it out there. Game.
The pass should not have been thrown by Bowden, since it was thrown into double coverage. I think it was a significant momentum swing in the game. But it wasn't the reason Georgia doubled our offensive production. I get what Gran was thinking. He was trying to overcome a superior opponent in their own stadium, and he rolled the dice. At the time, I remember thinking I would have saved that play for later. It was a setback, but this isn't what cost us the game. We lost this game because we could not produce a pass rush or stop their running game. Our defense was gassed by the middle of the 3rd quarter, and a couple of our best defensive players were hurt.

Okay. Summing up your last 2 posts, you believe poor play at the end of the 2nd quarter is "because it's UK football", "has always" been and "will continue", and has nothing to do with the quality of our opponent. I'm not sure your theory is credible.

Credible? Well, my view of the situation is just my opinion and from watching UK football suffer with the "curse" for many years now.

UK collapses right before half-time simply because it's UK football. It's what UK football has always done, is doing, and will continue to do. The question is why anyone would be surprised by this.

I guess when you listen to the sunshine pumpers constantly saying how much better we are, that Stoops is learning, recruiting is much better, etc., you actually think they won't do the exact same thing they have been doing all 5 years Stoops has been here. Then we do it anyways.

I expected to lose by like 30 before the game, but it doesn't mean I don't hold out hope that things will change. That the lights will come on with Stoops and the team. That we will actually call the right plays and execute them.

Stoops tries to be more aggressive like we want, but he picks the wrong time and/or the wrong play. He also tries to out think himself. Going for the punt block when we were in control and would get the ball around midfield. Going away from the run when it was working. Making an obvious pass out of the Wildcat when Bolden was the only player behind the line.

I don't mind going for it on 4th down. That is the aggressiveness I can deal with. I also don't mind passing a bunch when we are in rhythm. Randomly just stopping what has been working the whole drive is stupid. Georgia rarely goes away from the run when it is working. They mostly only pass on obvious 3rd and longs. Why can't we stick to what is working as well? If running is working keep doing it.

Reactions: FtCampbellCat
Jawa is the best team I've seen this season. No I did not see their Auburn game. 31 seniors Dawgs honored on their sidelines yesterday! How many started, 18 or19? I'm really looking forward to their game with Bama or Auburn again!
If Benny Snell was playing for Jawja he probably would not carry the ball more than 8 to 10 times per game!
Benny and Drake Jackson on offense were very good! Wish I could name a very good CAT defender from yesterday!
The old football adage "more about the Jimmy and Joe's than x's and o's was very evident in yesterday game! Till CATS can recruit many, many 4* & 5* defensive specially linemen we will not be able to consistently beat the top 4 SEC teams.

I guess when you listen to the sunshine pumpers constantly saying how much better we are, that Stoops is learning, recruiting is much better, etc., you actually think they won't do the exact same thing they have been doing all 5 years Stoops has been here. Then we do it anyways.

I expected to lose by like 30 before the game, but it doesn't mean I don't hold out hope that things will change. That the lights will come on with Stoops and the team. That we will actually call the right plays and execute them.

Stoops tries to be more aggressive like we want, but he picks the wrong time and/or the wrong play. He also tries to out think himself. Going for the punt block when we were in control and would get the ball around midfield. Going away from the run when it was working. Making an obvious pass out of the Wildcat when Bolden was the only player behind the line.

I don't mind going for it on 4th down. That is the aggressiveness I can deal with. I also don't mind passing a bunch when we are in rhythm. Randomly just stopping what has been working the whole drive is stupid. Georgia rarely goes away from the run when it is working. They mostly only pass on obvious 3rd and longs. Why can't we stick to what is working as well? If running is working keep doing it.
So, at 7-4, with another solid recruiting class coming together, someone must be a "sunshine pumper" to think our football program is on a positive path? Is that your thinking?

So, at 7-4, with another solid recruiting class coming together, someone must be a "sunshine pumper" to think our football program is on a positive path? Is that your thinking?

Next year will tell you if we are on that positive path or we were just fortunate the last 2 years to have so many things go our way, but even then we still couldn't make special years out of them (especially this year). I'm not comparing what we are doing now to our entire history either. Nothing now is the same as it was in the past. Not even just 10 years ago. Our recruiting is better and our schedule is much easier.

I don't know if anyone in the East would even have a winning record in the West besides maybe Georgia right now. We also get a guaranteed win playing a FCS opponent every year since back in the mid 2000's (it is barely a guaranteed win for us though). Then throw in the fact we don't have to play 2 power 5 ooc games anymore.

I just think we've hit the end of the path and are plateaued with Stoops. About the only positive place left to go is straight on this level (6 or 7 wins with maybe a rare 8 or 9 wins) with some down years mixed in. That is probably great for some, but I would like to have at least 1 very good chance at playing in the SEC title game at least once every 4 or 5 years. I'm not even talking about a serious national championship contender either. I just don't think Stoops has the ability to build a team to that level.

He could try and prove me wrong to start with by beating UL and winning the bowl game. That would be a step in the right direction. He also has to start next year with a QB with very little to no on the field experience to go with maybe our best kicker ever being gone. That is along with a few other key players. He's going to have his work cutout for him and a bigger year this year would go a long way toward the fans being more patient with him in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT