ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we always collapse before halftime

Not getting to watch. I've read where we have dropped 2 would be TD's if so I wouldn't call it being very conservative nor bad coaching, but maybe just a lack of execution. Why we do that is the million dollar question. But we don't seem to make the plays when needed

Reactions: BlueTick2
Not getting to watch. I've read where we have dropped 2 would be TD's if so I wouldn't call it being free conservative nor bad coaching, but maybe just a lack of execution. Why we do that is the million dollar question. But we don't seem to make the plays when needed
How can you make plays on calls designed to gain 1 yard?

Yeah it's always about the staff. If we have dropped 2 td's that's execution.

Reactions: bluecoon1
A couple of weeks ago I read a stat on the percentage of games we had given up a touchdown with less than a minute left in the half under Stoops . It was staggering.

Reactions: law1127 and Cats78
I’m not saying we are playing conservative. I’m saying with less than 5 min to go in the first half we always take a one score difference and let the other team basically put the game out of reach. It has to be demoralizing to our players.

Reactions: law1127
So we throw it every down but one on last possession and the coaches are being conservative. If so and only saying that because I'm at work and can't watch. But If you are saying we are playing conservative you either are ignorant about football or you're a troll. Jmho

A couple of weeks ago I read a stat on the percentage of games we had given up a touchdown with less than a minute left in the half under Stoops . It was staggering.
I bet you didn't "read a stat" a couple weeks ago and you're lying. If you had it would still be fresh enough on your mind you would have included the stat itself. I doubt you wouldn't have said "a couple weeks ago" and instead reference where and what you read.

Not saying it isn't true. Just think you are a lying to fit your agenda. I do agree, we suck closing out halves.

Anyone that says we played conservative at the end of the half is a dipshit.
It's not conservatism. It's game management. Some games it's predictability with a lead.

MSU it's was taking dumb shots down field before half in a single possession game on 2nd and 2 and punting giving them time to score and get the bell back for the 3rd. Instead of picking up the first down and running clock to make sure there isn't a 14 point swing.

Today you take the 3 points because you are getting the Ball back after half (which we scored).

It's like the staff out thinks themselves. Against teams we are controlling we go away from what we are doing and try to our last them.

Against teams they think are better than us they ditch our normal plan early and play overly aggressive and take unnecessary risk when it's still a one possession game that ends up diggin a hole.

The first two possessions that we only came away with 2 FGs we moved the ball with a run pass mix and then in the redzone decided to throw 3 times. Or the wildcat bomb when we were moving the ball. The staff just out thinks theirselves.

Reactions: law1127
I bet you didn't "read a stat" a couple weeks ago and you're lying. If you had it would still be fresh enough on your mind you would have included the stat itself. I doubt you wouldn't have said "a couple weeks ago" and instead reference where and what you read.

Not saying it isn't true. Just think you are a lying to fit your agenda. I do agree, we suck closing out halves.
It's not a lie you prick .It's not like I save everything I read or remember the date and you don't either .What do you think is my agenda ? Maybe you better check some facts before you shoot your mouth off . You basically said you agree with the stat but I'm a liar . Are you as big an asshole as you seem ?

Last edited:
It is about as certain as death and taxes. Someone explain
Okay. It is not "as certain as death and taxes" that we "collapse before halftime". You are overreacting to a loss on the road to the nation's #7 team in a game where we were a 3 touchdown underdog.

It is hard to explain our collapse. I think we have allowed a touchdown in the last two minutes of the first half in four of our games this year. It seem like it is more than that.

Another very bad trait we have as a football team is allowing the opponent to score quickly after we score. Snell worked hard to get in the end zone and played like an All American. After he scored Georgia took the ball right down the field ripping off huge gains to score within minutes. It took all of the wind out of our sails. This also happens to often.

I hope we can get this corrected by next year.

Reactions: catben and law1127

The stat I saw was we’ve given up something like 102 points in the closing 2 or 3 minutes of the first half under Stoops. That number obviously grew yesterday and I believe vs. MSU, UT, and Ole Miss since I saw it.

Reactions: catben and Mike-D
Okay. It is not "as certain as death and taxes" that we "collapse before halftime". You are overreacting to a loss on the road to the nation's #7 team in a game where we were a 3 touchdown underdog.
Gotta disagree with this . Pointing out a disturbing trend is not the same as overreacting to a loss , although there is a lot of that going on . Actually the game went about as I expected . If that is exceptable in year five of a coaches tenure is debatable .

The stat I saw was we’ve given up something like 102 points in the closing 2 or 3 minutes of the first half under Stoops. That number obviously grew yesterday and I believe vs. MSU, UT, and Ole Miss since I saw it.
Careful there , do you have the date , time , and documentation to back this up ? If not you may be called a liar .

Reactions: Mike-D
You are cherry picking. When we lose, the details are never enjoyable. FWIW, I don't know anyone who thinks UK played well yesterday. Obviously, Stoops doesn't, and he said so. But if we had a significant chance to win yesterday, we would not have been a 3 touchdown underdog. At the end of the day, UK is 7-4 and about to play in our 2nd consecutive bowl. But we aren't going to play for the SEC championship this year. So if that is your bar, then you have every reason to be disappointed. I guess we all have our own thoughts, but I look for recruiting momentum as the greatest predictor of eventual improvement. JW's decommitment won't change the fact that Stoops is headed for another strong class. That's what I want. For people looking for seasonal improvements, there are still things to be happy about in the greater scheme of things. So I'm not going to overreact when we lose on the road to a ranked opponent favored by 3 touchdowns to beat us.

Reactions: FtCampbellCat
You are cherry picking. When we lose, the details are never enjoyable. FWIW, I don't know anyone who thinks UK played well yesterday. Obviously, Stoops doesn't, and he said so. But if we had a significant chance to win yesterday, we would not have been a 3 touchdown underdog. At the end of the day, UK is 7-4 and about to play in our 2nd consecutive bowl. But we aren't going to play for the SEC championship this year. So if that is your bar, then you have every reason to be disappointed. But for people looking for seasonal improvements, there are still things to be happy about in the greater scheme of things.
I didn't think we had a chance to win yesterday . I didn't think we had a chance to win the east , I don't think we ever will . I also didn't realize how bad of a season some of the teams on our schedule would have. I do believe our defense should be a bit better than it is at this point in Stoops tenure . The Louisville game will be the litmus test for me . If we lose that game I can't say the program made progress .

14-6 with about 5 minutes left in the second quarter guys. That's a ball game. Yet, for some reason as the half is nearing the staff decides to get ballsy and deviate from bread and butter with 3 pass plays that went nowhere.

I mean, that's all you need to know about the game planning and play calling by this staff. We've seen it time and time again.

Bowden actually had a nice return for about 30 yds after the UGA score. All the staff had to do was run some clock. It's 4 down situation. Get 3 yds a pop with Benny, move the chain, eat clock, get into field goal position, maybe take one shot with pass, worst case scenario go into the half with down 14-9.

Then second drive of second half.

18 yard pass completion by SJ. Great. 3 yd run king, 3 yd run king, sack SJ...i mean What the f***?!...it's 3rd and 4, king just got 3 yds a pop the previous two runs. Put Benny in, get 4 yds...if he gets 2 yds, then go for it on fourth down!!!!!

Those two drives right there pretty much decided things. However, there was a thread of hope. With about 4 minutes left in the 3rd. We have the ball, 28-13 still not out of the game. BAM BOOM!! 7 and 4 yard runs by Benny...first down...what do we do? pass the ball to the other team with some stupid wildcat play...game over...

14-6 with about 5 minutes left in the second quarter guys. That's a ball game. Yet, for some reason as the half is nearing the staff decides to get ballsy and deviate from bread and butter with 3 pass plays that went nowhere.

I mean, that's all you need to know about the game planning and play calling by this staff. We've seen it time and time again.

Bowden actually had a nice return for about 30 yds after the UGA score. All the staff had to do was run some clock. It's 4 down situation. Get 3 yds a pop with Benny, move the chain, eat clock, get into field goal position, maybe take one shot with pass, worst case scenario go into the half with down 14-9.

Then second drive of second half.

18 yard pass completion by SJ. Great. 3 yd run king, 3 yd run king, sack SJ...i mean What the f***?!...it's 3rd and 4, king just got 3 yds a pop the previous two runs. Put Benny in, get 4 yds...if he gets 2 yds, then go for it on fourth down!!!!!

Those two drives right there pretty much decided things. However, there was a thread of hope. With about 4 minutes left in the 3rd. We have the ball, 28-13 still not out of the game. BAM BOOM!! 7 and 4 yard runs by Benny...first down...what do we do? pass the ball to the other team with some stupid wildcat play...game over...

UGA didn't even bite on that Wildcat play. The staff knew we throw out of that package with Bowden at QB 9/10 times. Our receiver had like 3 dudes around him, and we stilll chuck it out there. Game.

UK collapses right before half-time simply because it's UK football. It's what UK football has always done, is doing, and will continue to do. The question is why anyone would be surprised by this.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
UK collapses right before half-time simply because it's UK football. It's what UK football has always done, is doing, and will continue to do. The question is why anyone would be surprised by this.
So, you don't think it had anything to do with playing the nation's #7 team on the road?

No, I really don't.

Up to that point in the game, UGA was not really playing that well relative to their talent level.
Okay. Summing up your last 2 posts, you believe poor play at the end of the 2nd quarter is "because it's UK football", "has always" been and "will continue", and has nothing to do with the quality of our opponent. I'm not sure your theory is credible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT