ADVERTISEMENT

Why did the Vikings have to try the XP yesterday at the end of the game?

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
Is that a new rule? If so, that has to be related to gambling, why else would you kick an XP after you have already won the game? Having to clear the field after all the pandemonium so the QB could take a knee was about the dumbest thing I have seen all year. Of course, today is only the 15th . . . o_O

Reactions: ukalum1988
Here you go...

It turned out to be neither. The officials’ decision to drag out a final untimed play was merely a leftover function of the regular season’s playoff tiebreaker process.

About the try last night. The reason for having to kick the try has nothing to do with point spreads. It has everything to do with point differential. If it was spreads you would have to attempt the try in OT. Point differential is one of the tiebreakers used for playoff seeding.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/1...eaningless-extra-point-anyway-saints-playoffs

I'm sure it is in the rules that they have to at least line up for it but only at the end of regulation it would seem for some reason. If a team scores a TD in overtime the game ends right then.

Could understand the need if it was a one or two point game as there is a chance for the defense to score two points going the other way but that wouldn't apply to yesterday's score. No team ever kicks the XP in siutuations like yesterday so seems like a rule they should do away with.

It reminds me of a question I posted one time asking if a team gets a defensive touchdown on the first series of overtime in college football does the offense have to come out and take a knee 4 times. The answer is that no they don't. They have a whole set of rules like that which only apply to overtime.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I don't think the defense can score on a PAT in the NFL - the ball is dead if there's a turnover.

I presume it's just a general rule of the game that a PAT must be attempted regardless of score differential. Obviously if the scoring team ties the game or is down 1/2, the attempt must be tried. No sense in it in yesterday's scenario but the rule applies regardless of point differential.

Amazing, I guess it does make a difference in the NFL regular season with a tie breaker, but in a playoff game? The seeds are already predetermined aren't they?

Reactions: The Public Enemy
However, the point differential for reseeding purposes--it made zero difference...but money was still changing hands in Vegas. Point spread. Gambling collusion. Call Robert Mueller, quick! Again, yes, I am a conspiracy theorist.

I am not a gambler, but from what I read there were people ecstatic when the Vikings had to do the point after, and they all became despondent when they took that knee. Tons of money changed hands on that play.

ADVERTISEMENT