ADVERTISEMENT

Why aren’t townsfolk storming Hinshaw’s gate?

Kooky Kats

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2002
Folks blast Eddie Gran... Why give QBs coach Hinshaw a pass? QB has sucked. SUCKED. Stoops has to fire someone right?

When was the last time we threw for 300yards v an SEC team? Since....Mike Hartline? Andre Woodson? When was the last UK QB to have a cup of coffee in the NFL? With THIS OLINE, and running game- we should have more than what we’re getting from QB. Wholly unacceptable and embarrassing.

But, Hinshaw’s regime recruited talent. But delivered and developed - nothing. I have seen little to no progression from this group. EVER. (Steven Johnson has a miracle game v Louisville).

Drew Barker, Towles, Terry? If we had a damn clue at QB, we’d be dangerous. I’d trade Terry for Guarantano straight up.

eff hinshaw. Get him off the payroll.

Doesnt matter who the OC is , Stoops is going to control what is done . I'd say axe the head and get a change in philosophy . You cant win in todays playing an offense from 1972 . Yeah you dig up some stats that say " well we throw the ball X amount of times and that stat shows we actually do throw the ball". Yeah bubble screens , 5 yard outs , shuffle passes ... I mean a passing game that looks like a 2020 SEC team .. but it isn't going to happen . I'd be happy to builds our team around the running game and quit trying to be something we are not . Run the ball , shorten the game , rely on your D ( eventually with better recruits) .. and either commit to being a 2020 offensive type team or not . With our lack of WR's I'd say its time to start running.

Folks blast Eddie Gran... Why give QBs coach Hinshaw a pass? QB has sucked. SUCKED. Stoops has to fire someone right?

When was the last time we threw for 300yards v an SEC team? Since....Mike Hartline? Andre Woodson? When was the last UK QB to have a cup of coffee in the NFL? With THIS OLINE, and running game- we should have more than what we’re getting from QB. Wholly unacceptable and embarrassing.

But, Hinshaw’s regime recruited talent. But delivered and developed - nothing. I have seen little to no progression from this group. EVER. (Steven Johnson has a miracle game v Louisville).

Drew Barker, Towles, Terry? If we had a damn clue at QB, we’d be dangerous. I’d trade Terry for Guarantano straight up.

Agree with most of this, but Steven Johnson is one of my favorite players. That guy would get hit hard, he'd jump back up ready to go. If TTW had half of his toughness, he'd be a hellava QB. Not a big Hinshaw fan either, QB play is below average and who has he recruited?

Would love to see a better offense too, but I checked, and Hugh Freeze is making to much at Liberty to lure him in for the OC job.

Who the QB coach, and the OC coach CAN recruit is determined by the style of ball we play. Who decides the style of ball we play, the PLAYERS???? With most teams, that would be true, such as Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and other teams. With Kentucky, it's determined by Coach Stoops, and it's one dimensional. All of the ones I named, and are successful, would gear their team's play around what the QB can do, to some extent. They are also able to recruit the QB that fits their system, to a great extent. If you look, most of them will have two QB's that fit their system, and sometimes three. I can remember in the 70's when Spurrier would use another QB if the first one wasn't getting the job done, and they would not miss a beat. Do I want to fire Coach Stoops, ABSOLUTELY NOT! His winning 6 or 7 games, and going to a bowl will please the AD and 50% of the fans. There are some of us who think with the facilities, and what we pay a coach, we should be doing better. We are entitled to our opinions without ALL the BS, just as the ones who think Coach Stoops walks on water are entitled to their opinions.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Doesnt matter who the OC is , Stoops is going to control what is done . I'd say axe the head and get a change in philosophy . You cant win in todays playing an offense from 1972 . Yeah you dig up some stats that say " well we throw the ball X amount of times and that stat shows we actually do throw the ball". Yeah bubble screens , 5 yard outs , shuffle passes ... I mean a passing game that looks like a 2020 SEC team .. but it isn't going to happen . I'd be happy to builds our team around the running game and quit trying to be something we are not . Run the ball , shorten the game , rely on your D ( eventually with better recruits) .. and either commit to being a 2020 offensive type team or not . With our lack of WR's I'd say its time to start running.
Yes... I totally get the frustration with the poor QB coaching / development re: Hinshaw, but it goes hand in hand with the WR position. I don’t have a firm conviction on how effective Bouknight is as a position coach, but our WRs aren’t exactly helping the QB either - dropped passes, getting physically dominated, failing to get open, etc.

I like Ali, but when he’s essentially your #1 WR, it’s indicative of the lack of quality depth in that group. Is Epps is even on the team any more? Guys like Harris, Hayes, etc don’t seem to be getting developed very well. Maybe the inability to recruit better WRs is both symptom and cause of the problem.

Just really frustrating, because the pieces of a dominating run game are there, but an effective passing game is needed to keep defenses honest.

Last edited:
Hinshaw has literally done nothing in his time here. Not a thing. Not one QB has progressed under his leadership.

Agree. Plus he adds nothing in recruiting.

He's grans guy, so I'm not sure how that's going to work but it's eventually coming. He might get one more year so they can see what he does with gatewood who obviously has incredible physical tools.

Reactions: joewildcat8
Agree. Plus he adds nothing in recruiting.

He's grans guy, so I'm not sure how that's going to work but it's eventually coming. He might get one more year so they can see what he does with gatewood who obviously has incredible physical tools.
Gran can like it or go too. Less than 150 in 2/3 games. And the one game we did we looked abysmal in the first half of TN and were carried by their QB and our defense.

It does appear he does nothing but ride Eddie Grans coattails. There has been little if any improvement in the second year from any of the quarterbacks he has coached.

It does appear he does nothing but ride Eddie Grans coattails. There has been little if any improvement in the second year from any of the quarterbacks he has coached.

When a QB gets to college, it's hard to teach him how to throw. You might make a couple of changes, but their pretty sell set. A good example was Tebow. He was a really good QB in high school and college, but his release was a little to low in the pros. When a QB goes to college, if he isn't accurate in high school, he probably will not be much better in college. Very likely he will be worse, since the game is faster, and so is the defense.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

When a QB gets to college, it's hard to teach him how to throw. You might make a couple of changes, but their pretty sell set. A good example was Tebow. He was a really good QB in high school and college, but his release was a little to low in the pros. When a QB goes to college, if he isn't accurate in high school, he probably will not be much better in college. Very likely he will be worse, since the game is faster, and so is the defense.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
I can see that . Kinda like a golf swing. The other thing is intangibles, pocket presence, seeing the field, check downs , decision making . They are hard to measure.

Excellent post, especially the opening line.

Gran calls the plays but the offensive philosophy is built around what the HC thinks will work.

Peace

Reactions: willievic
I wouldn’t fire Stoops but you are right, he will never move away from a running style offense

Time to admit we have no passing game and install the wishbone and play to our strengths.....We have the backs for it, defenses haven't seen it in decades, and Stoops would be elated

Why the Wishbone? Just run what we did last year. We had a few 400 yrd games and a 500+ yrd game. But I get your point

ADVERTISEMENT