ADVERTISEMENT

Why all the love for Jedrick Wills OT Lafayette HS?

BIGBLUEQ

Sophomore
Jun 23, 2003
This kid is big, but other than that, I don't know exactly what the infatuation D1 schools have with this kid at this point. He has no technique, he holds a lot, outside of the "numbers" on a defender, and likes to cheap shot them if he can catch them with their backs turned or on the ground. Which will get a flag every damn time in college.
So if his attitude and technique don't improve, I don't see a high D-1 team taking a chance on this kid. Of course, he has two years to improve his technique and footwork.

He went to several camps and dominated. In many ways was more impressive than Young. Technique can be taught. The size, strength, and nastiness can't.

Reactions: htbud11
He went to several camps and dominated. In many ways was more impressive than Young. Technique can be taught. The size, strength, and nastiness can't.
What camps did he dominate at? He didn't "dominate anyone this past season at Lafayette that I could see. And I saw him play several times.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1766017&PT=4&PR=2

https://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1763070&PT=4&PR=2

-You can take a great OL and stick him between two guys that are not very good.......and the "great" guy will look "not-so-great."
-Also, when evaluating an OL player you have to find out what they are being asked to do. If their job is just to hold the point of attack, then Wills won't look all that great. If, he's asked to pull hard and pancake someone then he may look really great.

Full disclosure. I haven't seen him play at all. All of my information comes from the articles I've read. And from what everyone has been saying, he's a prospect with a ton of potential.

I am not certain what criteria the OP used to evaluate. I see a kid who has good pad level and excellent take off. He shows he can block and maintain second level defenders in space. He drives and 'finishes" blocks. I disagree with the assessment he has "no" technique.

He is off balance and reaching on pass sets. That will come with more repetitions. He is an excellent prospect at 15 years old.

I am not certain what criteria the OP used to evaluate. I see a kid who has good pad level and excellent take off. He shows he can block and maintain second level defenders in space. He drives and 'finishes" blocks. I disagree with the assessment he has "no" technique.

He is off balance and reaching on pass sets. That will come with more repetitions. He is an excellent prospect at 15 years old.
I used the criteria of watching him play in HS. Also, not sure what you consider "good" pad level, but he does not have good pad level, he is big for his age, and he plays "high" his pass blocking techinique as you said, is lacking and is something that can be taught, but if he is projected as a tackle in college, his footwork has to get much better, he doesn't have the foot speed to play against really good pass rushers, which he has not played against a great one in HS.

Your comment that he can "block and maintain 2nd level defenders in space, is incorrect. He can "hold" 2nd level defenders in space, but he can't block them. If you watch his Hudl film you will see that he doesn't block those 2nd level defenders he holds them, which should get a flag every time from a good officiating crew.

We'll have to agree to disagree, he's still got two more years, we'll see where he is when he's a Sr.

Pretty good offer list from people who make a living evaluating players.

Capture_17.jpg

Yes, he took 3rd best performer for underclassmen, not overall, but to give him props, he was ranked the 11th best performer overall at that camp.

At this Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge he was graded 3rd best overall OL & 2nd best OT **(regardless of class)**

Wills made quite the statement by coming out and performing as the second-best offensive tackle at the event behind only Little. It didn't matter what type of defender Wills faced, he stepped up and won nearly every rep. His long arms and wide body make him tough to get around and some of the nation's top defensive linemen found that out the hard way.

https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1775599

Yes, he took 3rd best performer for underclassmen, not overall, but to give him props, he was ranked the 11th best performer overall at that camp.[/QUOTE

Sounds like he took your position away. Seems like a lot of but thirst here for some reason.

Not sure how I ended up on this board, but here we are. Jed is a big boy, but he has some growing to do as most 15-16 year olds do. Not physically. He played baseball for a while in our league and a lot of folks around us have kids that have played football with him. Dad is a task master (or was when I was around him a few years back) and I hope Jed stays the course and doesn't get burned out. He's been playing about every sport except soccer, year round, since he was very little. I wish him all the best.

Just my $0.02

This kid is big, but other than that, I don't know exactly what the infatuation D1 schools have with this kid at this point. He has no technique, he holds a lot, outside of the "numbers" on a defender, and likes to cheap shot them if he can catch them with their backs turned or on the ground. Which will get a flag every damn time in college.
So if his attitude and technique don't improve, I don't see a high D-1 team taking a chance on this kid. Of course, he has two years to improve his technique and footwork.

Big Blue, do you really think that were better at evaluating talent then the coaches?

Reactions: wyldecat
Talked with a college recruiter a few weeks back and he said that Jedrick is fantastic, but he's lazy and doesn't like to put work in and takes plays off.

Not trying to take anything away from the kid. He's damn good. Just have to wonder if colleges are willing to take the risk on him and see if they can make him compete and strive.

This is just what I was told. I think the kid is fine, but then again, I haven't been paid to critique him.

Not trying to take anything away from the kid. He's damn good. Just have to wonder if colleges are willing to take the risk on him and see if they can make him compete and strive.

Yes, yes they will.

The kid is huge, strong, athletic and nasty. All the things you can't teach. Other than that, I'm not sure what people see.

Probably because Alabama.. Tennessee.. Aub.. Florida.. Ohio State.. And every other big time school in the country would love to have this kid... he is big time with a capital B and a capital T..

I used the criteria of watching him play in HS. Also, not sure what you consider "good" pad level, but he does not have good pad level, he is big for his age, and he plays "high" his pass blocking techinique as you said, is lacking and is something that can be taught, but if he is projected as a tackle in college, his footwork has to get much better, he doesn't have the foot speed to play against really good pass rushers, which he has not played against a great one in HS.

Your comment that he can "block and maintain 2nd level defenders in space, is incorrect. He can "hold" 2nd level defenders in space, but he can't block them. If you watch his Hudl film you will see that he doesn't block those 2nd level defenders he holds them, which should get a flag every time from a good officiating crew.

And when is the last time you have seen a "good" officiating crew? And from comments on college blogs they regress when they get promoted, LOL.

The only "good" officiating crew is one that misses a call on your team or makes a bad call against the opponent, at least it seems that way sometimes.

OP doesn't know jack about assessing talent. This thread of his proves it. We shall see.

I can tell you don't know squat about football! In the top ten of all-time worst topic posts!

I saw Wills play and let me say this,and I have watched a ton of great high school football players......the kid is a flat out STUD ! Super strength and quick feet and a giant to boot. I saw him and Landon Young combine for about 30 pancake blocks vs.TRINITY.(yet lost 70-14)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT