ADVERTISEMENT

Who thinks Memphis is going to be good under Penny Hardaway?

giphy.gif

I’ll be laughing my ass off when they finish this season 13-18 and all those Memphis fans are left scratching their heads thinking they were a powerhouse. He’s going to be a total flop. He’ll be fired in 4 years.

I don't have any idea about this year because I don't know if he will have the talent . But I expect him to bring in talent, lots more than Pasner . I think Memphis will dominate the conference they are in because it is weak . I wouldn't be surprised if Memphis is a regular in the top ten .

Reactions: titans3775
I don’t think they even go .500 the next 2 years

Thats ridiculous..... they were 21-13 with not much talent under Tubby. Hardaway is bringing in a top 30 class and returning 4 senior starters this year and will bring in more talent than Tubby couldve dreamed of next year.

Surely he cant be that bad, especially due to the weak conference they play in

Thats ridiculous..... they were 21-13 with not much talent under Tubby. Hardaway is bringing in a top 30 class and returning 4 senior starters this year and will bring in more talent than Tubby couldve dreamed of next year.

Surely he cant be that bad, especially due to the weak conference they play in
People forget some of the classes tubby brought in. Crawford, Rondo, Morris, Bradley was almost (but not quite) Cal level.

Of course the very next year he brought in Jared Carter, Rekalin Sims & Adam Williams. Which is more like St. Bonaventure level.

I'm on record multiple times saying Penny is a good ambassador for Memphis and will be given plenty of leash. He will be given the benefit of the doubt as much as possible and his hometown hero status will earn him a couple crappy seasons at the least. However, this isn't AAU anymore. If he were a great coach, he'd have been offered a job long ago. He got the job because he's coached some talented Memphis kids in AAU ball. But D1 is another gig entirely. He's a better recruiter for Memphis than Tubby but not half the coach. He's probably going to struggle being as good a recruiter as Pastner, but not as good a coach. He will be lucky to make.500 this season. Next year may be a bit better but he's got to strike while the iron is hot because once it's clear he's not going to be able to cut it, the lipstick will be off the pig and he will be in big trouble. If he can reel in some decent recruits they may be able to cover up some weaknesses. If not, Memphis will remain in obscurity.

It's a weak conference, and as long as Penny wins around 20 games and makes some tournaments, they will retain him. His bar is not that high, he doesnt have to make sweet 16's even.

I think Penny is in the ultimate position for an average coach to have a long career. I've actually adjusted on this.

Penny, in 10 years, can realistically go

year 1 - losing record
2 - losing record
3 - 5 games over .500 NIT
4 - 22 wins, NIT
5 - 23 wins - 1st round
6 - 28 wins, 1st round.
7 - 27 wins, 1st round
8 - 19 wins, NIT
9 - 24 wins, 2nd round
10 - 22 wins, NIT

And he would not lose his job. There's no one left to offer, they've tried quite a few and been turned down probably 25 times in the last decade. It's not a top 3 tier program, it's closer to WKU than Kentucky.

Can he do this? Most former players aren't great coaches, so it's not given. But he will live off of Memphis players for a while, which isn't a group I'd like to do battle with, but they are talented enough; just overrated.

I think if he surpasses this mark and achieves some sweet 16's or elite 8's, he will be offered somewhere else and yes he would leave Memphis. Memphis is not the same program it was when he played there. They are in a bad conference and will not be offered a P5 conference at any time in the future. They are a mid major for life, and if Penny is good enough, he will want to go higher than mid major status. Eventually he would definitely leave for the right job unless he's lazy and enjoys the lifetime contract for being mediocre if he chooses to golf most of his time.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16514

#81 MEMPHIS MEN'S BASKETBALL 2018-2019 PREVIEW

Memphis Tigers
2018-2019 Overall Rank: #81
Conference Rank: #6 American

"Memphis parted ways with Tubby Smith after just two seasons. And the Tigers had a successful campaign in 2017-2018, winning 21 games. The Tigers replaced Smith with former Memphis superstar Penny Hardaway. The top four scorers are back and that is a great place for Coach Hardaway to start. It remains to be seen how the future of this program will go with Hardaway leading the way, but for now this is a Memphis team that should be a contender in the American Athletic Conference.

2017-18 Record: 21-13, 10-8
2017-18 Postseason: None
Coach: Penny Hardaway
Coach Record: 0-0 at Memphis, 0-0 overall

Projection:
Jeremiah Martin had an amazing junior campaign, averaging 18.9 points, 3.8 assists and 4.3 rebounds. He is back to do it again. The 6-3 guard is not the most consistent shooter around, but he can obviously do a ton of scoring. Martin did lead the team with 51 three-pointers, but connected on just 32.7 percent of his attempts from long range. If he can be more consistent shooting the ball, there may not be any defender who can contain him. Kareem Brewton and wing Raynere Thornton are seniors who will add experience to the backcourt. The frontcourt returns Kyvon Davenport and Mike Parks. Davenport averaged 13.3 points and a team high 6.1 rebounds and 1.2 blocks. The 6-8 senior is a dynamic scorer who can score in the paint and step outside and knock down some shots. Junior college transfer Isaiah Maurice adds some depth to the frontcourt. But the best of the newcomers are freshmen. Coach Hardaway brings in a five man freshman class, highlighted by guards Tyler Harris, Antwann Jones and Alex Lomax.

Projected Postseason Tournament: NIT

Reactions: UKUGA
Penny will obviously land a few kids from his pipeline. The difference for me is that he has Sam Mitchell on his bench. Really comes down to how he does as a recruiter. Does he stick with Penny long-term or is this just a paycheck until he finds another NBA job?

I think Memphis makes the tournament most years under Penny, but they won't be setting the world on fire like some of their fans are hoping. It's hard to recruit elite players. Once the pipeline runs dry, Penny will actually have to earn his paycheck and recruit kids he doesn't have a relationship with. That stuff is difficult.

Last edited:
Tubby had them trending in the right direction at the end of their season....now is Penny a guy who can get the most out of his guys and make the right in-game adjustments? Remains to be seen.

They will struggle to make the NIT may win 17 to 18 games and finish middle of the pack or lower in conference play.

Me.

I think they will be skilled and have strong rosters.
The question is whether or not they will be well-coached. This is next-level stuff for Penny. We will find out if he is up to it.

But he will certainly have the “Jessie’s and the Joes” ... at least until/if he proves incapable of effectively coaching em up.

He'll be the Jerry Faust of Memphis basketball, for those who remember that ridiculous hire by Notre Dame.

Actually Jerry Faust was a fantastic coach with national championships at "Moe."

Penny OTOH has not coached much of anything until now. He did an admirable thing stepping in for his friend with that HS program....but he does not even belong in the same discussion of a successful HS coach as Jerry Faust.

It is honestly hard to predict. History suggests the outcome won't be great. He has no college coaching experience but connections to land good recruits. However, AAU coaching is fine when you play mediocre teams but the 500 and above will typically beat AAU ball with defensive discipline. But, he has brought on some good assistants and so if this is a five year plan, eventually he could have a very good program.

If he gets Wiseman and some other top recruits the best scenerio for us is to see them flop as a team. It could actually help in the long run. Sort of like what happened with LSU.

I would like a refresh of people’s thoughts on this.

Thank you.

I have long believed that great former players make awful coaches. A great coach does not even have to be a former player. A great coach must be a great teacher IMO.....though with his high name recognition he may be able to recruit. What he does with them after that point.....TBD

I have long believed that great former players make awful coaches. A great coach does not even have to be a former player. A great coach must be a great teacher IMO.....though with his high name recognition he may be able to recruit. What he does with them after that point.....TBD

Larry Bird is one of the rare exceptions.

Reactions: Aike
Larry Bird is one of the rare exceptions.

I tried to think of a great player who became a great coach in really any sport and cannot come up with any. I think that most GREAT coaches have been at best, average players. Being a great former player simply gives you fame and street cred. Great players should probably stick to doing commentary from the booth and let the coaches who have proved greatness as a coach...do their jobs.

Penny IMO will make very little progress as a coach. His name will fade as the losses add up.

Pat Riley? Probably not a great player but certainly a very good player back in the day. And really it is debatable how much coaching is important in the NBA. I think most if not all associate great basketball coaches as being in the NCAA not NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT