ADVERTISEMENT

Who replaces Donovan if he leaves?

tank2009

Sophomore
Feb 12, 2009
Do they promote from withen (pelphrey or Grant) or go after Archie Miller, Chris Mack or someone outside the box like Alabama did with Johnson?

Miller would be my guess.

Shaka would've been a natural fit. I think they go outside the family and go with the best candidate. It shocks me nobody has really made a run at Archie Miller yet.

Definitely not promoting those guys (Grant? He was fired from Alabama lol.). I'd imagine they'd target Miller, but if Donovan is leaving in part because of fan support, that's not a glowing recommendation. However, money talks and I'd say whoever they get will be paid pretty well.

If they're not willing to start investing in basketball and upgrading facilities...they may not be an attractive option for a lot of the top tier candidates...

Word will get out that Billy bounced because he got fed up...20 years and two titles at a program, and he bounces...doesn't paint a great picture as to what may be going on behind scenes...

All the guys that would have been worth looking into have settled...

at this point Grant would be an option if he didn't bounce to the pros with Billy...

SEC experience, final 4, championship as assistant under Billy...wouldn't break the bank...

if the Gators aren't looking to focus on Basketball, Grant may be the type of guy you want...

You don't go after a big boy unless you are serious and ready to spend money...every candidate towards the top of the lis will demand that Basketball upgrades be in the works...Gators have to get their football back on track...maybe in 3-4 years they can start to think about basketball again...
This post was edited on 4/17 5:29 PM by truebluewildcat

Marshall, Archie Miller, I think they'd give a look at Grant since he was going to be their guy when Billy bolted to Orlando.

My guess is that they promote Anthony Grant and keep it in the family. If Donovan leaves, it'll be well known that he left because he was displeased with the school's lack of respect in regards to the basketball program and it may be hard to wrangle a top flight coach if they have to come in and at least match what Billy D did (2 National titles, 4 Final Fours, 4 SEC Tourney titles, 6 SEC regualr season championships, and average 25 wins a year for 19 seasons) and still not earn any respect for the basketball program .

Florida is a job Gregg Marshall would normally take imo. Whether UF wants him and whether he wants to burn WSU after some suspense earlier are big questions.

I truly believe Donovan is waiting as late as possible to go to the NBA, that way for sure the job would go to one of his assistants. Its hard to go out and get a top notch coach in June and July compared to March or April. If he goes, it'll be late summer, then the Mighty Gators get back to being a nobody again. But, I wouldn't be surprised that in 3 or 4 years if Cal retires or ventures to the NBA that we wouldn't get Billy after the Nba

I'm not sure it's a good enough job to pull a guy like Marshall. He's waiting on a sure thing. Donovan basically is Florida, and I think that leaves with him. If the guy who built the program can't get the support he wants, you think they're going to roll out the red carpet for anyone else?

I mean, football is their sport and they don't seem to be able to get that one right lately either.

Think there is more to it than fan support for BD. He has talked in the past about only wanting to deal with basketball. In the Pros its all BBALL no class, no recruiting, no restrictions on how much you can practice,etc.

If Billy D. goes pro who ever gets the UF job will have one of the biggest recruiting bases in the U.S. Not only does Fl..produce a lot of 4 and 5 star players in virtually every HS sport but they have basketball factories like Monteverde. A coach of any sport at UF should be successful.

Mack would be a real shocker to the community. He was hired precisely to keep around for quite some time and remain a part of the city where he was raised. Unlike Bob Staak, Pete Gillen, Skip Prosser and Sean Miller.

Foley historically has hired up and comers, this hire would shock me if they were a proven guy

Darkhorse candidate ......Larry Shyatt, current HC at Wyoming. He was the Gators ' Defensive Coordinator ' during their back to back NC seasons. He knows the landscape in Gainsville, and got Wyoming to the Big dance this year !

Ok, for you guys talking about not upgrading facilities as a reason Donovan would leave, UF is doing a $60 million renovation of the O'Connell next year. Completely rebuilding it.

As for Donovan himself, he has stated on numerous occasions he is "intrigued" by the NBA and its "all ball, all the time" focus. I don't really blame him.

Finally, I would like to see us go after Archie Miller, and there has been talk by insiders that this is exactly where Foley would start the coaching search. Money isn't an issue.

Originally posted by tank2009:
Do they promote from withen (pelphrey or Grant) or go after Archie Miller, Chris Mack or someone outside the box like Alabama did with Johnson?

Miller would be my guess.
Miller would be a good get for UF and the SEC.

Originally posted by Ole Poop:
Spending 60 mill on the O Dome is throwing good money after bad.
I agree. $60M is not enough to fix that glorified high school gym like it should be.

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:
Darkhorse candidate ......Larry Shyatt, current HC at Wyoming. He was the Gators ' Defensive Coordinator ' during their back to back NC seasons. He knows the landscape in Gainsville, and got Wyoming to the Big dance this year !
That's the first name to pop into my head.

Son of Fifteeno
laugh.r191677.gif

pitino1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT