ADVERTISEMENT

Who invented the jump shot? Documentary sets record straight

Harry Sadler , Summer Shade HS and WKU 1935-39) was shooting the jump shot before anyone else.If they want to set the record straight go make a documentary about him.He is in WKU's athletic hall of fame,held scoring records till Clem Haskins came along.

Summer Shade. That’s close to my neck of the woods. That explains a lot, Sadler was probably set to shoot at the peach basket on the side of the barn when a rattle snake crawled between his feet.
Harry told many stories about playing for Coach Diddle (your rattle snake one is pretty good)

One of the better ones was one night Harry was off and he missed about 6 shots in a row.Diddle told him during a time out " I told you that shot was unorthodox and wouldn't work" A game or two after that Harry was hot and hit like 7 or 8 in a row,on the next trip down the court Diddle jumped off the bench and yelled "Harry,Shoot that shot I taught you"

This was a small write up from and article I read. It seems like there are a few players that are given credit for this. Joseph Franklin Fulks was to basketball what Babe Ruth was to baseball and has been referred to by many as the "father of the modern game." Jumping, spinning and scoring from everywhere on the court, the lanky western Kentucky lad helped pave the way for professional basketball to become the sport it is today. Fulks alone was credited with introducing the modern-day jump shot that revolutionized professional basketball - thus earning him the nickname "jumping Joe" Fulks. On February 10, 1949 he recorded one of the greatest individual performances in the history of the game, scoring 63 points with the Philadelphia Warriors. That record endured for ten years.

This was a small write up from and article I read. It seems like there are a few players that are given credit for this. Joseph Franklin Fulks was to basketball what Babe Ruth was to baseball and has been referred to by many as the "father of the modern game." Jumping, spinning and scoring from everywhere on the court, the lanky western Kentucky lad helped pave the way for professional basketball to become the sport it is today. Fulks alone was credited with introducing the modern-day jump shot that revolutionized professional basketball - thus earning him the nickname "jumping Joe" Fulks. On February 10, 1949 he recorded one of the greatest individual performances in the history of the game, scoring 63 points with the Philadelphia Warriors. YouThat record endured for ten years.
You are absolutely correct. I'm friends with his grandson. He's the one that put the jump shot throughout the country. He's from around Kuttawa and lived in Marshall for years. I played against one of his sons in the 60's.

Reactions: Backer cutter
JJ- you are so right. He also invented the flop, trip, chest stomp, and constipated turtle stare. Man is a legend.

also invented the “my back is hurt,
I have to sit the rest of this season out cause I know we suck and will lose a lot of games and I don’t want them to count on my coaching record so put them on my assistant coaches record”
move. It’s only been used one time so far, but I hear there are others just like it he could pull out of his bag of tricks anytime.

You are absolutely correct. I'm friends with his grandson. He's the one that put the jump shot throughout the country. He's from around Kuttawa and lived in Marshall for years. I played against one of his sons in the 60's.
Not to dispute anything you say except Harry Sadler was shooting a jump shot in the 1930's at WKU and before that in high school.There has to be some film around somewhere.

Joe Fulk's prolly gets more of the credit for it because he was an NBA Hall of Famer and scoring champion and an NBA all star, although some others were credited with it before him. Four people were given credit for it when you look it up.

Last edited:
Not to dispute anything you say except Harry Sadler was shooting a jump shot in the 1930's at WKU and before that in high school.There has to be some film around somewhere.
Didn't say he invented the jump shot but He's the one that that made it so popular with his stardom for the 76er's. When your called jumping Joe, hall of fame and score 60 plus points in the 40's people notice.

Reactions: docholiday51
ADVERTISEMENT