ADVERTISEMENT

Who goes. Who stays.

Owen68

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 1, 2012
Let’s suppose everybody declares for the draft.

Diallo: Won’t be drafted. Will go anyway. G League or overseas.

Knox: Late 1st round. May come back and try for Lottery next year.
I think he stays.

Alexander: Late 1st round. May go because we have two guards coming in. I think he stays but may be gone.

Washington: Will be back.

Richards: 2nd round. I think he comes back. Hi

Green: Will be back.

Vanderbilt: Could go Late 1st round on potential alone. I think he stays but may be gone.

Gabriel: 2nd round. I think he comes back.

Jones: 2nd round. I think he comes back.

1 gone Diallo
1 probably Knox
2 maybe Alexander, Vanderbilt

6 will be back.

If you do the research we have 4 guys that could go first round based on potential alone. Knox,Diallo,Alexander, and Vanderbilt are all looming in the 1st round on most mock drafts. In my opinion knox is the only one that has any business going but we all know that money talks. Do you take a chance on your stock dropping if you come back to school or take the first round money?

Reactions: Fox2monk
If you do the research we have 4 guys that could go first round based on potential alone. Knox,Diallo,Alexander, and Vanderbilt are all looming in the 1st round on most mock drafts. In my opinion knox is the only one that has any business going but we all know that money talks. Do you take a chance on your stock dropping if you come back to school or take the first round money?
Vanderbilt might be the worst offensive player Cal has ever gotten and I'm not exaggerating. He'll be back 100%. The other 3 I think go.

Knox is still listed on the Wooden Watch for PoY in college basketball. Because these fools (including the scouts) don't watch the tape. They get the measurements, stats and what school they are from. "Best player on powerhouse program Kentucky? Haven't seen him play once but stick him on the Wooden Watch List."

Not a single player on this current roster is physically or mentally ready for the NBA. They could all benefit coming back next year and some would benefit coming back for a few years.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The question that is probably more relevant is who will they listen to and do they really want to be in college?

I have doubts as to whether any of these players will actually be drafted. But perhaps the G League is more appealing to these kids, they at least get paid and can join an NBA team at any time.

I'm not sure if the draft holds that much appeal for everyone any more. Plus these kids are going to be looking over their shoulders at next year's incoming freshmen and how much real playing time will they get for their sophomore years?

If the NBA was smart they'd expand the G League. Drop the one and done rule. And treat the NBA more like the MLB. Draft players out of high school if you want, but they'll probably sit in the G League for a few years, earning a small paycheck, and learning about the game like they would at the college level before reaching the NBA. This would also make it easier for colleges to require players stay 2 or 3 years.

Diallo: 2nd Round. Will go anyway. G League or overseas.

Knox: LOTTO. Gone

Alexander: Returns

Washington: 2nd Round. Will go anyway.

Richards: Returns. Has no attention whatsoever from any draft level.

Green: Returns

Vanderbilt: Returns. Needs to work on actually putting the ball in the basket.

Gabriel: Returns and returns again to graduate.

Jones: Who the hell is this?

3 gone: Knox, Diallo, Washington.

5 return: Shai, Richards, Green, Vanderbilt, Gabriel

And who the hell is "Jones"?

Knox is on the verge of dropping out of the lottery. He was as high as 6 in some mock drafts and is now fallen as far as 11th, high as 9.

If I had to bet.. I'm gonna say Knox and Diallo go. I think Shai could go, but I think he knows his game needs work. He grew up thinking he needed 3-4 years of college ball anyways. It was only for a 3-4 week period that he was in the lottery and he has since fallen back a bit.

We'll probably have one transfer: I's say either Tai or possibly SKJ. It wouldn't surprise me if Green transferred either, but think it's unlikely he does.

After that everyone comes back. PJ, JV, Richards, Gabriel.. none of them are going to wow the scouts in the next few months. If anything, they'll continue to show that they just aren't ready for the pros after one year.

Reactions: UKMKG
Supposedly last year Diallo was early 2nd, with a slim chance at late 1st. He's NOT raised his stock this winter, if anything he has lowered it. I imagine he'll be told the same stuff by teams this spring. But I think he wants to go, even if it means D/G league. 90% gone.

Knox is projected anywhere from 9 to 16. With his play really not improving as the season goes on, and others potentially raising their stock, I see him this spring projected 12-19. I think he goes, but wouldn't be shocked if he returned to go top 5 & get that bigger first contract. 85% gone.

SGA is an interesting one. Good at lots of things, not great at any. Not a scoring PG, not an assist PG, not a shooter or SG. I doubt teams will see him as a potential starter, but rather someone they can bring off the bench at either position. I know he's being projected 15-25, but is that really worth a guy without a high ceiling? But on the other hand, I can't see his stock going up much if any if he did return. 75% gone

Washington, undersized PF or under-skilled SF, under-performing this year, he be back! 10% gone

Richards, well you can't teach his height. I think he would be in the very late 1st or (much more likely) early-mid 2nd. But I think he has shown enough that he has a really high ceiling for next year, and very well could become a lottery pick, maybe top 10. 30% gone

Green is a short PG, who hasn't shown yet to be a great scorer, isn't a great passer, or defender. Unless he transfers he will return (1% gone), in fact he is only 10% gone before his SR year.

SKJ is a contributor that isn't quite yet a 2nd round pick. He could become one next year. 1% gone.

Gabriel could be a late 2nd round pick. Others say for him it's financial (need), so he could leave knowing he would be in the D/G league, or to play overseas. 30% gone.

Vanderbilt, I guess a team could take a chance on him very late in the 1st, but I think it is much more likely he is a 2nd given that his shooting range = the length of his arms. He doesn't need to become a 3pt shooter, just hit the 15' shots like SKJ and he becomes a potential lottery pick. 20% gone

So overall, I'd say
5% chance 0 leave
10% chance 1 leaves
35% chance 2 leaves
35% chance 3 leaves
10% chance 4 leaves
5% chance 5+ leaves

Kentucky is going to look real nice next season. I'm not sure any of the returnees will be superstars. But they'll have grown, and they'll shore up on a lot of the mistakes they made this year. They'll know each other, they'll begin to play for the school.

This current team beats itself.. that won't happen nearly as much next year. You're going to have to win the game on your own, not rely on.. say.. 3 dumb turnovers in a row to cost us last night's game.

I can't wait, TBH.

Knox on the Wooden watch list, lmao.

Just get the NBA out of college basketball all together this is beyond ridiculous.

If you want to be a pro you cannot play college basketball. My new rule.

1. I can live with Knox leaving and I think we'd be OK w/o him next year.
2. I personally think Diallo would hurt more than help UK. Cal is too tempted to play higher rated kids and we have good SG options next year w/o Diallo.
3. The kid that I'll be pissed if he leaves is Shai. We really need him back to be a legit title contender next year. Green is a bust and will be marginally improved at UK but he's not a top tier PG ever at UK. But Shai is a long kid, good scorer at the rim and can grow into a hell of PG/SG next year.

I don't even know why we'd talk of anyone else leaving but given Cal's history...we'll lose 1-2 guys between Wenyen, Nick, Vanderbilt and PJ....and never a given than Sacha will look to transfer. So probably same old roster turnover crap is what I'd expect but hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
1. I can live with Knox leaving and I think we'd be OK w/o him next year.
2. I personally think Diallo would hurt more than help UK. Cal is too tempted to play higher rated kids and we have good SG options next year w/o Diallo.
3. The kid that I'll be pissed if he leaves is Shai. We really need him back to be a legit title contender next year. Green is a bust and will be marginally improved at UK but he's not a top tier PG ever at UK. But Shai is a long kid, good scorer at the rim and can grow into a hell of PG/SG next year.

I don't even know why we'd talk of anyone else leaving but given Cal's history...we'll lose 1-2 guys between Wenyen, Nick, Vanderbilt and PJ....and never a given than Sacha will look to transfer. So probably same old roster turnover crap is what I'd expect but hope I'm wrong.

Green is a bust? Only you put him as a top tier guard coming in if you think this.

Seriously? Why cant everybody be John Wall...huh?

Amazing...

Lots of whining by you K Time...and its only speculation.

Green is a bust? Only you put him as a top tier guard coming in if you think this.

Seriously? Why cant everybody be John Wall...huh?

Amazing...

Lots of whining by you K Time...and its only speculation.

Yes, people like K-Time is part of the problem. They expect every PG to be Wall or Fox. Every big man to be Cousins or Davis or Towns. Players get better, especially from the FR to Soph year.
And as for the PG position, Quickley sounds like a pretty good one coming in, NOT Wall or Fox, sounds somewhere between Knight and Teague or Andrew.

where's the beating a dead horse meme ?
Let's see we've had the "who goes, who stays" thread, the "who replaces Cal" thread, the "___needs to start" thread, the "calling out the fanbase" thread, and the "what happened to Cal's recruiting" thread. Pretty sure nothings left to even beat on that horse.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Here op

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/official-who-stays-who-goes-thread.256447/

I'm going to stick with what I had

Gabriel-not buying the overseas garbage

Sga-toss up sure he looks good on a bad team but one more yr he could be a sure fire lottery pick

Diallo- will probably go but won't be drafted in round 1

Knox-gone

Vanderbilt-8 games and hasn't scored 8 points he has no business thinking NBA. The potential is there but if he comes back he could be a potential lottery pick

Pj-gotta come back undersized and disappears at times

Green- NBA? Lol

Richards-not ready yet dakari was twice as better and he had to stay two years to be drafted in the 2nd round

I know people want him gone but would like diallo back as cal will help him improve furthermore you will have shooters in baker herro and quickly that will open up lanes for guys like sga and diallo to drive through which is when they are at their best

We desperately need another big body of some sort for next years team unless you're enjoying this season.

I’m going to be very honest. I hope I’m dead wrong. I usually am. Just ask my wife.

Stays:
Jones
Gabriel
Green
Washington

Goes:
Knox
Alexander
Richards
Vanderbilt
Diallo

Reactions: crpoore
Yeah, Knox is going lottery this year. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Knox is the second coming of James Young. He's LAZY and can't/won't guard an old lady in a walker. Knox is inconsistent with his shooting. Compare him to Booker...no contest.

GBB!!!

Knox is the second coming of James Young. He's LAZY and can't/won't guard an old lady in a walker. Knox is inconsistent with his shooting. Compare him to Booker...no contest.

GBB!!!
I liked James Young.

I like Knox also, but his mind seems to wonder off at times. He’ll be awesome by the time he’s a Senior.

Reactions: crpoore
Green is a bust and will be marginally improved at UK but he's not a top tier PG ever at UK[/QUOTE

Dude put down the crack pipe he has shown flashes. He will be here 3-4 years and be a great leader. Just because he was a mcds all American not dropping 24 a game doesn't make him a bust he just needs to develop he will be fine.

GBB!!!
James young went 17th in the draft. I think Knox would be fine with that pick, but he'll probably go a little higher. Call him what you want he's going to get paid.

Boy do I hope you’re right.

I can’t imagne the fan base if there’s another mass exodus.(Rightfully so)
I just can't imagine anyone advising them they are ready (outside of Knox, and even that's still mostly potential). No way Cal can tell any of these kids they are ready. I think next year is gonna be a good one!

ADVERTISEMENT