ADVERTISEMENT

Who Do You Think Will Win The NCAA Tournament ?

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
This year has been the most crazy when it comes to top teams losing in a long time. Do you all think one of the blue bloods rebounds from the losses and wins it, or is this the year a 1983 NC State type team wins it? At the start of the year most felt the winner would likely be one of a handful of teams (Kentucky, Kansas, Maryland, Duke, North Carolina, etc). Other teams started rising up (Michigan St, Oklahoma) as contenders. Most of those teams have had bad losses and might not be the contenders they once were thought to be.

Then you have surprise teams like Clemson, who won a number of big games in a row up until the loss to Virginia. I think this might be the year that a team like a Villanova or Virginia (one that wins tons of games but is rarely in the discussion after the first weekend in the tournament) is able to win the title due to a ton of upsets. I don't really have a clue who I think will win it. I just hope Kentucky rebounds from the poor start and is in the discussion by tournament time.

As much as I'd like to say Kentucky, I just don't see it right now. Things could change and we do have the players to make a strong push but our bigs will have to step up their game exponentially in order for that to happen.

As of right now, its hard to say who the favorite will be to win it all. If you had to make me pick one I would say North Carolina ([sick]) but they are very capable of turning in a stinker at any time, just like everybody else.

The selection committee will work their magic as usual to give the tobacco road teams the best draw, but it won't help. It's wide open this year as there are no truly dominate teams. Whoever gets hot in the tourney will win. Hope it's the Cats.

I have no clue, pretty much every team sucks and has major holes this year. If only we had last year's team this year, we would sleep walk to the title.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
I think some team or stand out player will get hot like Kemba did a few years ago and carry them to the title.

This has been the year of the upset and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6 seed or lower win the whole thing.

I think some team or stand out player will get hot like Kemba did a few years ago and carry them to the title.

This has been the year of the upset and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6 seed or lower win the whole thing.
Which is why I think Oklahoma may win it. Buddy is this type of player. Though Oklahoma won't be under the radar like that UConn team was.

And actually I'd be happy if it's Oklahoma (if UK can't win it) over UNC, KU, Duke, Michigan State, etc.

I agree with jedwar as has been said anyone might get hot and win but bad as I hate to think it UNC is the most bulletproof of all the teams they have al the pieces to take on the most adversity. In light of all that has happened over there they should not even be allowed to participate.

Reactions: Brando Mac
As much as I hate to say it, UNC is best built to win it all.

Probably someone that isn't even in the top 25 right now. It's one of those years. Someone is going to get scalding hot right as the tournament is starting. All these teams that are burning it up right now will fade.
This has happened too often in down years like this to be ignored.
Who knows, maybe UK will be that team.

Couldn't tell you.

Don't trust Kansas at all, especially their guards and Self's bigs rotation.

UNC's adjD is in the 60s...and this is with a veteran team, so not sure how much they can get.

Michigan State is solid but lacks elite talent.

Villanova seems too reliant on the 3.

Maryland plays so many close games, have to think that will bite them in March.

I like Oklahoma.

Then you have the upside teams like UK and Duke, but I just don't think either have it this year- UK lacks toughness and consistency inside and Duke can't stop dribble penetration.

Total crapshoot. Down year. May be whoever gets lucky and hot.

UNC is best team by wide margin IMO they have it all.

How do they have it all? Their adjD is 66 right now and it's not like they have upside there. This is a veteran squad.

It's Carolina by a lot. Meeks, Paige, Jackson, Johnson can all play.
I hate it but that the reality of it.

Everyone sucks this year. I'll guess at a FF but it doesn't matter.

OK, KU, UNC and Maryland, with OK taking it all. But I have no faith in any of those picks.

It'll come down to who's on a tear at the end of the year, ala UConn 2011 & 2014. I don't think it'll be us, but there's literally no reason it can't be. This may be as down as CBB has been in 15 years.

I'm hoping Kentucky

This ^^^!

But for betting purposes, I would give you your choice of 4 teams, and happily take the Field. I'd consider even giving you 6 or 8 teams.
I don't think there is a single team I'd be willing to bet makes the F4 (that is rare).
But if I had to predict/pick one, I guess I'd go with Michigan St. They were playing really well before Valentine got hurt, and he will be back. And even with just OK teams, Izzo seems to often make the Elite 8 or Final 4. In a year of balance, a very good coach may be the difference.

This year has been the most crazy when it comes to top teams losing in a long time. Do you all think one of the blue bloods rebounds from the losses and wins it, or is this the year a 1983 NC State type team wins it? At the start of the year most felt the winner would likely be one of a handful of teams (Kentucky, Kansas, Maryland, Duke, North Carolina, etc). Other teams started rising up (Michigan St, Oklahoma) as contenders. Most of those teams have had bad losses and might not be the contenders they once were thought to be.

Then you have surprise teams like Clemson, who won a number of big games in a row up until the loss to Virginia. I think this might be the year that a team like a Villanova or Virginia (one that wins tons of games but is rarely in the discussion after the first weekend in the tournament) is able to win the title due to a ton of upsets. I don't really have a clue who I think will win it. I just hope Kentucky rebounds from the poor start and is in the discussion by tournament time.

***This is a hard one to answer this year.

The only "blue blood" that seems like they're getting their shi! together is UNC. And weren't they preseason No. 1 & look like they'll be No. 1 again in the next poll.

I think they're the favorite, but I could see this be one of those years like when UConn got hot in the Big East Tourney that one year and kind of came out of left field (in terms of didn't see them coming AT ALL until early March at the earliest) so there is that possibility I think. Not even sure who I'd nominate for such a run though....maybe Providence even - Kris Dunn plays the role of Kemba Walker?

All the UNC talk and they haven't played anybody on the road yet worth a damn.. UCLA I guess but they layed down in the second half... They still have to play Mia,puke,NC state( road ), Clemson ( road) ? Anyway, we'll see what they're talking about after those. Won't be #1 I can tell you that.. I think Mia takes the ACC this year..

Oh yeah, Kentucky wins it all..

Never count out K and Cal in March.

I think it will be UNC, which will be a travesty since they should already be on probation.

If there is any justice in the sports world, then UNC bows out early. They do not deserve another banner of any type.

Worst case scenarios for champions:

UNC- cheaters win it all, what a shame.
UofL- ditto.
Duke- another title for K. Ugh.
KU- their fans would never leave our board if they win it. I would hate to have to listen to them go on and on about the greatness of Self all offseason.
UConn- with three titles in six seasons, they would arguably be the best program right now.
IU- that would bring all their fans out of their holes and we would be overrun by Clappy Happy Hoosiers!
UCLA- they don't need to extend their title lead on us.

Possible scenarios I could live with:

Oklahoma- wouldn't mind seeing them finally get a title.
Michigan St.- their fans would be tough to have to listen to, but I like Izzo.
Virginia- one of the few ACC teams I can tolerate.
Any SEC team (though A&M is the only one that has any kind of shot other than UK).

Best case scenarios:

UK- of course.
Some mid-major nobody wins it all.
Any power conference team that has never won a title before.

It is a crazy year, and looks to be a year anyone in the top 20-30 could get hot and do it. If I had to bet though I'd go with UNC or KU. About the last two teams I'd like to see win it other than IU or UL. I'd give all of them more of chance than the Cat's. Right now I'd guess this team will be lucky to make the Sweet 16. If they make the NCAA at all. That's all I'm really hoping for at this point.

One of those odd years when there is no clear cut group of teams that are clearly the cream of the crop and bound for a final 4...

you can just go chalk with the top 6-8 and say they all have a great shot at making a run...but then you keep going on down the line and see many teams that are just as talented and have just as good of a shot...

I think seeding this year is really going to play a role because there is such parity...there are some teams that are looking great now, but unless they get the absolute easiest road possible they could easily come across a team that could beat them early on in the dance...

Aggies, Terps, Villinova, Iowa, WVU...all having great years...but they don't have the march pedigrees or big stage and bright lights experience that other programs do...they could all just as easily come across a Monmouth, Wichita St, Gonzaga, IU, or St. Mary's early on and get beat...

it's years like this you got to really keep an eye on the big boys that have the pedigree, big stage experience, and coaches that know how to navigate march...even if they are not having spectacular years or dominating opponents...

so we have UNC, Kansas looking really good...top programs, top coaches, march pedigrees...

then we have Duke, UK, UL...not really top 10 material this year...but come march could be in the mix if they hit their stride late and really head into the dance with some momentum...Pitino and K can navigate march like no other...Cal as well, and he will also have 5 guys with a lot of big stage experience and making a final 4 run...

MSU is lurking just outside the top 10 and not really drawing a lot of attention...always have to keep an eye on them...they can fly under the radar all season and not make a lot of waves then end up in the final 4...

Arizona is out there quietly having a pretty good year...2 of their 3 losses are to top 25 teams...they have the top shelf talent...Miller is a top coach that is really on the brink of breaking through...

All the UNC talk and they haven't played anybody on the road yet worth a damn.. UCLA I guess but they layed down in the second half... They still have to play Mia,puke,NC state( road ), Clemson ( road) ? Anyway, we'll see what they're talking about after those. Won't be #1 I can tell you that.. I think Mia takes the ACC this year..

Oh yeah, Kentucky wins it all..
Miami is doing they're best impersonation of… well, Miami. They have begun their descent and will continue to plummet.

I really like Iowa and WVU as 3-4 seeds to make a huge run.

OU is the best bet.
If Iowa keeps it up they'll be a 1 seed. Think about that for a second. Iowa as a 1 seed. That's how bad it is this year.
IDC, I want Villanova to get a 1 and for UK to be the 4 in their region.

Reactions: hoosier48
It is a crazy year, and looks to be a year anyone in the top 20-30 could get hot and do it. If I had to bet though I'd go with UNC or KU. About the last two teams I'd like to see win it other than IU or UL. I'd give all of them more of chance than the Cat's. Right now I'd guess this team will be lucky to make the Sweet 16. If they make the NCAA at all. That's all I'm really hoping for at this point.
Seriously? If they make the NCAA at all??? Did you rewatch the Auburn game or something?
Barring injury, nobody will want to see UK in their bracket on Selection Sunday just like they didn't in 11 and 14.

I really like Iowa and WVU as 3-4 seeds to make a huge run.

OU is the best bet.

Iowa is another team I wouldn't mind seeing win it all. If they are in the Final Four, I am pulling for them (unless we make it of course).

Oklahoma vs. Iowa would be a cool title game, though the ratings would be terrible, most likely, I would enjoy it.

UNC

My FF as of now:
UNC
WVU
OK
TAM

Wide open this year.
Have to agree with you(but don't like the conclusions we come to) It will come down to match-ups(as usual)you could see a team like Purdue or Miami go deep

ADVERTISEMENT